Author Topic: Wood elves (April 2014.)  (Read 11693 times)

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Wood elves (April 2014.)
« on: April 21, 2014, 09:09:48 PM »
The first wave is here.

Army book 39
Ancient Treeman 50
Araloth Hero 17,5
Magic cards 6
(Price in Euros, probably)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Info: Durthru [WS7 S6 T6 W6 A6] is a SC his rules are pretty solid he has single 2D6 shooting attack at S2 2D6 hits (the old Treeman shooting rule I'm assuming) or he can nominate a enemy single enemy model and force a I test if failed; D6 Wounds no AS. He's very well painted sword and is featured prominently on the cover.

A combo kit for Eternal Guard or whatever their name would be) -they look similar to all the new elf Shadowarrior/Sisters kits with their legs and armor -they have hoods on and halberds/scythes instead.

There's another SC that has the Stubborn Special Rule and 5 attacks as well as when he's a alone he is Unbreakable. He has some magic items that are niche but some are clinical as well. For Example his "shooting attack": at the start of your turn nominate a single enemy model within 18in', they take a S4 hit. If the wound is unsaved and the to wound roll was a 6 they lose -5 WS and I for the rest of the game.

Additionally Forest Spirit gives: +6 Ward Save, ITP, Magical shooting and close combat attacks.

All Woodies have ASF -confirmed.

Stag riders will probably be included in the next release, since there was a leaked army book illustration which was showing them and was subsequently removed.

"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Wood elves (April 2014.)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 12:12:23 AM »
And something new. Probably Eternal guard.

"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 05:16:28 PM »
Army wide rules:
Always strikes first, hatred beastmen, forest strider, no penalty to move and shoot with bows, and all bows both magical and normal re roll 1 to hit and add +1 strength at half range.
All elven wizards have +1 to cast lore of athel loren
Wardancers and waywatchers are unchanged bar waywatcher at half eange are both s4 and have killingblow
Warhawks have the old hit and run rule.
Eternal guard are unchanged bare the weapons. The searath is a spear that gives +1 strength
Mantle of the asrai gives a 6 plus ward and mantle of kurunos gives a 6 plus armour save.
Wild riders gain frenzy
Forest spirit rule gives units immune to psycology and a 6 plus ward save

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 06:05:32 AM »
A new character can be seen on the top right side.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 03:27:44 PM »
And the stag rider art:

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »
Those look awesome :)

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 10:21:51 PM »
Right now I don't really like what I'm seeing.

I prefer the older style of characters, eternal guard and the treeman.

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 10:32:17 AM »
I've never really been in to wood elves before but I get where you're coming from. If you just go by the picture of the stag riders just as a concept piece with no preconceptions then to me they look cool :)

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 03:12:58 PM »
These aren't bad, but the old models had more flow and style. They were kind of slender and elegant. That's how elves should look like in my opinion. I might get some of the old eternal guard models if the new ones turn out to be disappointing.

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 05:10:39 PM »
That's fair enough, riding a deer in to battle is sweet though :)

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 10:14:06 PM »
Better Eternal guard picture. They look really stiff and oddly positioned.
http://i.imgur.com/9GSgQ5X.jpg

Stag riders in the back. It seems that they have shields.
http://i.imgur.com/qYtJ9zl.jpg

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 04:01:41 PM »
Sisters of the thorn/wild riders 29EUR
Eternal guard / wuldwood rangers 31 EUR
Guardian of deepwood (3x treeman, 36 dryads) 190EUR

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 01:09:24 AM »
I was honestly thinking of starting a Wood elf army, but now I'm glad that I didn't invest much in it...

I'm quoting this post from Asrai.org, since it perfectly describes how I feel about this release:

Quote from: Elennare1
I am trying to be optimistic about the update.  Hoping the rules will be good (I don't have the time or inclination to try to sort through all the stuff coming out now in an attempt to figure out what's actually true or not), so I'll wait until the book's out to decide on that.

But I just have to say, I don't like the new models.  At all.
(What follows is solely my opinion, and is in no way meant to invalidate other opinions or say that those who like them are wrong.)

Taken in isolation, the infantry are pretty cool looking.  But they look like high elves to me, and have a vastly different aesthetic from the current range.  And, there are no options to put women in the units.
The Wildriders at least look more like Wood Elves, and the stags are cool (aside from the antlers needing to be attached properly, but someone already mentioned that), but those helmets.  Bleh!  The sisters are meh (swirls on the boobs?  really? and their faces aren't too good (though still an improvement over the old Sisters of Battle!)), but both units have a problem with half the riders looking like they're about to be thrown from their mounts.  When the mounts are jumping around like that, without having the lower leg/knees in contact with the mount, you really can't hold on.

The tree men just look messy to me.  Cool idea, poor execution.

I'm really hoping the rules will be good, and that I'll be able to put together an army I enjoy playing with the models I like the looks of.  I've already decided to just ignore whatever fluff changes have been made, since it's pretty obvious GW wants to move it in a direction I really don't like and away from pretty much everything that drew me to the army in the first place.

Fingers crossed for good rules!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 11:49:14 AM »
Totally bizarre to see GW actually going backwards on representation of women in armies...

Agreed with pretty much all of that post as well, the new WE just look a bit... shiny, somehow, rather than like anything I associate with actual forests.

And the treeman. Ugh. Whose idea was it to give it a goddamn sword?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...