Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 28624 times)

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« on: November 10, 2011, 01:26:48 AM »
:) Just thought I should start this a day early. One day to go and I'm sure looking forward to it. It's going to be the best game ever. GAME OF THE YEAR!!!! ;D
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 06:59:43 AM »
IT'S OUT!!! IT'S OUT!!! GET IT ON STEAM TODAY!!! http://store.steampowered.com/app/72850/?snr=1_4_4__118

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 06:17:21 PM »
You made me buy it, and I have no regrets. It is absolutely fantastic so far, and some of the landscape is breathtaking!

Doomchild

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 06:44:59 PM »
well im still a little behind in that im yet to buy oblivian so it may take me a little while before i get it.

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 11:12:37 AM »
O.O You got it!! YAY!! ;D I really want to know more about it. I know about Werewolfs, Vampires, Dragons (Obviously) and a few other non important stuff. So how is it. Been cliff jumping yet. xP

Death Nade

• Resident drawer
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Herrooooo
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 11:29:03 AM »
I suppose this would be a neropost?

stormcloud

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Blah de blah!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 01:41:33 AM »
Necro because I can.

Reading this you may think I think otherwise, but lets get one thing strait from the offset, Skyrim is a freaking awesome game, it's very pretty, very open, very immersive....

It's also horribly paced in many aspects, none of the guilds are very long or deep, you pretty much complete a few main quests (especially mages/companion) with a couple of the "radiant" fetch/kill quests dropped around between them, then you're running the shop.

Dungeons also have very little pace, being a predictable "weak foes, repeated puzzles, big boss" formula though I welcome the predictable short cuts out because god knows I hate slogging back through the dungeon. I have however got to massively compliment that almost every dungeon I've been in has had a cool little back story if you have a look around, and I'll admit some of them break the formula a little.

The skill trees have no pace or balance, some skills are just completely useless, or the useful stuff requires little investment or the useful stuff only comes along at the end (lockpicking, skill 100, 0 perks given), and some are horribly OP and easily spammable (ohgod smiting/enchanting/alchemy)

Loot tables, oh god, why do dwemer have gold, imperial legion equipment and amulets of the nine divines scattered around, morrowind had the dwemer using their own currency, why not reiterate that? Could use some tweaking, along with the weight of dragon bones/scales, the guy with that idea can fall in a well, jeeze

Encounter tables like to roller-coaster, you will very suddenly start encountering the next version of foe you get a level or 2 of hard encounters where the boss is one shotting you with an ebony warhammer/fancy new lightning bolt spell, then stuff catches up and you start to just ease through them again.

AI still paths pretty badly and has no sense of self preservation this is emphasised by friendly NPC's who get stuck behind, or jump in the way of your sword, or by hostile NPC's that like to surrender for 5 or 6 seconds to re-gen a tiny sliver of health before standing up again.

Auto third person and overly long animation for killing moves frustrate me, sure it's cool I beheaded a guy, but his 3 friends are turning me into a handbag all the while. It also limits the usefulness of werewolf transformations because that transition is so goddamn long, and any kill animation takes forever.

On the subject of werewolves, they suck, pretty hard, the lack of equipment on transforming means you take a damage drop if you're a weapon user, and take an armour drop as an armour user, along with any cool enchantments you have. Vampires too, it isn't as difficult to live as one in Skyrim, but they have also lost some power.

The lack of any major racial differences, class system, or permanent birth sign, along with lackluster vamp/were, and no skills that are just mediocre (unarmed/armoured) reeks of Bethesda not wanting to give you the chance to make any bad decisions, then they lump you with a perk system that is frankly not all that great, and some bad decisions to make with that (lockpicking is pretty meh apart from one or two things, a large amount of the speech tree gives you gold and stuff, but by the time you hit level 10 you don't have money problems, and when you get mid twenties you just want to drop all your money as individual coins and swim in it)

All in all though, as I said at the beginning, I love Skyrim, it's like a GM has picked up a new game system for your group, and although it isn't that great a system, and they're not all that confident at creating dungeons yet, they've built a beautiful, expansive and rather incredible game experience.

Oh and the UI can go drop itself in a well, right next to the dragon loot guy.

I can't wait for the creators kit though, I have many ideas about things I want to try "fix"

tl;dr It's a pretty great game, but I like to nitpick things

Marcus

• Devourer of Souls
  • Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • I think, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
    • http://exilian.co.uk/
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 10:46:58 PM »
I used to spout memes, but then I took an arrow to the vocal cords.
"So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste. Use all your well learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste."

stormcloud

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Blah de blah!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 12:55:34 AM »
I used to spout memes, but then I took an arrow to the vocal cords.
Nonononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononono

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 02:34:44 AM »
I agree with pretty much every complaint you have there stormcloud. Especially

Quote from: stormcloud
Encounter tables like to roller-coaster, you will very suddenly start encountering the next version of foe you get a level or 2 of hard encounters where the boss is one shotting you with an ebony warhammer/fancy new lightning bolt spell, then stuff catches up and you start to just ease through them again.

That is the single most annoying thing I find about Skyrim. Do one dungeon and breeze through it, grow a level and then the next dungeon I try will be near impossible (woo for Draugr Deathlords around every corner). And then a few levels later it all starts over again.

Welcome back btw :) .

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 04:19:32 AM »
My biggest problem is Steam and it's infernal, "I NO LET U INSTALL FROM DISC!"
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 07:28:28 AM »
Could you not do a regular install from the disk, then import it into Steam?
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 09:37:10 AM »
Depends if its a proper install disk, some only allow you to download from Steam.

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 11:21:55 AM »
I tried the install from disc workaround. Didn't work. So I'm just downloading instead. :(
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 11:03:31 PM »
I still have a few quests from Mage college and the companions. Good stuff.
And then there are thieves and the Dark brotherhood. I can't stand those guys. I usually role play good characters and start those quests when I've exhausted all the other options.

Aaand the civil war. I still can't decide.
I dislike Imperials. Skyrim isn't their homeland. And the tried to kill my character. Who is by the way a Nord. Therefore: Maim, Kill, Burn.
I like the Stormcloaks, but by the Nine divines Ulfric is such and arrogant self-centered asshole.

Sheogorath is still as good as ever :D
I miss Shivering Isles. The best fantasy land ever.

"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."