Author Topic: But she can't sink!  (Read 3871 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: But she can't sink!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 01:09:11 PM »
Fun fact: apparently nobody used the word "unsinkable" in relation to the Titanic until AFTER it had sunk.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:25:15 PM »
Ok, maybe not that word exactly, but it was definitely a common conception that it could not be sunk.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 10:48:09 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17515305 <- First thing on the list... there were some general conceptions that it would be difficult to sink ships of that size, but the Titanic had no such specific claims made about it and wasn't even big news until she hit the iceberg. A lot of it was drummed up by the press afterwards, and the movies after that.

It's sad how it was such a perfect storm of events though; apparently had she ploughed head-on into the iceberg she'd have stayed afloat, it was the rip down the side (thus getting into too many of the ship's watertight compartments) that sank it.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 10:56:39 PM »
So it's all lies then. There probably wasn't even a ship called Titanic, and the "wreckage" was most certainly made in a water set just for the latest movie. This is a big joke!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 11:16:18 PM »
I made a mini-movie in Year 7 (first year of highschool) about how the wreck was caused by penguins who were sitting on the iceberg in wait, attacked the ship with a hydraulic ram, and then attacked the passengers with chainsaws...  :P

comrade_general

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 11:35:06 PM »
Youtube?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 04:00:01 PM »
Made and lost in filing well before I even had an account, sorry.  :(

Will

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 01:10:26 AM »
I made a mini-movie in Year 7 (first year of highschool) about how the wreck was caused by penguins who were sitting on the iceberg in wait, attacked the ship with a hydraulic ram, and then attacked the passengers with chainsaws...  :P

That sounds like it would be much more interesting than any other films about the Titanic :)

comrade_general

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 02:23:11 AM »
But I think I might go and see the re-release in 3d this weekend. :P

Andalus

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 03:20:06 PM »

Jubal you are built entirely of an alloy of win and awesome.

Made and lost in filing well before I even had an account, sorry.  :(

JUBAL YOU SUCK.
Du bist kein Schmetterling! Du bist nur eine kleine Raupe in Verkleidung!