Author Topic: What have you been eating?  (Read 89739 times)

medievalfantasyqueen

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: What have you been eating?
« Reply #375 on: June 25, 2023, 11:51:22 AM »
Today was relatively mild, a vegetarian South Indian meal with lentil soup, and a variety of cooked vegetables, all to go down with a type of pepper-herb soup (which is called rasam in Tamil).

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #376 on: June 25, 2023, 12:48:52 PM »
Pepper-herb as in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peperomia_pellucida ? It's not something I'm as familiar with I guess.

Also, a dump of Caucasus food pictures, as I've been eating out a lot in Georgia & Armenia so there's plenty of interesting food to share from there...

A tamtaki - a fusion "traditional Georgian dish on a soft taco" thing. Here with Skhmeruil, garlic chicken.
Was extremely good.

A meal at Veriko, which is an excellent Georgian restaurant.
The bread item is a kubdari, a meat-filled bread, and the cheese is gebzhalia, a cheese, mint and matsoni dish.

Khinkali, some meat some cheese, at the restaurant Shemomechama.
The name of the restaurant is a verb roughly meaning "I ate it by accident".

Trout is quite a thing in Armenia.
This smoked trout & orange bruschetta were at Cafe Ilik, which is now my favourite Yerevan Cafe.

I occasionally managed some familiar tea. This with a fairly Armenian-style layered honey cake in the back.

And a less familiar tea in Yerevan, this one made out of sweetened sea buckthorn, a notably sour fruit raw.

Georgian has no letter f in the alphabet.
As such, when I saw a Tbilisi waffle shop I had to get one to be amused at it being a wapple. It was also nice.

In general I think Tbilisi has better restaurants than Yerevan, but Yerevan does better snacks and street food.
This kiln bread (baked on the side of an open kiln) is absolutely the food of the gods.

Good tolma is good, I've had a lot of bad tolma in the past but I really enjoyed the stuff I could get in Yerevan.

Chicken harissa. I enjoyed this one!

Back in Tbilisi, a vegetarian kharcho, fried aubergine in walnut sauce, at the vegetarian cafe Leila which is nice & pretty.

Chicken in berry sauce from the Corner at Tabidze restaurant. It was excellent.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #377 on: July 01, 2023, 10:44:26 AM »
I am very hungry now, congrats everyone

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #378 on: March 14, 2024, 01:05:37 PM »
A food update of Things I Have Been Eating in the first part of 2024! :)

Pasta with sour cream, chives, lemon juice, and smoked salmon as a sauce. The sprinkling on top is sumac. This was excellent.

Canapes from my in-person birthday celebrations. Sadly wasn't able to serve these at the online event.

One of my classic fried khachapuris (is this my signature recipe? Is that a thing I have now?)

Cheese polenta with tomatoes and berberis berries: looks like very much A Lump but was actually very good.

Pancake day, the savoury side: melting cheese with old doverhouse chutney onto a crepe as it finishes frying.

Pancake day, the sweet side: melting nutella with bananas onto a crepe.

I made some little pastries to use up some frozen apricots I'd had for ages!

Sadly I wildly overcooked them, but they were quite tasty anyway despite the looks.

From my Italy travels, a squacquerone (almondy crumble-cake base) cheesecake. This was very good.

A sandwich from Bologna which was especially good: an Italian blue cheese with I think pork shoulder and a few other things.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Spritelady

• Tribounos
    Site Magistrate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #379 on: March 14, 2024, 05:44:42 PM »
I have set myself a food-related challenge for this year! I am attempting to make at least one dish in a style/cuisine that I haven't attempted before!

January went well, with Jubal providing me with the inspiration to choose Georgian cuisine for my first attempt. I made a nice cheese bread boat and a chicken stew that went well!

February was interesting: I chose Lebanese, on the recommendation of my future mother-in-law, whose family is Lebanese, and made a chickpea and spinach pie with lentils:

Sadly it's now halfway through March and I can't settle on something I want to make this month. Any suggestions for me? I've made a lot of Italian/Spanish dishes before, and a few Asian ones, but otherwise haven't branched out much (hence the challenge!)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #380 on: March 14, 2024, 05:55:16 PM »
Sadly it's now halfway through March and I can't settle on something I want to make this month. Any suggestions for me? I've made a lot of Italian/Spanish dishes before, and a few Asian ones, but otherwise haven't branched out much (hence the challenge!)
What about something South American? Trying to do empanadas or ceviche or something? I've never got round to making those but they seem fun.

Spritelady

• Tribounos
    Site Magistrate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #381 on: March 14, 2024, 06:15:52 PM »
Ooh that's a great idea! Thank you!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #382 on: March 16, 2024, 12:20:50 PM »
Well, let us know how it goes :)

Spritelady

• Tribounos
    Site Magistrate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #383 on: March 18, 2024, 11:40:12 AM »
So I decided I had better get on with making empanadas, given that March was half over, and made some beef and chorizo ones last night:

They turned out pretty well! If anyone has any suggestions for April, let me know!