Author Topic: Indie Gaming Affiliates Program - Fact-Finding  (Read 6833 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Indie Gaming Affiliates Program - Fact-Finding
« on: April 20, 2014, 01:34:28 PM »
Since most people who might want this aren't citizens (yet!) I've posted this here in Q&S.

Basically, we on the staff team are currently considering setting up a better affiliates program for commercial indie gaming outfits. Currently they're just lumped with all the other commercial games in the scrapyard; we want to know from you what we could do better and what you might want out of this.

My initial thought was essentially along the lines of the deal we offer to current project teams, which would be something like this:
- A new top-level forum for indie games (name as yet unspecified)
- New game teams could post stuff in the main body of the forum
- Affiliated teams/devs would each be given their own subforum, and we'd probably have a front-end webpage ideally with synopses and links about our affiliated developers. Affiliated teams would have access to all the promotional stuff our content team can provide - twitter, facebook, Exilian front page, etc.
- In exchange for this, Exilian would require a) that the subforum got posted on by the team on occasion (say if you didn't post for six months we'd likely archive it), and b) that the developers link to their subforum somewhere on their own website/FB/etc so there's link reciprocity.

DEVS OF EXILIAN: would you be interested in an affiliate scheme along these lines? Are there other services you'd like us to provide (within reason)? Any feedback greatly appreciated. Also, if you're not a dev or if you're a hobby developer, do you have any thoughts & input on this?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Lizard

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Indie Gaming Affiliates Program - Fact-Finding
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 03:41:18 PM »
I'd be really interested in seeing a program like this to help new devs launch themselves. There's so many people the Exilian could help us reach! I'll have a better think about what exactly we'd require from such a program (I'm drawing maps at the moment so my brain power is kind of taken up...!) but I'll get back to you with what we, as an indie dev, would require.

Link reciprocity seems totally reasonable, though I can't guarantee the traffic we'd generate.
A coder, a hoodie, a coffee pot, a robot.

"A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 04:32:26 PM »
I think it's a great idea as it should increase traffic for both parties as well as providing new and exciting content for us to peruse. :)

fish-with-feathers

• View Profile
    • Spirit Lights Dev Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 09:04:24 PM »
As a novice dev, I'm cool with this. It would make it easier to reach people who have an interest in what I'm doing.
Spirit Lights - Indie Action/Adventure RPG

More Info Here: http://spiritlightsblog.wordpress.com/

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 11:58:09 PM »
It sounds like a scheme for getting more activity on Exilian. I like. :)
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Lizard

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 11:52:06 AM »
The more I've thought about this the more it seems like a good idea - I honestly can't think of anything to add in the way of suggestions. As a small dev with the need for a lot of exposure, this would really work for me. Plus it gives people somewhere to discuss the game, and hype gets things selling like nothing else!

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 02:35:54 PM »
Maybe we might be able to find and drag other Devs such as Lizard and Fish over here as well. We can build our Indie community and they can all help each other with games, give each other advice, make suggestions. Sounds like an awesome idea.
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Lizard

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 03:11:53 PM »
I'll drop the Exilian's name into any dev conversations I'm in!

Mars

• Pope Forum Fixer I
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • The second best priest
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 06:48:48 PM »
Is the "new top-level forum" a new forum altogether, or a category on the Exilian forums? If the former, I can definitely help out there in terms of hosting and getting a domain for it.
ID#2 - May still be alive, but might just be busy or inactive.

Probably has the largest video game library of anyone here.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 12:35:11 AM »
The latter. I mean top-level forum in the sense that "Exilian Games" and "The Boozer" are top-level, they appear directly on the index.

I wouldn't want to start a whole new forum under the Exilian banner unless people could at least use the same user accounts on both, and that would be a hell of a faff to sort.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Mars

• Pope Forum Fixer I
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • The second best priest
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 05:50:05 PM »
The latter. I mean top-level forum in the sense that "Exilian Games" and "The Boozer" are top-level, they appear directly on the index.

I wouldn't want to start a whole new forum under the Exilian banner unless people could at least use the same user accounts on both, and that would be a hell of a faff to sort.
Agreed, as it'd be a hassle to share a database between two forums.
ID#2 - May still be alive, but might just be busy or inactive.

Probably has the largest video game library of anyone here.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 10:07:42 PM »
Put an extra frontpage announcement in, just in case that gets us any more feedback.