Author Topic: Backyard Artifacts  (Read 3502 times)

comrade_general

Backyard Artifacts
« on: May 20, 2012, 07:20:11 PM »
So I'm interested to know what sort of evidence of past human activity might be lurking in the backyards of the world.

Where I live there has been a human presence for thousands of years, but very little to show for it until recently. See here a couple photos of flint arrowheads, spearheads, and a scraper that were found here and there around our house and plowed fields nearby:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm no expert on identifying which period they might be from, but here is a diagram from which possible identifications may be made:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What's interesting is that flint does not naturally occur in abundance in this particular area, which means most of the pieces we find have been brought here from a hand-dug quarry about 60 miles to the south. Also, since there weren't permanent settlements in this area at that time, these pieces just accumulated over many many years of random hunting intervals.

There have been a few different cultural periods that have existed in this area (think of them as stoneage versions of the Urnfield, Hallstatt, or La Tène cultures), all of which passed to the next and faded away. It's generally believed they disappeard (meaning absorbed) into the later woodland cultures which were here when the Europeans arrived. By then the natives were far different from these early cultures, and had begun to use the modern technology of the day, so these flint projectiles were just a forgotten piece of their past. The Shawnee tribe was the most influential in this area around that time (a lot of towns and counties still bear Shawnee names), but they were pressed by other tribes coming from the East (Delaware, Erie, etc.). I think today most of the remaining Shawnee are in Oklahoma. :(

This must be boring compared to what our European comrades have to show.  :P

Ladyhawk

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Backyard Artifacts
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
That's actually pretty damn cool. I don't have anything to show. Australia has an extremely boring history.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 01:18:07 AM »
In my backyard, there is nothing but building rubble from when houses on my street were built :( .

Ladyhawk

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 09:21:34 AM »
PG found a stone pentagram in his aunties backyard. Not historical I know, but interesting :)
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 04:46:23 PM »
To be fair, we (aka whites) pretty much obliterated Australian history so we'll probably never know most of it.  :P
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 10:46:40 PM »
There's a decent amount to be read on the Wiki.

comrade_general

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 03:51:26 PM »
Jubal's course links has me urging to go out in the fields and re-discover some bits of limestone I've seen out there with embedded seashells in them.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 04:05:48 PM »
My dad found an old clay pipe in the river. Seems to be from the period of turkish invasions.
Somewhat similar to this in terms of design: http://www.knasterkopf.de/images/h17meh2gr.jpg

And a broken clay bowl which was recovered from sand on the same beach. It looks like the stuff which was in our local museum.
Simple design, clay looks really old and it's surface is really weathered.

"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

comrade_general

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 04:17:33 PM »
Most impressive.  :o

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 08:00:56 PM »
Croatia is pretty culturally diverse and interesting compared to Norfolk.  :P
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...