Author Topic: The Rumour Roundup: Warhammer Fantasy  (Read 9920 times)

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Rumour Roundup: Warhammer Fantasy
« on: August 23, 2012, 12:24:31 AM »
Well then, have I got some stuff for you.

First up a list of the speculated release order.

Quote from: Harry on Warseer
Warriors of Chaos (Oct/Nov 2012) (Harry) (Nov 2012) (Hastings)
Daemons of Chaos (Late 2012/Early 2013?)
High Elves (Early 2013) (Harry) (Mar/Apr 2013) (Hastings)
Lizardmen (Mid 2013?)

As you can see, it's obvious the WoC's have been pushed back. A pity really because the rumours for them seemed pretty good, but no matter. ;)

Then the rumours for each.

Quote from: Harry on Warseer
Warriors of Chaos

Release Date:
There are rumours that they will come in Q4 This year (Hastings) October (Avian, Eldargal) End October/start November (Harry) December (Darnock/Birdy, MsDarkness) Just in time for Haloween (Scoopdeta)
Some talk around the interwebz that WoC may be delayed.

Author: Unknown.

Rules:
The Storm of Chaos. They think its all over ....  (Harry)
Archaon has been redone and his story will be the backbone of the storyline for the new book. It will look at his re-emergence from the chaos waste and the gathering of another Army to march upon the Empire.
The book will also focus more on several of the larger tribes. Not a huge focus, just some background stories.
We will see a real Germanic feel with the book, in regards to the savage marauding tribes.
There will also be renewed focus on the Chaos Gods and independent heroes for each one of them. People will be able to tailor their Army to run on a single God easier than before. (Birdy via Harry)
BRING IT ON!  (Harry)
Krom is in the book. (MsDarkness)
Van Horstmann in as a special character can use Light and Tzeentch magic. (MsDarkness)
Van Horstmann gets a lot of attention in the new book. (Birdy via Harry)

Models:
Plastic chariot/warshrine. (Hastings, Harry, NatTreehouse, Scoopdeta, Darnocks Birdy)
Chaos Warshrine- This will be the big kit for the WoC and will be similar to what was released for the Empire in regards to their altar. It will be a large kit that has options for each of the Chaos Gods. The sculpt will be on the same base size at the war altar. (Birdy via Harry)
New Monsterous cavalry unit. (Harry, Birdy via Harry) Not sure if this is the Dragon Ogres or something else on top of or instead of the dragon ogres.
Don’t be surprised if there is a few monsterous cavalry options. (TheDarkGeneral)
Monsterous options for chariot steeds and warshrine.(Valdaraukar)
Plastic Dragon Ogres. (Hastings, NatTreeHouse, Harry)
New poseable Dragon Ogres similar to the Minotaur sprues!!! YES!!!! Finally options for Xtra Weapons or Great Weapons and larger models that represent what a Dragon Ogre size wise should look like! And lil' bitz for "marked" units!!!(TheDarkGeneral).
On Bigger bases than current Dragon Ogres. (Birdy via Harry)
I vagually rememeber a description I was given of the Dragon Ogres a long time ago. It sounded like the bodies were a lot more solid and stocky more rhino that dragon ... The description reminded me of a zoat more centaur like with the ogre part of the body very upright and at right angles to the back of the lower body ... quite different from the current models. Also wearing armour that made them look much more part of the Warriors of Chaos army. (Harry)
I've heard that the plastic dragon ogres are very old ones that were declined from the previous release but that they've been reworked a little. I've also heard that from the play test rules there is (currently) an option to mount a chaos knight on them! I've also heard some plastic chaos ogres (which are also older sculpts) may also be getting released this time around and that they're "not very good"...(Birdy via Darnok)
A Large plastic kit (that I'll leave as a surprise). (Hastings) (Presumably the Dragon)
Plastic forsaken. (Hastings, NatTreehouse, Harry)
Forsaken and chosen in one combined kit (Kyte)
New plastic Marauders. Completely redone with several weapons choices. (Birdy via Harry)
There are also youngbloods which will be smaller and nearly naked models with throwing knives/axes and such that burst out of the units of marauders. (Birdy via Harry)
Chaos Dragon Kit. (Msdarkness)
Finecast Characters (Hastings)
Throgg Troll king. (Hastings, Darnocks Birdy) Huge and close to artwork in current book (Darnocks Birdy)
Each God will have a modeled character to lead mono army builds. (Birdy via Harry)
Archaon has been remodeled and apparently is amazing, with option of being on foot or mounted.(Birdy via Harry)
Plastic chaos sorcerer (Hastings)
Female witch (Eldargal)
Valkia the bloody (Eldargal)
Egrimm Van Horstmann has been resculpted. He comes mounted on an awesome new dragon sculpt. (Birdy via Harry)
Zoat's for Chaos (once again) is indeed a rumor that I heard along with new monstrous cav for chosen style marked knights! ... Snip ... (Zoats are always associated with wood elves) ... Snip ... in truth Chaos could take Zoats back in 3rd Edition from the Slaves to Darkness & Lost and the Damned Chaos books. (TheDarkGeneral).

