Author Topic: US Torture Report  (Read 11269 times)

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: US Torture Report
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2014, 09:38:27 PM »
You can't be a traitor to a country you don't belong to.

Apologies, I thought you meant people living in the west were being radicalised, because people outside the west don't get the same type of journalism we do anyway and freedom of speech isn't necessarily a thing. Obviously there is a chasm between what we're talking about but hey, we could each start listing different countries that do and don't apply to each side and get absolutely nowhere.

People aren't binaristically either "let's blow up the west" or "we love the west". Modern war has public opinion as a major battleground, and we need that on our side. The suicide bomber is the tip of an iceberg - a broader culture of mistrust and dislike of the western powers and what they stand for, which provides starting fuel for those who seek to turn that into radicalism, and which hurts us and our ability to manoeuvre on the international stage.

No, but anything less than blow up (or relative armed bs) the west is enough to live here. Then you go through the regular channels of protest/demonstration etc. Also as you are well aware, public opinion is rubbish (hold the torches a sec, let me explain). The average joe has no idea what's going on, hell, most people in the UK don't even read a broadsheet*, let alone then go on to do further reading. In terms of objectivity, public opinion is worthless because even though neither you nor I have great information on what goes on, at least we have more than most. If you're talking about public opinion over in terrorist countries then I see that from a different view than you do as well. I couldn't care less what they think, if they house terrorists, kill them. If the country keeps producing radicals that try and kills us over and over again, level the country. So in my opinion, winning them over isn't a thing that needs to be accounted for. Although, don't get me wrong, I can also see it from your position where making friends and winning the population over with diplomacy is the right tactic to take and they'll stop creating radicals because they'll come to see us as friends etc. Different ways to go about a problem, I don't think one is absolutely right over the other, but I do believe that what I suggest is better. Otherwise I wouldn't hold the position.....Obviously :P

Also, it's not that simple as I'm sure you know.  And which, if we stand for beating up people senseless for "information" that has never been proven useful compared to alternative methods, actually might not be wholly unreasonable.

I also fail to see how it hampers our ability to move on the political stage. You don't think that Germany, France, Poland, Russia, Spain all either use the information got from torture or do it themselves. At best they're hypocrites if they look down on someone for doing that. And also: it's not something we stand for in terms of principle, it's the exception, not the rule. It's a necessary evil.

So you're just going to trust the people who stand to benefit most from defending the system to say that torture is effective? Somewhat naive on your part, methinks. Also, you really think the CIA wouldn't have provided a single smoking gun if they actually had a load? To stop the utter damnation this report has brought upon them? I find that pretty hard to believe.

I don't have to trust them in absolution to think they're right. Do I trust them to protect us? Sure. Do I trust them to tell us the truth on how they go about it? No, of course not. I have no idea what you're meaning by smoking guns. That's usually someone caught red handed which erm... hasn't particularly happened here and even if it had, would be irrelevant on the discussion of the objective use of torture. Utter damnation? More than a little melodramatic and also I would argue, inaccurate. We've known people get tortured for ages, since nearly forever people who threaten the state have been tortured, not enough people are against it to make it stop. There aren't anywhere near enough calls for the CIA to be dismantled because of torture for anyone to stop it. So, utter damnation, I don't think so. Aaaaand, yeah I think the CIA would give press as little information as they can to make them go away.

Yes, I know the example was battlefield but it was also counter-terrorism, they aren't necessarily separate. You sweepingly said there are 0 cases where it has been a timed situation. I gave a real example using fake forces where time is of the essence.

*will quote if you need me to but I bet you've seen it anyway.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2014, 12:30:33 PM »
I couldn't care less what they think, if they house terrorists, kill them. If the country keeps producing radicals that try and kills us over and over again, level the country.
I think this is basically a summary of where we depart from one another - it is a workable theoretical alternative to simply flatten anyone who disagrees with the West, if you basically don't think non-western lives hold value. I'm just starting from the position that pretty much all lives hold value, and inevitably reaching different conclusions.

