Author Topic: Mount&Blade 2: Bannerlord  (Read 31753 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Mount&Blade 2: Bannerlord
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2012, 01:01:04 PM »
SR (Southern Realms) was my mod for the original Mount & Blade.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2012, 01:08:29 PM »
I now actually know what I want.

I want a better looking, more fluid and optimized version of Warband, which would allow easier modding.
Yep, that's all.
No need for anything else.
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Skull

• Magister equitum
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • It is easier to criticize than to correct our past
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 01:53:55 PM »
SR (Southern Realms) was my mod for the original Mount & Blade.
Were can I get more info?

I now actually know what I want.

I want a better looking, more fluid and optimized version of Warband, which would allow easier modding.
Yep, that's all.
No need for anything else.
Well,that is pretty humble.
Skull, the one of poor grammar, the enemy of all Grammar Nazi and destroyer of all linguistic reasoning!

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2012, 01:56:23 PM »
Not really.
It requires a whole new engine. :/
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2012, 01:59:35 PM »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2013, 06:33:31 PM »
Why?
Spear bracing and shield bashing are a must if you ask me.
Especially if you want realistic gameplay.
Every spear bracing/shield bashing kit I've seen has been utterly crap and I don't see how either one could be done realistically and not annoyingly. How would you want shield bashing to work?  And  how would you defend against the shield bash? As to spear bracing, meh why need it? Massed spears/pikes already work very effectively against cavalry when you use formations.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2013, 06:44:16 PM »
Spear bracing kit works great from what I've seen. All they need are pikes which break upon high-speed impact.

Defending against a shield bash? Shield bash your opponent too to nullify the effect, raise your shield and you won't receive any damage, or just move backwards if you're fast enough. Seems realistic enough, and would make combat much harder.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 06:45:52 PM by Silver Wolf »

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2013, 07:50:26 PM »

Moving backwards is too slow using the current engine and would also decrease your momentum and the damage you can deal, raising your shield wouldn't stop you from being pushed back (realistically) and presumably you couldn't attack whilst shield bashing so two people bashing away at each other would be kinda crap. And if you can shield bash why couldn't you also bodily bash your opponents when heavily armored? Or wrestle/leg hook them? Or hook the rim of their shield and haul it down? Meh, if it works within the new engine they are making for the game then by all means go for it, but I can see it making combat on foot much more frustrating but not more realistic or enjoyable.
Haven't tried spear bracing kits for a while (actually I haven't played M&B in quite a while) but I don't see the need for it anyway, polearms work well against cavalry in tight formation but not in a skirmish style battle which is pretty realistic, surely spear bracing just makes cavalry pretty crap altogether in melee.
Really I would much prefer it if TW work on improving the physics of formations (a shield wall ability would be pretty cool if it took into account the momentum of the entire formation) and maybe making the player's footwork more important in one on one combat (sidestepping, backstepping maybe lunging.)

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2013, 08:26:54 PM »
Moving backwards is too slow using the current engine 

Not if you have high athletics skill. That's why I said "if you're fast enough".  ;)

raising your shield wouldn't stop you from being pushed back (realistically)

Yes, that's true, but I never said anything about not being pushed back. I just said that you wouldn't receive the usual damage from shield bash if you raise your shield. (getting hit in the head by a shield and all that jazz)
Counter bashing would stun both players, but for a shorter time than usual.

And if you can shield bash why couldn't you also bodily bash your opponents when heavily armored?

Well you can kick people in Warband...
Shield bashing would be a much safer alternative for handweapon + shield troops.
However, this should all come with a redesign of blocking system. Blocking should be more active, with less coverage and should work similar to way in which weapon blocking works at the moment, depending on the direction from which your enemy is attacking.

Haven't tried spear bracing kits for a while (actually I haven't played M&B in quite a while) but I don't see the need for it anyway, polearms work well against cavalry in tight formation but not in a skirmish style battle which is pretty realistic, surely spear bracing just makes cavalry pretty crap altogether in melee.

