Author Topic: Favourite Films and Reviews  (Read 14599 times)

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Favourite Films and Reviews
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 01:23:41 PM »
Rewatched Watchmen. Still amazing, The Comedian is still awesomesauce.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Lady Grey

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2015, 08:11:46 AM »
Saw 'Into The Woods' the other night.
Meh, I don't really rate it. And not because, as I'm sure fanatics tell people who don't really like it, I don't 'get' it. I do. I just... meh. It's not even the fault of the cast, it just was oddly paced, and felt like a three and a half hour film when it lasted just under two I think.
Neither do I think it's because it's a film adaptation, though I've not seen the stage show, clips I've seen of it, if anything, make that seem even worse that the film to me :/

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2015, 10:21:30 AM »
Disappointing :(

If you want an 'arty' film there is a Swedish end-of-the-world type movie called Melancholia about a depressed bride (Kirsten Dunst) who sort of just sits around being all depressed instead of being all happy because shes getting married while her sister tries to comfort her. As the planet Melancholia may or may not be heading towards Earth and about to crush it, their roles kind of reverse as Kirsten turns into the calm one and comforts her sister. Basically the film advocates depressed people in an end of the world scenario. It's a good movie though, well directed, almost well cast, well acted for the most part. Not my usual lighthearted choice in movie and there's almost no instances firearms, knife fights, slow-mo kung-fu or boobs.

I was just watching Alexander SkarsgÄrd. He so pretty. Oh also contains a minor dose of John Hurt and Kiefer Sutherland.

EDIT: It says you at the start but that wasn't actually directed at you, MoD, just a general you. The disappointing was though, sorry about that it looked alright.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2015, 12:04:55 PM »
Saw parts of Rocky 3 and Priest (the 2014 film) last night. Both were crap, hence why I only saw parts.
Watched all of The Sweeney. It was alright, pretty ridiculous though.

SaidaiSloth

• King of the sloths
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2015, 02:44:29 AM »
Recently rewatched the incredibles. It's really is quite good. If you haven't seen it, I'm interested in how comfortable it is living under a rock. Maybe you should get a monitor and copy of the incredibles under that rock.

IMO the best pixar movie. Humour, action, and it's just so much fun.

Also starting to watch Mission Impossible. Started with 4 as they're disconnected and a. According to the internet this is the best one and b. Brad Bird... the guy that made the incredibles.

Now also watched 1, and moving on to 2 and 3.

They are great films.. at least the 2 I've watched and they are, as with the incredibles very fun.
Also one of the main reasons I wanted to watch them, or at least 4, is that I want some more films to fill the gap between Avengers in april and MOTHERportugalING STARWARS in december.. and one of those happens to be Mission Impossible 5.

None of them are really connected, they're seperate stories (although it seems that MI5 may have alot more ties to the previous then the other films), so if you see something on TV or in a bargain bin, I recommend you check it out.
ADORABLENESS WARNING
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

comrade_general

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2015, 03:07:16 AM »
I watched Galaxy Quest for the first time in 15 years yesterday. Great comical sci-fi flick and obvious nod to the Star Trek universe. It's great fun to watch whether you know everything about ST such as myself or just enjoy space adventure movies in general.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2015, 11:51:17 AM »
@Armadillo, I agree about The Incredibles, they actually made a better movie from the Watchmen comics than the actual Watchmen film imo (which wasn't bad btw) :P

The movies I keep watching time and again are: The Losers, Watchmen, Warriors Way and X-Men: Days of Future Past.

Anyone else have those set of movies that you just never tire of? Guessing LotR might be prevalent here :P

SaidaiSloth

• King of the sloths
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2015, 04:04:38 AM »
Furious 7.
Bloody fantastic.
Tied with Fast 5 for the best film in the franchise for me -
-Excellent stunts and fight choreography, the camera is part of the action more than in 5 / 6, certainly not say, bourne levels but still a fair bit, I'm not the biggest fan but I liked the stunts in general about as much as 5. (the camera movement is likely due to the directors horror film history, with things like Saw and the conjuring)
-The Rock isn't in it as much as I'd like due to scheduling conflicts (with WWE I believe), but when he is in it he is the best character, as always.
-Adding to the fights are MMA champion Ronda Rousey and thai kickboxing master Tony Jaa, who also aren't in it as much as I would like but their fights are awesome
-Perfect send off for Paul Walker / Brian O Connor (Brian retires), and you don't notice the CGI unless it's pointed out to you.

-I recommend at least watching 5 and 6 before this, at the very, very minimum with some reading as well the post credits scene of 6, and tokyo drift will make some things more clear, and of course the original introduces characters.

(at least watching Fast 5 while waiting for non cinema release of Furious 7 is highly recommended, great movie.)

-Furious 7 and Fast 5 are some of the few films that I could rewatch for hours

ADORABLENESS WARNING
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lizard

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2015, 03:02:45 PM »
If you like comedy, crime noire, murder, and Robert Downey Jr being kissed by Val Kilmer, then you'll love Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

And that's really all I have to say about it, because that's all you need to know. Also I'm incredibly biased because it's my favourite film :P
A coder, a hoodie, a coffee pot, a robot.

"A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

Lady Grey

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2015, 10:00:42 PM »
I saw a few months ago, and absolutely loved, the Cinderella remake.
The scenes between Richard Madden and Derek Jacobi were particularly well acted.
It was just a lovely, uplifting, beautiful film. :)