The problem (that is to say, the non-moral problem) with the valuelessness theory is that for it to "work", you need to be prepared for a level of brutality that I don't think the west accomplishes. Killing your enemies works (cf the Romans or the Mongols). On the other hand, what doesn't kill them can make them stronger (because if we blow up town A that harbours terrorists, towns B, C, and D in the area hate us, etc). I think cowing the world into submission through fear tactics is a strategy that has essentially been rendered exceptionally difficult by modern communications.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2014, 02:36:18 PM »
It would be difficult, for sure, and would take over a hundred years, would bankrupt us and we'd have little to show for it other than defeating what could be the single largest threat we face, popular opinion would plummet, taxes would probably rise, unemployment would rise, price of living would rise etc. I realise this and yet I still think the result would be worth it. The way I see it is that there will be a war, sometime, between Islam and pretty much everyone else. I'd rather nip it in the bud now than perhaps those extremists, which I believe are growing in number by the day and have not even begun to reach critical mass, getting nuclear weapons from neighbouring Israel or Pakistan. Which is I think where we differ again, I don't believe there can be real peace from Islamic nations. I'm looking for the least loss of life as well, we just have different ways to go about it. And if torture helps, which I think it does, go for it with a sour taste in your mouth and a lifetime of sleepless nights.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

joek

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2014, 10:53:17 PM »
The way I see it is that there will be a war, sometime, between Islam and pretty much everyone else. I'd rather nip it in the bud now than

There are ~1.6bn Muslims in the world today. Killing them all off in order to prevent global warfare is not a workable alternative in any conceivable reality.

perhaps those extremists, which I believe are growing in number by the day and have not even begun to reach critical mass, getting nuclear weapons from neighbouring Israel or Pakistan.

You're prepared to advocate quite a serious, costly, morally indefensible, strategy in order to prevent Islamist extremists getting hold of Israeli nuclear weapons!?!?!? Ways to ensure that Islamic extremists get hold of nuclear weapons in the shortest possible amount of time:

1. Make it the only possible way they can avoid genocide against Muslims.

2. Make it the only possible way they can avoid genocide against Muslims.

3. Make it the only possible way they can avoid genocide against Muslims.

The first effect your policy would have would be to send the death toll from Islamic terrorism through the roof.

joek

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2014, 10:57:50 PM »
Say you've just been in a skirmish against (everything is hypothetical and slightly ridiculous, but I hope it illustrates a point) the IRA. You capture one guy that hid in a bathroom as you were doing a floor sweep. However these guys have three of your SAS buddies who were injured by an IED who you assume have either been killed or taken somewhere. You have probably only a couple of hours at most to get this guy to talk. Making friends will take too long, so you shoot out one of his kneecaps and remove the nails from three fingers all the while asking where they were heading tonight and if they've seen any other of your guys. That might just get you an answer, even if it's not the one you're looking for at least you've done all you could for your mates.

The only answer that will get you is the first location he can think of which is as far away from where he's been as possible. Clearly you have no moral compunction against torture, so he has nothing to lose by telling you a pack of lies -- you may torture him anyway if you defuse the bomb, for all he knows. And that's if his information is useful in saving your friend, which you cannot possibly know.

Meanwhile, if he lies to you, he gains the benefit of killing one of the enemy, and doesn't lose anything.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2014, 02:28:07 PM »
Not saying kill them all off. That's insane. You realise these people in Islamic countries have no choice other than Islam? Let them have a choice, if they choose Islam, fine, but over a while (like I said, I think 200 years might be enough) more and more will choose not and the minority won't be able to get the support they get now, they'll just end up fighting guerrilla like they are now, but completely ineffectively as the countries would have western tech and ideals which will be more popular.

Right in this plan I conveniently forgot that Muslims will be trying to defend themselves, silly me. No, Israel, if needed, is reinforced by the west. I don't care how many AK-47s you can get in the hands of extremists: tactics, discipline and better tech will win out.

In the example, sure the subject might tell you lies then you either go walking in the sand for a few hours but the alternative is that you get the truth and you can save a mate. You're thinking like a) rationality wins over versus extreme pain. I doubt that immensely. And b) He's a smart (relative) terrorist. I doubt that immensely too.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2014, 02:36:31 PM »
You did, I quote, suggest that we "level" entire countries, Rob. :P

I'm not sure any more what you ARE suggesting in policy terms. Nobody here is arguing that people shouldn't have a choice about whether or not to be a Muslim...
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2014, 03:41:19 PM »
Yeah but that's not the same as killing them all, plenty are here living in the west. The ones in countries that keep producing terrorists, those countries I'd be happy with leveling.

joek

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2014, 04:53:46 PM »
Which countries would those be then? Many Muslims associated with terrorism do have links with the West. The 7/7 bombers were all Brits, for instance.

