Author Topic: Citizenship Applications Thread  (Read 31925 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Citizenship Applications Thread
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:31:31 PM »
Citizenship Applications

So, you want to become a citizen? Now instead of waiting for someone to notice you, you are allowed to apply for citizenship here!

HOW TO APPLY

To apply, you need to post in this thread stating the following:

1 - Why you wish to become a citizen. Talk about what you like about Exilian and why you feel you're a full member of this community.

2 - Any things you feel should be taken into consideration (which projects you've worked on/brought to the site, any other contributions you've made, etc)

3 - Whether you want to make a PATRONAGE application or a DIRECT VOTE application. This is a choice you have to make. If you make a patronage application, your application will wait until a current citizen (who may be any member of the citizen body) decides to become your patron and move the application to vote. The advantage of having a patron is that via your patron you become part of one of Exilian's "families" of citizens, who can help you out in the murky world of citizenship and provide an extra group of friends and support on the site. They are also allowed to make any positive comments they might have about you when posting your application (although this doesn't confer any real advantage; all citizens are allowed to discuss the applications anyway). Alternatively, you might rather go it alone and not have someone standing over you; if that's the case, go for a direct vote application. A member of staff will move your application to vote without any further ado, and the citizens will vote on it as normal. Neither method will make much difference to your overall chance of being accepted for citizenship, and neither will it affect what you can do afterwards (if you have a patron-family, for example, they're not allowed to attempt to affect how you vote in elections and so on). It's really a case of whether you feel being part of one of the large, traditional patron families would be better for you or whether you're more independent minded and prefer to stand on your own.

Please ask questions about the process by making a new thread in the Questions and Suggestions forum. This thread should be for applications only, and queries will be moved to a new thread or deleted.

Example Application
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Citizenship FAQ

What's the point of being a citizen?
It essentially confirms you as a full member of Exilian with an active say in the running of the site. You get voting rights in elections and on legislation, the ability to stand for staff office, and a special citizens-only discussion area among other benefits.

What are the requirements?
There are no requirements by statute, but in general anyone with over fifty posts should be thinking about citizenship. It's really a question of whether you're a participatory member of the community - remember, citizenship doesn't give you any extra responsibilities (though ideally you should vote in elections once a year), it's more a case of claiming and confirming your rights as a participating member of this site.

If I don't apply, can I be patronised anyway?
A patron can ask to patronise you directly by PMing you; if they do this, you just need to fill out the application as described and pass it on to them directly so they can post it in the citizens' area. Similarly, you can ask a current citizen to be your patron if you have a specific person in mind, but don't bug people about it! You cannot make direct vote applications any way other than by posting in this thread.

If I get a patron I don't like, can I leave their family?
Yes, just ask a member of staff and we'll sort that out. If you don't currently have a family you can also get a new patron (but you can't just switch patrons directly). Generally it's not worth the bother; your "family" has as much or little effect on your life on Exilian as you want it to, so whilst you can leave the system remember that you have no obligations regarding your family and can quite happily skip off to do the projects and chatter that all of us really enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 11:08:17 AM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Citizenship Applications Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 09:41:22 PM »
Name:Rob Mitchell, feel free to use any sort of derivation of the name.

Why I want to be a citizen: I've been at this community for a couple of months now and am loving it, there are some great characters here. I'd like to become more of a part of Exilian and hopefully contribute something more meaningful in the future. I've been posting regularly and visiting the site almost every day so I guess I'm getting the 'feel' for Exilian and what it's about.

Achievements: No real achievements, I hope to start a shadowrun sect that I'll make maps for if anyone wants to join when the game is released in June. I helped Jubal in a very minor way with Warhammer: Total War and once that's over I'll be more than willing to help whoever else wants a hand with a project, I'm learning things all the time so hope to be of real use soon.

Type of application: Patronage
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 10:03:05 PM »
Moved to vote under my patronage.

NB for future applicants, the "name" section on the example application does not mean you have to put your real name there if you want to maintain anonymity, your right to remain anonymous is strongly guaranteed on Exilian.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 10:04:48 PM »
Oh for sure, I actually prefer using my real name to screen name online. Many thanks Jubal.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 10:12:30 PM by luckynumber13 »
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

SaidaiSloth

• King of the sloths
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 07:02:57 AM »
If you'd like your patron to be a specific person I'm sure that could be arranged as well. :)
ADORABLENESS WARNING
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dimos

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 03:02:43 AM »
Yeah, requesting a patron should be incorporated in the rights of our wannabe citizens!
Team member of: Europe 1080 / Southern Realms / Britannia 1100 Gold

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 11:34:05 AM »
Yeah, I need to clarify that in the rules; the idea should be that people who want to be your patron PM you once you've posted the application, then you accept one to take your application on.

Lady Grey

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 07:30:17 PM »
Name: Mother of Dragons (or Tea :) )

Why I want to be a citizen: As you may have seen, I have applied for the admin post as well, and though I haven't been on Exilian long, I have done in the last few days, and will continue to visit the site and post regularly. I am very much enjoying being a part of the Exilian community and I feel that I can bring in new thread ideas (and hopefully recruit new members :P ).

Achievements: I haven't really achieved much as of yet, but I plan to start more threads in the Storyteller's Hall/Conservatoire (I wrote about this in my admin application). Things like more book reviews, fan discussion threads for LotR and ASoIaF (I'd really like to start a character analysis? thread for the latter - I may do that now). I also have other ideas to contribute to the YouTube channel possibly. :)

Application Type: Patronage

Scarlet

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 08:38:06 PM »
I am happy to be patron? :)

.. is that how this works?
like a bruise that would never go away, but she would cherish it for ever.

gellthîr i melethron nîn

nínim in menil

comrade_general

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 08:42:41 PM »
I think it would, but I'm afraid I beat you to the punch. ;)

Teejackbo

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 09:27:51 PM »
Name: Jack Coldrick

Why I want to be a citizen: I feel like I could help out around the site a little bit, and generally get to know people better. I am trustworthy, (Othko confirmed) and love using mods, (Which annoys Othko to no end when he starts Skyrim and has to let 150+ mods load and disable the ones he doesn't like. :P) I also want to vote and have a say in the site.

Achievements: Not really an achievement since it isn't exactly hard, but I have learnt HTML and am good with graphics software, doing things like restoring old photos and colourising them. I have also been active in the forum games, and would like to start some more threads in there.

Application type: Patronage.

Scarlet

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 10:05:12 PM »
Am I allowed to offer to be patron this time? :)

gellthîr i melethron nîn

nínim in menil

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 10:11:43 PM »
Yes you are, feel free!
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

Scarlet

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 10:12:38 PM »
WIN :D

gellthîr i melethron nîn

nínim in menil

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 10:39:21 PM »
Yep, just go post the topic up in the subforum of the plaza and we start voting then.  :)