Author Topic: Workshop Booze Up VI - These Are Not The Potatoes You Are Looking For  (Read 160789 times)

comrade_general

Re: Workshop Booze Up VI - Welcome to the festive season
« Reply #705 on: April 22, 2015, 12:48:06 PM »
Galaxy Quest!

They should've done this when the original cast were still young enough, but maybe they can still pull it off. :P

Still wish we could see a decent prime-universe Star Trek series again though.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #706 on: April 26, 2015, 10:11:25 PM »
Sounds incredibly fun. :D

And I'm loving the whole cast.
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #707 on: April 26, 2015, 10:17:19 PM »
I've not seen the original...
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #708 on: May 10, 2015, 12:16:52 PM »
Vaguely remember the original, it was pretty good I think.
Its not the festive season anymore btw guys.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Workshop Booze Up VI - Welcome to the doom season
« Reply #709 on: May 10, 2015, 01:00:33 PM »
Point noted.  :P
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #710 on: May 10, 2015, 04:39:15 PM »
Is the new title reflecting your thoughts on the election results or exam season or did you just feel like it was time for significant change? Personally I'm perfectly ready to spread messages of despair and wish misery to all men.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #711 on: May 10, 2015, 05:02:05 PM »
All of the above :(

comrade_general

« Reply #712 on: May 10, 2015, 07:51:17 PM »
How pessimistic, Jubal. :P

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #713 on: May 11, 2015, 12:19:54 PM »
You've got to know that Con is better economically at least. Surely? Not getting into a worse situation is good.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #714 on: May 11, 2015, 02:15:31 PM »
I feel like we're at a stage where any net advances the Tories make will be counteracted by the fact those won't get to most people, and that some people will suffer very, very heavily. We're walking into a disaster for civil liberties too; I'd be surprised if Net neutrality survives to 2020, the Human Rights Act is pretty much dead in the water already, etc.

Though I guess in this case, even disregarding all that, I can take the (unusual for me) position of arguing from self-interest. The humanities are an extremely soft target for cutbacks and the government has set itself cutting targets that will be almost impossible to meet, and I've not got a primary skillset that is likely to work well in much of the private sector. Of course I've got some fallback skills, but given the current state of the creative industries it's a total jackal-fight to be able to make any money from it. Very likely to hit the rest of my family too, we're all academics and thus all indirectly funded by the state.

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #715 on: May 11, 2015, 06:13:20 PM »
Its better that some suffer than all suffer under a collapsed economy surely? And heavily? I don't believe so, minimum wage has been rising, as has real income. Net neutrality I think they'll be persuaded not to pursue. The Human Rights Act is being superseded by a British Bill of Rights. It'll amount to the same thing but the power over it, to change it, etc will be held by the British government instead of a European one. It's not like once HRA is gone, nobody here will have any human rights. The change is minor, just a change of signatures tbh.

Right Economics creates jobs in the private sector, these aren't paid for by the government who then in turn can spend money they're not paying workers on things like healthcare or roads or whatever. Left Eco creates jobs in the public sector funded by the government on the backs of the most sucessful members of society. As we've seen a lot recently, those people aren't too keen on that and bugger off to the Cayman islands or something and then the country is paying for things they now can't afford because their moneybags have left.

As a side note: the current state of creative industries is good actually, it's been growing solidly for years and looks like it will continue to grow. (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/394668/Creative_Industries_Economic_Estimates_-_January_2015.pdf)

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #716 on: May 11, 2015, 07:55:58 PM »
Can we keep politics to the politics section? Whilst I appreciate I brought it up to some extent, it's something I need to not think about right now. As usual I disagree with your shorthand of economic ideas, and I think it's horribly oversimplified, but as of now I feel like living armadilloe and am really not in a good state for arguing over this. Sorry.

Suffice to say that I do not feel the world is in a good place at present, and I feel like my own world is in a particularly not-good place in relation to it.

comrade_general

« Reply #717 on: May 11, 2015, 08:30:14 PM »

Last guy is me btw. ;D

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #718 on: May 11, 2015, 08:37:06 PM »
That genuinely tickles me very much. I think its the arms that do it for me.
No matter what your political leanings may be there will always be weird gifs on the internet and cat pictures and stuff and the sun will occasionally shine and so on and so forth.
My exams finish soon and then I can get drunk and plan what I'm doing for the summer and not feel like I should be studying and wooo.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #719 on: May 11, 2015, 08:51:31 PM »
In other news, today marks a decade since Leeroy Jenkins was first posted online.