Assuming you limit your attentions to Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Afghanistan, that's still a population of 175,000,000 people you want to kill off. Including the West's second most powerful ally in the region, after Israel. That's a terrible idea from a practical as well as an ethical perspective.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2014, 06:19:38 PM »
You know what they say about making assumptions.

Any country under Islamic law, remove Islamic law, give people a choice on what they want. Give them actual freedom, build Costa Coffees, encourage young people to rebel against their parents. Western things. IF the countries (more certain parts of countries really) keep producing terrorists, level them. you're still not getting the 'This isn't about making friends or allies' thing. It doesn't matter if we lose any eastern allies except Israel.

I disagree that many Muslim terrorists have links in the west. The organisations do, sure, but only so far as muslims here think that they're an ideal to follow. Actual born and bred English Muslims probably have a cousin or uncle or whatever in some mid east country but that doesn't mean they have links there.

@Joek You've mentioned ethics or morality in each post. There is no point. I think your ethics are naive, you think mine are reprehensible. We both know that, there's no point in discussing it.

joek

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2014, 11:47:22 AM »
Any country under Islamic law, remove Islamic law, give people a choice on what they want.

What do you do if or when they want Islamic law? (To take Egypt as an example, the Muslim Brotherhood are doing better now that there are free elections in the country than they were when the country was a dictatorship.)

I disagree that many Muslim terrorists have links in the west.

You can disagree that Western countries produce Islamic terrorists all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that they do. 5 7/7 bombers, 5 21/7 bombers, 2 shoe bombers, 4 of the 5 who planned the attacks on Glasgow airport, to name just some high profile cases, have links with, either citizenship or long-term residency in, the UK.

IF the countries (more certain parts of countries really) keep producing terrorists, level them

Are you going to expand this to any country which produces any terrorists, or is it merely Muslim terrorists? If the former, it's unworkable: you'd have to start with the US, and good luck with that. If the latter, you're not doing anything which will actually protect us. Just killing in the name of Islamophobia. In the UK since 2010, there are 5 successful terrorist attacks listed on Wikipedia. 4 were against Mosques From 2000-2010, there were 7 successful IRA bombings, and 4 successful Islamist attacks. This excludes Northern Ireland, and so most IRA activity.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2014, 04:11:36 AM »
Oh dear, you're doing that thing where you're substituting my words for your own. Yikes! First a couple of word nuances for you, you seem to not quite get the meaning, but that's ok, as always I'm here to help!

links= association with (usually both/all parties are aware of the others involvement)

produced= came from (if you need help with this one, see your teacher)

Yes the terrorists from 7/7 etc were British born and were Islamic. Does that explicitly mean that they have ties with terrorist organisations? Oh no, of course not! And really it should be you arguing that side but oh well, I'm quite comfortable reversing roles. Which either means your original comment was that British people have links with Britain, which is completely useless, or as I thought (giving you perhaps too much credit here), that the bombers had links with terrorist organisations, which I disagree with. Because there is no hard evidence either way, I'm not sure you can say I'm definitively wrong here.

Just the ones that threaten the non-Islamic world, so yes these ones happen to be Muslims. If Taoists were threatening the non-Taoist world, then I'd be advocating a preemptive strike against the mighty and prosperous Taoist countries! Is it Islamophobia? No! It's survivophilia! Lets ask why there were only 5 successful terrorist attacks, when there were so many more planned ones. Ok, ok I'll tell you, sheesh you, getting all this knowledge from me! Pfft. It's because our secret service guys and gals are just too darn good at their jobs! Give the terrorists a break you might say, they have to win sometimes! Ha ha Skippy! Well actually no. They don't, and really it would be so much better if they never won! At all! Then we wouldn't even know about them and largely pointless hypothetical discussions could be almost entirely avoided! Boy, you've sure given me a lot to think about though! I even looked up how Egypt have been getting on! It oddly seems like you were perhaps widely mistaken! 24 March this year 529 Muslim Bro's were sentenced to death! Oops! And in April, on the fifteenth of the month former members were banned from running in presidential and parliamentary elections. If this is them doing better, I wouldn't have liked to see them doing worse! (Just kidding, of course I would!) As an aside, they've also been labelled terrorists by their own people!