Some good stuff there. Here's hoping that the Dragon Ogres (FINALLY!) are actually pretty decent.

Moving on to the High Elves.

Quote from: Harry from Warseer
Release Date: Unknown
The next army to be done after the Warriors of Chaos release.(Harry)
This would make them sometime early next year.(Harry)
High Elves early next year. (Meltedwing)  I said it first.  (Harry)
High Elves are after WoC AND Daemons of Chaos ... but before Lizardmen.

Author: Unknown.
The book is rumoured to have been started. (Harry)
There is a rumour from Ghorros over at the Herdstone that Adam Troke was asking about what folks wanted from the next High Elves book. Could be nothing. Could be he taking another swing at High Elves. This is a possibility as I heard Adam moved from his job on the web team back to games development about a year ago. I assumed this was Lord of the Rings related but it could just as easily been because High Elves were back on the menu.
There is solid information on who the lead writer might be.

Rules:
There are no rumours about the content of the book.
Imrik making a return, his inclusion possibly acting like Skrag but for True Dragon Princes. (This ties in with the popularity of the Caledor novels depicting mass dragon combat, the Storm of Magic novella, AND the Graham McNeil 2 part novel.)(Actuality)

Models:
New unit in plastic (Harry)
There has been a suggestion that there will be a flying Chariot. (Hastings)
Monsterous Cavalry (Skeith over on BoLS)
The monstrous cavalry are a form of lesser wingless dragon, akin to the demigryph.(Actuality)
Dragon Princes riding some form of true dragon, (possibly limited to a sun dragon) Possibly in sets of three. (Actuality)
This reminds me of a rumour from last time the book was done. There was a rumour of 'Drake riders' being sculpted by Alex Hedstrom. Maybe they missed the boat last time or there was enough great stuff already with the Dragon and Lion chariot that they got shelved.(Harry)
Both High Elves and Wood Elves may get the rumoured Treeman in their updated books. (buzz0783) This does not seem very likely to me. (Harry)
A new everqueen sculpt coming possibly riding some kind of 'critter'. No mention of Maiden Guard. (Eldargal)
Plastic kit for archers, spearmen and seaguard all in one box. (Bramgaunt)

Don't know if I like the flightless Dragon Knights. If you're going to have a unit of Dragon Princes on actual Dragons, make them real proper Dragons. On the other hand, I'd actually prefer to have real models for Lion Knights of Chrace. Because that's a cool idea and there's already a precedent for that sort of thing. Flightless Dragons have never been mentioned before in the fluff.

Good to hear about the new archers, spearelves and Sea Guard though. Because those models are God-awful.

Moving on,

Quote from: Antipathy from Warseer
Just a couple of rumours, that I feel should be taken with a pinch of salt (actually, take a pinch of salt out of the bag, then just tip the bag over the shoulder) pertaining to the rumoured Lizards - rumour sources are as yet unverified for the most part and unreliable;

In short - monster heavy.

I have the date of a late summer/early autumn release next year for Lizardmen, which sort of matches Harry's prediction of Mid 2013.

There are whisperings of a new "super monstrous cavalry" unit; pertaining in particular to units of Carnosaur mounted Saurus; I believe this is more akin to a ridden monster rare unit like a Stonehorn. I have heard of a new plastic carnosaur (singular); as well, but nothing concrete. It will also be the first time in 8th Edition (to date) that a character will be able to ride the same monstrous beast as the unit in its army - the Empire peg-captain doesn't count, and that's presuming that Grymloq changes to MC, rather than staying as a Monster.

Slann now becomes a multi-part plastic set - availability for a Relic Priest (Kroak, including Deathmask), a normal Priest, and a special limited edition plastic combination pack (similar to the Exalted Daemon Chariot) that combines a Stegadon and a Slann Priest to recreate Mazdamundi. In addition, they get access to Disciplines, but these may not be taken more than once. Reading into rumours suggests that Slann have Loremaster (see below for reasoning).

All Saurus armies become "viable" thanks to the return of Sacred Spawnings - units can purchase Sacred Spawnings like a Mark of Chaos, while characters get access to them off the bat. One will allow them to join Temple Guard units, others will give benefits to specific units, like Magic Resistance or Devastating Charge (Sotek?), while others (like Itzl, or whatever the Cold One Riders are), are already included within their stats.

Razordons and Salamanders become a Dual part plastic Monstrous beasts + handler kits, 2 Monsters and 6 Handlers to a set.

