Aye
6 (100%)
Nay
0 (0%)
Abstain
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: November 20, 2014, 02:20:04 AM

Author Topic: MOTION: Net Neutrality - Official Stance PASSED 6-0-0  (Read 5021 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
MOTION: Net Neutrality - Official Stance PASSED 6-0-0
« on: November 13, 2014, 02:19:42 AM »
Hello all!

So from previous discussions we've had on this I assume people are on board with this, but thought I should check. The issue of Net Neutrality keeps rearing its head, and given that unlike most political issues it very directly affects us and our existence I feel it's something we should set down an official line on for staff to follow - generally I think Exilian should avoid having "official stances" on many things, but this is one that very much cuts to the core of what we and many other sites are here for and about. My own proposal is that that stance is unequivocally in favour of net neutrality, as that seems to be in our best interests.

For a brief if biased guide to net neutrality, one can do little better than The Oatmeal: http://theoatmeal.com/blog/net_neutrality

I think this is one that we can argue out whilst voting on it, though feel free to vote the motion down if you think we need more discussion time.

This plaza  moves:

a) That the Exilian citizen body supports the concept  of Net Neutrality.
b) That this is understood to mean the concept that service providers should not be permitted to discriminate between data types and sources being transferred through their infrastructure.
c) That this is not in any way to be seen as an indictment of any Exilian member or citizen who chooses to believe otherwise, but is an official guideline as supported by the citizen body as a collective entity.

a) That staff members should, if the need arises and when acting in that capacity, verbally support the above guidelines given by the Plaza.
b) That this must particularly be the case when using official Exilian mouthpieces such as social media accounts
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 08:33:58 AM by Glaurung »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: MOTION: Net Neutrality - Official Stance PASSED 6-0-0
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 08:36:29 AM »
The motion passed; it's moved to Active Legislation due to its continuing effect on staff members.