Egypt it seems wants Sharia Law! Wow it looks so good on paper! You never get grief for not shaving, women never need to worry about what to wear! (Black is so slimming when worn from head to toe and not only is it this seasons look, it's every seasons look!) Women aren't allowed to touch men (handshakes and the like, mind out the gutter, you!) who aren't directly related. Two of the greatest gifts bestowed upon man is denied to them (beer and bacon) (*Thinking for a moment, some of the best things begin with 'B' Bacon, beer, boobs, Brighton, bear-claws, beer.*) which is punishable by flogging iirc.

Hai do u liek mai sauz? You'll hate it, it's full of all kinds of nasty things like perspective and experience. http://chersonandmolschky.com/2014/04/07/support-sharia-law-world/

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2014, 07:50:29 AM »
I'm feeling like armadillo and its too early for this but I also can't sleep so here go-eth bloody nothing:

- Pretty sure nobody here is advocating Sharia law, Rob. That said, its worth noting that like any other legal system Sharia is often implemented piecemeal, so for example Tunisia (which is effectively secular) still uses the sharia rules on a few matters like divorce or inheritance. Indeed its a set of codes that areintended to be interpreted by judges, so no two implementations are actually alike, which may mean your definition needs a bit more nuance than simply "Islamic law".

- The Brotherhood have been crushed *since* the army retook power, which isn't exactly a democratic rejection of their principles. You yourself stipulated that people should have a choice, which I assume/hope precludes "crushingly corrupt military junta".

- Not sure what you're arguing with regard to the bombers. Given most of our severe terror attacks have been home grown, don't you therefore feel it's reasonable to conclude that if they didn't have links abroad then we should, I dunno, deal with the problem here? I think that in any case it should be taken as obvious that the international situation fuels radicalism whether or not you think k there are formal links. Hate preachers on the web - often based around the world - will use the realities of western intervention, torture programmes, and so on to persuade young and impressionable people back here that the western system is fundamentally against Islam. This then makes them more susceptible to the idea of "democracy and western morals aren't designed for people like me", and from thence to " bring down the system", and ultimately in a few cases to violent actions against the system. The legacy of Western interventionism is a key part in that - if it was just "which country is most free and has least truck with religious law" as the targeting mechanism then I'm fairly certain wed be getting rather lower levels of terrorism and Sweden or Iceland rather higher. I think you're vastly underestimating the reach and communications ability of extremists, in believing that basically they are just mindless evil drones who we can bomb along with their families to no consequence.

In any case, I appreciate I might well be misinterpreting you here (and I apologise if so) so I'd appreciate a more thorough going over of your basic policy ideas. Firstly, how do you in practical terms propose to remove Islamic law from all fifty or so states who have it? Second, if you're right and bombers here aren't linked to terrorist networks abroad, how will that keep us safe? Thirdly, what actually is your policy toward areas that produce terrorists after the imposition of western law? How many terrorists are needed to destroy what sort of area? Do you have any concerns at all about radicalising survivors?

- Isn't a better question to ask "why do people want to kill us in the first place"? And secondly "what are the most effective and workable methods we can use to reduce that threat?". I'm fairly sure neither of those questions leads to an answer of let the security services brutally torture people".

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2014, 05:50:25 PM »
That is the very reason I use the term Islamic law instead of Sharia Jub. The laws they have are always influenced at least by sharia and adhered to strictly at most. I believe this is a bad thing, for me, laws should be *only* influenced by what is best for the people and that the ones who make them should be putting the population first. Sharia, loosely or strictly, does not do that in any way. It segregates population and imposes harsh and unjust penalties for things which we consider freedoms in the west.

I was pedantically choosing how to interpret joeks post as he has done so many times.

About the bombers: they feel like they have links abroad and are fighting for a cause bigger than themselves. This isn't in any doubt. However as to whether anyone abroad actually knows who they are: I doubt it. Basically because Islam is worldwide they technically have links worldwide, however this is a useless point in and of itself. Using the term links as having contacts, getting arms and equipment from overseas (which is not useless to argue in and of itself), I'm saying I doubt that. But I also have just as much to go on as anyone who says otherwise so its purely speculation.

