Author Topic: Attila: Total War announced  (Read 13553 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Attila: Total War announced
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 11:13:42 PM »
I feel like I ought to try some newer TW games, but I never seem to have the time & inclination.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 02:42:10 PM »
I'm still kind of surprised at people not liking the army limit thing. For me it's one of the best changes they made. I'm also a fan of the quasi-mo-cap style the fights are in, although that too is apparently the wrong opinion to have as well :P

The thing Attila does that annoys me is that the stats no longer seem to mean anything other than as balancing tools. For the most part it's balanced well but some of the things seem odd like nobles and Roman inf having less attack than levy freedmen. They still win in fights due to higher hp and armour but to me it'd be nicer if stats more reflected the ability of each unit. Idk it just feels a bit off.

EDIT: Also the faction unlock dlc. Yeah you can mod it to play as the factions but you'd miss out on abilities and traits and such which come with the dlc that make them a unique faction.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2015, 07:10:12 PM »
I'm still kind of surprised at people not liking the army limit thing. For me it's one of the best changes they made. I'm also a fan of the quasi-mo-cap style the fights are in, although that too is apparently the wrong opinion to have as well :P

I didn't like the army limit when I was playing Rome, but its not bothering me as much in Attila so far. I don't know if its been increased or if Imperium levels have been balanced a bit or what, but it seems decent now. I think that the key thing which made me dislike it was me wanting to leave a decent garrison in frontier settlements as well as have armies in inner provinces to keep up public order and crush rebels, as you do in the original Rome.

The thing Attila does that annoys me is that the stats no longer seem to mean anything other than as balancing tools. For the most part it's balanced well but some of the things seem odd like nobles and Roman inf having less attack than levy freedmen. They still win in fights due to higher hp and armour but to me it'd be nicer if stats more reflected the ability of each unit. Idk it just feels a bit off.

I'm finding that the stats are somewhat hidden away anyway. I miss being able to right click to open a simple scroll telling me the stats, instead I have to use "Total War Encyclopedia". I've hated that thing since Shogun 2 :) . I'm pretty far into a game as the Saxons, and I only know which units are best through trial and error pretty much.

EDIT: Also the faction unlock dlc. Yeah you can mod it to play as the factions but you'd miss out on abilities and traits and such which come with the dlc that make them a unique faction.

This makes me sad. Ten factions seems like a really small number. I don't see why they have to do this. The packs are pretty expensive given they only unlock three factions (I think). I'll probably pick them up in a Steam sale nonetheless.

I'm really glad that a proper family tree has made a comeback, and the politics system seems much better than it did in Rome 2 as well. I've actually been aware of how its supposed to work, for one thing.

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 10:57:45 AM »
For me the garrison system is such a large improvement, with Emperor Edition for R2 the Imperium levels got a bit of a rework to get a smoother curve. Although I'd actually like a system where public order hits the floor if you have a large army in the city but it also can't rebel outright.

So true, the encyclopedia is decent enough n S2 I thought (mostly because it was accessible offline) but in R2 it was outright giving false information until recently.

That is exactly what they do (well, along with add new units). Family tree is better than ever imo and tbh I was again in the minority that thought the politics system in R2 was decent but it is way better in Attila.

Currently 140 turns in as Franks who have great shock cav backed up by decent infantry. But I've not played it since feb because I've been on Heroes of the Storm and replaying Dragon Age 1 and 2. :P
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.