Couatl model - working like a Terrorgheist in that it can be both a mount (rumours are to be available at sub-200 points to allow 2 to be taken for heroes in 2400 games) and a monster, presuming rare.

The Stegadons become special choices as well, with a unit "upgrade" to Ancient stats, and a weapon "upgrade" to didgeridoo blowdarts. Skink Mounts still available IIRC.

Skink Priests gain access to Beasts as well as Heavens. In addition, Skink Priests may become "attendants" to a Slann - basically I read it as a Skink Priest option allowing it access to the same Lore the Slann itself knows. Reading into that suggests that Slann have Loremaster as standard.

The return of the Arcanadon - one thing that every non-lizard player is going to hate, a pokemon venusaur/stegadon crossover which takes in solar power to create a blast of magical light, in the form of a cannonball/stone thrower/flame cannon/breath weapon monster. Although nothing concrete about the presumed dual nature of the kit, it could possibly be a much "wanted" Thunder Lizard capable of making thunderstorms. This is eerily reminiscent of the Luminarks/Hurricanums however, so I am EXTREMELY DOUBTFUL and think is little more than wishlisting. Combined with the Couatl which is also a "thunder/weather" monster, this might be crossed wires, OR wishlisting (I believe the latter, though).

Apparently Nakai will return - an apparently unbreakable "autohealing" monster non-general hero choice.

If all proves to be true, it looks like the possibility of a monster heavy army;

Lord
- Oldblood
-- Carnosaur
- Kroq-Gar
-- Carnosaur
- Mazdamundi
-- Stegadon
- Tenenhauin
-- Stegadon
-- Couatl (?)
- Nakai

Hero
- Skink Priest
-- Couatl
-- Stegadon
-- Terradon
- Skink Chief
-- Stegadon
-- Couatl (?)
-- Terradon
- Tiqtaqto
-- Terradon
- Scar Veteran
-- Carnosaur (?)

Core
- Skink+Kroxigor Cohorts
- Cold One Riders (?/reliant on Kroq Gar)

Special
- Stegadon/Steg Ancient
- Kroxigors
- Terradons

Rare
- Arcanadon
- Thunder Lizard
- Couatl
- Carnosaur Monster/Carnosaur Monstrous Cavalry
- Salamanders
- Razordons

Assuming some points values, a 3K game can get 3 Rare Monsters, 3 Hero+Monsters, and 1-2 Lord+Monsters.

As again, HUGE pinch of salt to be taken.

Didn't really read through it all, I don't have much time. Never been all that interested in Lizards either. I just to Hell that there's new Saurus models.

Cheers,
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Gen_Glory

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Rumour Roundup: Warhammer Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 09:09:29 PM »
i think GW are purposefully trying to take my money

if WoC are next then all three of my armies have been updated to 8th, yet another £25 (more like £50 at their rate)
Tis but a scratch...

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 12:26:55 AM »
Well considering the Daemon releases that have just occured, my guess is that the WoC's have been pushed back a fair bit. Which makes sense really as, despite the fact they are one of the biggest selling armies, they are also a new-ish book. The Bretonnians, Dwarves, Wood Elves and even High Elves have been around for a hell of a lot longer. Hell, the Dark Elves are older.

I'm surprised that there are even rumours about a new book. My personal thoughts are a wave or two of new models, which, when looking at the Dragon Ogres, would be incredibly welcome.
(\__/)

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 02:15:22 AM »
The Bretonnians, Dwarves, Wood Elves and even High Elves have been around for a hell of a lot longer. Hell, the Dark Elves are older.

No profit, no update. GW is just a company like any other after all.
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 03:23:55 AM »
I know, but there's a point where it just becomes ridiculous. Surely they realise that an update will pretty much always = profit?

I mean you'll sell more old Bret stuff if you release new Bret stuff for other parts of the army. Like, for instance, really nice and new plastic Grail Knights right? If GW were to release them, heaps of people would go buy peasant and Realm Knight boxes so they could fit the Grail Knights in their army.
(\__/)

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 09:49:47 AM »
I know, but there's a point where it just becomes ridiculous. Surely they realise that an update will pretty much always = profit?

They would get more players, but more profit? Not so sure about that.
Those detailed moulds they use are obscenely expensive.
And right now Bretonnia and WE are one of the most underplayed armies (from my personal experience). That's why they're choosing the safer route first.

Anyways:
I'm looking forward to WoC. The Nurgly kind.
But before I buy any of those, I'll go through my list:
hellblaster
10 greatswords
25 spearmen
20 night goblins

still considering:
new plaguebearers and nurglings
30 mantic zombies

A long list, I'm afraid. Oh, and paints. I need paints.
That's going to keep me busy for more than a year.

