Off-topic and Chatter: The Jolly Boar Inn > General Gaming - The Arcade

Pillars of Eternity

(1/7) > >>

Clockwork:
For anyone that hasn't heard the good people at Obsidian are creating what is looking like an absolute gem of a game.

Based on DnD (Or maybe ADnD, idk tbh) and looking like it plays very similar to gaming legend Baldurs Gate we have this: http://eternity.obsidian.net/. My one particular pet loathing of Baldurs Gate was how enemies would gleefully run past my full plate armoured champion with a sword so big it literally-couldn't-fit-through-any-normal-sized-doorway and instagib my academic, magic rune reading, smooth talking face class. This game adresses that with a very cool looking 'zone of control' mechanic whereby to run past said tin can champion you would risk a swipe from his colossal compensation item.

I have but one problem with this game. Why for the love of dragons did they create a 'monk' class?

Regardless, I'd urge any fan of Baldurs Gate, Knights of the Old Republic (or any of the older bioware titles actually) to check it out and see what they think.

Rob

Clockwork:
UPDATE:

So much more to say on this game, I've been following it for a while and with ever-increasing interest. Set for a release Dec 2014!

Players create a character from the usual elf, dwarf, human but can also choose two races, Godlike and Orlans, which are Obsidian own brand fantasy(Though godlike has been used in other Obsidian titles).

It is a class based game with enough classes to keep everyone happy for a very long time so I won't list them all but rest assured there will be at least one you'll want to try out.

Being a crowdfunded game it doesn't have the budget that an A title has, however the team has been putting in 120% (apart from fridays) which you can tell from the beautiful artwork and hand crafted scenes.

If there was a single person on this entire planet that I would always trust to deliver an excellent game it's going to be lead creative director Josh Sawyer. Not only is this guy a true modern day polymath (like Bruce Dickinson, I need to write about him) and generally superb specimen of human kind but he also has a great number of games under his belt including Icewind Dale 2, Knights of the Old Republic 2, Fallout New Vegas, Neverwinter Nights and many more. Hypothetically my number 2 choice would be Chris Avellone...He's also making this game, I cannot forsee this game being bad. It's physically impossible. It also then has more to live up to than any crowdfunded game to date.

Screenies in spoiler box.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)http://media.obsidian.net/eternity/media/updates/0068/pe-wilderness-01-580x326.jpg
http://media.obsidian.net/eternity/media/updates/0065/pe-orlan-cipher-580.jpg

Clockwork:
Update time!:

Here we have Josh Sawyer going through the demo with a reporter. From what I can tell, this is exactly the game I was hoping it would be.

This is a true RPG, where you shape your past through conversation, people take notice of your choices but without giving you a slider to tell you just how good/bad you are. Taking notes from the infinity engine games it nevertheless looks streamlined (in the true sense, not a PR way of saying: made for consoles, which this isn't) and sleek with UI and usability improvements. The best thing I saw in the video though was an intelligence build barbarian being completely viable. This is real multiclassing.

TTG4:
This sounds interesting, do you have any more info on release other than december? Sounds like a quick turn around from funding to release!

Clockwork:
Well, it was kickstarted, so they were already starting to make it before they even got any money. Oct 17 2012 was when the KS had gathered enough to launch the game, so at a guess I would say they began development early 2012/ late 2011. Given that the team that made it were already really used to using the unity engine from other games (too many to list, check out the names from my second post :P). They also were parts of the teams that made all of the original infinity engine games (Icewind Dale, Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment etc.), so each of them has a ton of experience both with the platform they're building on and with making a game in the genre and style. These guys are the pro-est of pros which is what I'm saying explains the quick turnaround in a roundabout way :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version