Author Topic: Troll Station and Troll Time  (Read 4083 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Troll Station and Troll Time
« on: May 07, 2023, 03:12:16 PM »
So, I was looking at Google Calendar earlier and scrolling down alternative time zones, because I needed to put a meeting in for when I'm in Georgia and putting it in for 2pm Georgian Time rather than attempting the conversion seemed sensible. This involved me scrolling down the wide array of such time zones, and thus encountering the existence... of troll time.

Yes, Troll Time is an actual thing, it's a real time zone: it operates a winter time of CEST (+2), and a summer time of GMT (+0), leading to an unusual two hour daylight savings oddity. Why? Because Troll Time is the time at Troll Station. Which besides being another "yes that's a real place", is Norway's permanent research centre in the Antarctic, which by all accounts they built partially to secure their claims to participate in the various Antarctic treaties. In the summer Troll Time uses the actual local time zone, which would be GMT, and in the winter when it's dark and there aren't any flights they just switch to using Norwegian time.

Anyway, I thought that was an interesting curiosity :) Apparently also Troll Station is so named for the looming pillars of rock nearby, which definitely is some kind of Scandi-fantasy or possibly Folk-horror tale waiting to happen.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
Re: Troll Station and Troll Time
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 08:51:42 AM »
I like this  ;D

<< Signature redacted >>