Actually, it makes cavalry realistic instead of overpowered.
It works just like couched lance. You give orders to your soldiers, they kneel down and stick pikes into ground and stay that way until you give them new orders. Whatever hits the pointy edge receives damage according to it's speed. Simple and realistic.

Really I would much prefer it if TW work on improving the physics of formations . . . and maybe making the player's footwork more important in one on one combat (sidestepping, backstepping maybe lunging.)

Couldn't agree more. ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:28:57 PM by Silver Wolf »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2013, 08:52:50 PM »
I think close combat friendly fire would be a big addition aka if you have a ton of people waving swords around and they're standing 10cm apart and one of them hits another, they actually do damage. The main issue with foot solo combat in M&B, I found, was that it was so easy for enemies to pile you with all of them at insanely close range as they didn't need to worry about each other's sword swings so combats were really dense rather than fluid (dense combat is fine in the centre of a really packed battle line, mind, but then there should be a good reason to use short swords not battleaxes).

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2013, 09:26:32 PM »
I remember reading something similar a long time ago.
One of the developers mentioned an insane amount of friendly fire kills.

AI is practically helpless about that, and introducing some kind of complex code would probably lead to frequent crashes and frustratingly stupid AI behavior.

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2013, 09:44:02 PM »
Unless AI is massively improved I don't think that would work at all (friendly fire that is.) Same problem with spear brace, AI is too stupid to circle around a bracing soldier and would probably just ride right into them. Also if you're bracing a spear and a horse runs right into it you won't be able to stop the horses momentum, it would crush you to death in all likelyhood.
"Not if you have high athletics skill. That's why I said "if you're fast enough"." Oh right, I thought you meant if you reacted quickly enough.
"Yes, that's true, but I never said anything about not being pushed back. I just said that you wouldn't receive the usual damage from shield bash if you raise your shield. (getting hit in the head by a shield and all that jazz)" I don't think shield bashing should do any significant damage, surely the pushback/stun would be the advantage of shield bashing? I mean how would you manage to hit someone in the head with a shield without them getting their weapon or arm in the way?
"Counter bashing would stun both players, but for a shorter time than usual." Now that I can see being extremely annoying.
As to kicking, as its currently implemented I don't find it useful at all.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2013, 09:54:01 PM »
I don't think shield bashing should do any significant damage, surely the pushback/stun would be the advantage of shield bashing? I mean how would you manage to hit someone in the head with a shield without them getting their weapon or arm in the way?

About that first part. Ever hit your head into a door or a metal sign, or perhaps saw somebody else do it? Multiply that by three.
And about the second part. It's quite possible. I can't be arsed to find videos right now, but I'm sure you've seen it a hundred times.

As to kicking, as its currently implemented I don't find it useful at all.

I do. You can interrupt attacks and push people off battlements. Good enough for me.

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2013, 09:58:34 PM »
You can also interrupt attacks by attacking yourself which I find much more useful. Didn't realise you could shove people of battlements, thats pretty handy (although not particularly fair if the AI don't shove you off ladders as you climb but presumably sieges are going to be sorted out properly since they've always been a bit armadillo.)
And yeah it would be possible to hit someone in the head with a shield in part of a dynamic fight if you get a nice opportunity but how can you simulate that in M&B? If you went to punch your shield up that high you would have to shift your weight forward very quickly and would be opening yourself up for a counterattack or your opponent just grabbing your shield rim and shoving you over/backwards if they avoid the bash.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 10:04:37 PM by Pentagathus »

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2013, 10:05:45 PM »
Kicks are helpful if you're using a slow weapon and not carrying a shield, too.

Well, they'll just have make combat more dynamic either way.
Shields without shield bashing are just ridiculous. If they don't include them, I'll add them myself.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 10:10:04 PM by Silver Wolf »