Author Topic: A Text Based Zombie Game?  (Read 7198 times)

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
A Text Based Zombie Game?
« on: July 28, 2012, 09:49:10 PM »
Would anyone be interested in this? I have already started development, but I was wondering if anyone actually likes the idea.  :P

It is written in Python, so it would be necessary to have it installed. I am also planning to add in RPG influences by making it more open, with random encounters, stats etc. I got the idea from wanting to make a zombie game, a hatred of GUIs (at least in python), and inspiration in the form of AoS (Adventures of Soros). I'm still in early days, but anyone interested?   ;D
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
Re: A Text Based Zombie Game?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 12:04:15 PM »
Yes!

Also, you can use cx_freeze to compile an exe so that Python isn't needed if you feel like it.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 03:53:37 PM »
Yes, definitely; feel free to nick any bits of AoS that would be helpful. As a pointer, unless you're planning to keep it console based for ever design it with more functions rather than using while loops with lots of different inputs, because otherwise you'll need to restructure it all when making a GUI.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 01:27:35 PM »
+ Karma for you coming up with that. ;) I really like the idea Othko.
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 03:08:16 PM »
Absolutely interested. Good luck mate. ;)
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 09:45:59 PM »
The "introduction" if you will is pretty much done, although the character can be completely OP in combat, but I'll deal that after the bugfixing I need to do  :P
I'm now working on a) the bugs and b) the main open part (at least for now).

Some more info: The game is based in a school, just because most of my zombie plans are based around school (I need a contingency plan in the case of an apocalypse there)  :P But in the future I may expand further. The more open part is that you can move into any room in the school you want, albeit with random encounters, and find weapons etc.)
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 08:10:08 PM »
Recently development has stagnated, because I'm stuck in a pile of mocks at the moment and also I'm stuck writing all the story. After my exams development will probably start again with rejuvenated effort, because I'll have less coursework and it'll be Christmas, so I'll be off school. If anyone has ideas for the game feel free to tell me them.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 12:57:27 AM »
I guess one key decision is whether there's an overarching plot at all or not - or in other words, can you win? Is it just a case of scoring points to get a highscore before dying? And so on.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 07:18:53 AM »
With it being a zombie game, I'm planning on more of an open ended type game, where the only objective is to survive.

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 10:59:05 AM »
Development is continuing at a snail's pace, due to laziness and procrastination.

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 01:34:35 PM »
Hahaha! Sounds like me!
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.