About the Elves.
You are right, new models for core troops were really needed.
Compared to the Island of Blood they looked really dated.
Flightless dragons sound ok, IMO. Your reaction reminds me of that time when thy announced demigryph knights.
They were a completely new idea, and most of the community was against them (me too). They turned out to be pretty nice in the end. Both models and their rules. Adding in some diversity isn't that bad, even thought they're unbelievably expensive.

Lizards. Never really cared about those.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:37:51 AM by Silver Wolf »
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 02:10:27 PM »
My reaction to the flightless dragons and the demigryphs is exactly the same. I don't like either of them.

Alright, the Demigryph Knights look good, but I think they were a totally unnecessary addition to the Imperial army. They added nothing to the overall theme of the army. If they were Bretonnian, sure. I still wouldn't say I liked them but at least they fit in. Elite cavalry shouldn't be the Empire's thing. They have other archetypes to play with, without stepping on Bretonnia's territory.
(\__/)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 05:40:45 PM »
But everyone knows Zoats should wait for the Dragon Islanders to get an official rulebook...  :P
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 12:56:56 PM »
So the rumors about Chaos Warriors were a bit too optimistic.

Still, the second wave of miniatures should be released together with the updated book, sometime in 2013.
Plastic forsaken, new dragon ogres, characters and a plastic chariot (look to the left, and you'll see a part of it):

And someone said that new dragon ogres look horrible. I think it was Harry.
He actually said someone to keep the old ones. Which are also horrible, by the way.

Gen_Glory

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 09:50:07 PM »
just kit bash lizardmen cold ones and black orcs (or bestigors)
Tis but a scratch...

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 10:20:41 PM »
I agree, but I was talking about the official models...
The best dragon ogres come from older versions of cold ones (which were bigger than the current ones) and the actual ogres.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 09:13:51 PM »

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 12:26:44 PM »
New rules:

50 Great weapon, Khorne Marauders with full command are 580 points, they do however retain their statline

Now on the more mundane things that have changed.

Mark of Khorne; frenzy
Mark of Tzeentch; +1 ward save
Mark of Slaanesh; Auto pass fear, terror and panic
Mark of Nugrle; Flat -1 to hit in close combat

Marks on a per model basis

Mutant regen is gone (except throgg), and troll vomit is no longer magical, same cost

Chaos ogres gain impact hits

Dragon ogres gain halberd option

Forsaken are basically the same, same point cost, with a chart of rollable USR, ranging from asf, poison, etc
MofK on Forsaken is hatred, MofS is Swiftstride

Eye of the gods are all stat increases, except for 12 which turns characters, and chosen champ into Daemon Prince, units gain stubburn

Valkia always gets +1 S when she rolls on eye of the gods

Sigvald always rolls +1 A on eotgs, and gained T5

Chaos warriors same statline

Warhounds true core

Chariots as normal true core

Hellcannon gains 5+ ward, everything else is the same

Chaos lord stays the same, mounts change a little manticore for example, and marks are somewhat cheaper, mundane gear drops in price

Chaos sorcerers, lores as rumoured, same statline

Daemon Princes!!!

A wait for it... Mazing.

Chaos lord statline, ws9, S6, 5+ ward, Magical attacks, Unbreakable , must take a mark Khorne is +1s on charge, Nurgle is -1 to hit, Slaanesh is armour piercing?, and Tzeentch is re-roll 1's on ward and channel attempts

New stuff:

Chimera, SofM stats with a 4+ armour, for X points gains regeneration, for Y points gains s4 flaming breath weapon, tail attack has rules d3 attacks that are +1 to hit in rear

Slaughterbrute is basically just a attack machine, bound uses are lord or hero ws, and opperates as normal (S7 or 6 can't rememeber exactly can check later, t6, 4+ armour) or can be unbound in which case its frenzied (which it can't lose), and Random movement 2d6, can buy 2 more s5 attacks

Hentical beast, less killy bound spell's effect is roll a d6, 1-5 are d6 T test + effect, 6 is whole unit + effect.

On Magic really great spells basically all made to turn the army into a killing machine, some of my favorites are 2 slaanesh spells 2 and 6 are hexes that give the unit ASL, and random movement d6, Treason is no inspiring presences or hold your ground, Phantasmagoria and Pavane, are both there. Nurgle has a lot of spells that are hexes and augments depending on who you use them on. Curse of the leper gives +d3 T to allies or -d3 to enemies. None are AoE if I recall correctly. Gateway on a 10+ for S is 3d6 hits, instead of 2d6

Skullcrushers get regular MC stats, Juggers have 3 attacks at s6 on the charge, Riders buy lances for 3 or EW for 5. Juggers have magical attacks and are only +2 to armour.

That's what I got from the top of my head, if people present questions I'll do my best to reply.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 09:20:11 AM »