Author Topic: The Rumour Mill: Chaos Dwarves  (Read 5642 times)

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Rumour Mill: Chaos Dwarves
« on: June 03, 2011, 01:28:30 AM »
I am back, this time with some solid stuff on an upcoming release.  Chaos Dwarves are back and being made by Forgeworld.

Tamurkhan is due out in July 2011. The Chaos Dwarfs were primairliy designed to be used as a contingent to add to the Warrior's of Chaos army, however the book contains a FULL playable Chaos Dwarf Army List with many options and upgrades.

The new Chaos Dwarf infantry (Infernal Guard) are Chaos Dwarf Slaves that are forced to wear the full suit of armour and full face helmet before being unleashed on the Chaos Dwarfs enemies. The champion has no full face helmet which is a reward from his captors.

Most of the warmachines had two pages of rules/background/stats etc some of this stuff is going to be complicated to use. The Warsmiths also had a huge amount of original rules and exciting options.

Warmachines can be connected to form a seige train, however it costs a ton of points.

Update from a couple of gents who got to look at the book and talk to the author.

led 571 Wrote:
Chaos Dwarfs do have them as a list that you can use them on there own, bull centaurs are monstrous beasts and hob goblins are in!

blunderbuss have extra rules for the size of the unit. a unit 10+ gets no modifiers for long range or stand and shoot a unit 20+ also gets to reroll to hit or wound (sorry cant remember which).  
Quote led 571 Wrote:
Only strength 3 with armour piecing and can't remember the range, they where saying it should be going to the printers in July.  
Quote Valaraukar via Kroothawk Wrote:
That reminds me, Alan Bligh the author of the new Tamurkhan book mentioned that the Chaos Dwarves would have a special character Great Taurus in addition to the standard one and that these would now be constructs powered by bound fire demons. He also said there would a monstrous infantry incarnation of these so giant flame filled suits of animated armour!

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer/CHAOS_DWARFS
And here's a look at the new models.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 01:30:02 AM by phoenixguard09 »
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Rumour Mill: Chaos Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 09:25:24 AM »
OK where do I start ? Their price is way too high and they aren't exactly as detailed as Maanan's Blades, for example. And they don't have almost any variety. They look like an army of clones. Same poses, same armors, same shields... And that's a bit disappointing for Chaos dwarfs in my opinion. Chaos dwarfs should be crazy and interesting, not standard, uniposed and boring...
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Gen_Glory

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 08:29:12 PM »
they are a forge world expansion though, they aren't great at units (more giant war machines for them) and the only fantasy they had done before now was the greater daemons and rhinox riders, all very individual models, no proper unit
Tis but a scratch...

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 12:36:44 AM »
I dunno, I don't think they look all that bad Silver Wolf.  You are right in what you say, but the sort of mysterious simplistic look is pretty good in my opinion.  Much better than the guys with big hats.  I just hope that these ones will have a bit more of an Assyrian influence than previous incarnations.
(\__/)

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 07:12:21 PM »
I have to say, as a CD player I HATE the forge world CDs. They just don't look right, to me. The infernal guard are particularly bad.

I want more of the assyrian/hittite/sumerian feel of the old CDs, these just look like a pretty piss-poor mashup of Dwarfs, Chaos Warriors, and someone who hasn't read the Evil Overlord rules.

Also, someone seems to not know the difference between a siege train and a choo-choo train, which just adds insult to injury.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 12:36:01 AM »
Hehe yeah that's a definite point. But at least they're back right. Sometimes we've gotta focus on the good things in life. :D

And which old CD's are we referring to here Jubal? Personally I thought that the Hellcannon crew were just right. I really like those models, a perfect cross between Chaotic, Dwarves and barbaric.
(\__/)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 10:10:48 AM »
I didn't like the hellcannon either. Essentially, the old bighats looked silly 'cos the hats were too big, but culturally they were perfect. CDs shouldn't look barbaric in my opinion, they're a highly civilised and well ordered form of evil. The curly/plaited beard and tusks look was great, I think; get rid of the hats yes, but the masks don't look good either. The newer ones look too much like another branch of chaos, and I can't see any dwarf kowtowing to a bunch of human thugs in such a way.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 10:32:25 AM »
Well the almost dreadlock beards were always pretty cool but I don't know if I was ever really a fan of the tusks. Anyway myself I liked the masks on the HC crew but these new ones look a bit bland.

I'm a little confused as to what you mean about them looking like another branch of Chaos and so therefore being subservient. Wouldn't that be a good thing if they look like a different sub-denomination of Chaos? I mean they are, aren't they?
(\__/)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 11:29:09 AM »
Not really; they serve Hashut, father of darkness. Who is a Chaos god, but the whole reason he was imprisoned in the first place is that Khorne was not exactly his #1 fan. Essentially the traditional idea was that the CDs were mutated to some extent by chaos, they traded with the chaos hordes, but they were politically completely separate and would rather have cut off their own beards than actually be part of the whole "subject the world to marauding" thing.

Put it this way;
- The aim of the hordes is total chaos, under their four gods fighting amongst one another.
- The aim of the CDs is total evil order, with all other races their slaves, under their one god with the other chaos gods being put firmly in their place.
There's a big difference, and I think that should be culturally reflected.

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 01:51:18 PM »
Right that makes sense cause I've always wondered why Dwarves who are notoriously reticent to give up their old ways which in itself is basically against the whole notion of Chaos anyway, being change,(I know that is mainly Tzeentch's lookout but change is a big part of Chaos as a whole.) would suddenly develop the tendency to sprout tusks.

Anyway if Hashut is more evil order, then perhaps he's not a Chaos God at all but some bizarre and nasty Law God?
(\__/)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 03:41:36 PM »
Well, the Dwarfs found Hashut when digging under the Darklands. Khorne had imprisoned him for a few thousand years in a huge brass tomb after they'd had a spat, then the darkland dwarfs found him. At which point they were exposed to a LOT of raw chaos, which turned parts but not all of their nature (and form) to chaos. They are still not exactly good at coping with it; their wizards slowly turn to stone over time as the magic wreaks havoc with their bodies.

Hashut comes from the same stuff as Chaos, hence his powers to mutate the CDs (bull centaurs and of course the tusks). I mean, the old fluff was pretty vague really about his origins compared to the Big Four.

I prefer Hashut being evil law though; it just seems to fit the whole idea of evil dwarfs far, far better than them being an offshoot of a bunch of slavering barbaric nutters.

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 12:04:56 AM »
Oh I agree, and I did have a vague idea on the Hashut fluff, but at any point aside from one novel which I don't remember, did they actually say Hashut was a CHAOS God? I mean his nature really seems more lawful, as you are saying.

I mean the Gods of Law are still made from the same stuff as the Chaos Gods its just that they are formed from controlled emotions or some other such rot. Hang on, when I say Gods of Law you do know what I'm talking about right?
(\__/)