Author Topic: Halloween Cookery: Pumpkin Soup with MoD  (Read 2525 times)

Lady Grey

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Halloween Cookery: Pumpkin Soup with MoD
« on: October 31, 2014, 06:45:43 PM »
Happy Halloween! :D

For my soup, I vaguely followed this recipe: I used all the ingredients listed here.
However, as there are only two of us, I halved the amounts (and used a much smaller pumpkin! Only about 2kg)

To begin with, I hollowed out the pumpkin, but didn't worry about leaving 1 inch of flesh around it, as I haven't used my pumpkin to serve the soup in (I did however, leave enough that I could later carve it) :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then I more or less followed the recipe exactly for a while - softened the onions in the butter:

Chopped the pumpkin flesh and added it to the pan with a cinnamon stick, ground nutmeg, and salt and pepper:

I find timings on recipes online to be a bit out and/or inconsistent at times, but do cook this for the recommended 45 minutes to release all the flavour (I possibly even left it a little longer) :)

Added the stock and brought soup to the boil:

After letting it simmer for a few minutes I then liquidised it with a hand blender (Don't forget to remove the cinnamon stick at this point before liquidisation!) (NOTE: Hand blenders are incredible when making soup. It literally took 30-40 seconds):

This is where I diverged from the recipe, having brought the soup back to the boil, I added the sherry:

Having let that boil as well for 5 minutes or so, I tested the soup, and seasoned with pepper again.

Done!

It was really simple to make, and tastes delicious!
(NOTE: I wouldn't expect the amount we've made to really feed 4-5 unless they're quite small portions, but I find BBC recipes are always off on serving size anyway :P )