Also I'd say we are dealing with the problem here, its taking time, there is no easy fix and it is more than just a problem here, we can't just look to our own borders and screw the rest of the world. I believe that as a western power we have a moral obligation to help fight this wherever it is. Which is partly why I'm such a fan of the US, they know they're the de facto world peacekeeping service because they are the most powerful force (in ideals) for good and they do what they think is right by taking action, unlike a lot of other western countries which are content to talk about it. Sometimes it goes tits up, but at least they try.

Hate preachers are on the streets of Leicester, London, Nottingham as well as the web. The number of Muslims that go to some of these rallies is staggering. The guys on the web, sure they're bad and usually the most abhorrent in what they say. But as we know it's much easier to sit at a pc and talk bollocks than it is to actually form a rally in the street and take your hate out there. The people that *just* watch the online hate speech are less likely to actually go out and do things than the ones that attend the rallies. Free speech is fine, I have no problem in theory with them speaking hate in the streets or online but where does the line exist if there is one? Can freedom of speech protect people who are trying to radicalise otherwise moderates? Sure. Does it give them the right to be dicks? Yep. (And thank hell for that, otherwise I'd be done for) But does it give them the right to tell a group of people to attack buildings/places/people?

Worth a mention also are the number of Muslims that demonise ISIL, terror groups and preach the advancement of Muslim law to catch up with the rest of the world. I might be tempted to say that they outnumber the hate preachers online but I'd be guessing. I do look at both sides and that giant chasm in the middle. So why not let these guys gather more and more publicity until Sharia is modernised you might say? It'd be nigh impossible, they have Grand Imams and Grand Mufti (they get to wear casual clothes in mosques) but these guys by necessity follow Islam to the letter, which means that these guys aren't going to want to change The Quran (which dictates Sharia). Sunni Islam also has a sort of extra set of rules that give them their name: these are more like Buddhism where you try and emulate the prophet Mohammed, it's known as an unobtainable goal but is worthy in pursuit anyway. I don't know which take precedence but I can't imagine that they'd conflict much if at all anyway.

As a perhaps interesting aside: Muslims can eat pork and such if it is the only form of sustenance as life is valued above all. This isn't confined to Muslim life in that particular passage as far as I can tell. The groups that attack people 'for Allah' are choosing which part of the Quran to accept. Just in case that needs reinforcing.

Back to argument! The bombers that target the UK and the US (and more recently, France, Holland) are usually homegrown. They get our news but they also have access to news from abroad which (like all news) is tinted by whoever (producer, journalist, etc). The ones in Saudi, Iran whatever have censorship on loads of media so...meh I doubt they get an accurate picture of what we're doing or why.... Which is unsurprising given that the general population of those countries doesn't know either.

How do we remove Islamic law? Occupy the country and have Islamic law not matter with people using that law on their side in defense of actions to be treated as a criminal. Over a long time, the benefits of not having Islamic law would shine through and it would be accepted. This is something new I considered, if Sharia law updates to modern principles, hell, have Sharia modelled on a conservative western society but add in the 'don't eat pork and don't drink' clause. But like I said I don't think it will until either hell freezes over or the Grand Imams/Grand Mufti are modernised by force, by us. Although I don't know which would happen first ;) How does taking out the centre of Islam cause a drop in activity of Islamic bombers here? It moves their priorities from attack to defense, it takes away the belief in a unified Islamic world if their home provinces are gone. Places that produce terrorists after the imposition of western law: level the buildings, give them no place to hide, force them out and kill them. How many terrorists are needed to destroy what sort of area? Is that the setup for a racist bar joke? Seriously I have no idea what you're asking. If you mean how much devastation can one man cause? Then there is no answer, there are far too many variables. At least, a few kills with a gun, at most perhaps a building. Maybe you're overestimating the power of homemade explosives but they aren't capable of taking down a building unless you happen to be an architect and have stockpiled it for a while... and can get access to the building while carrying a covered wheelbarrow. Concerns about radicalising survivors? Good reason not to leave any I guess, but yeah that is a problem. Which is why it'd have to be over a long period of time. Take the population of the UK for a sec. People my grandparents age tend to have a mistrust of Germans for WW2, rationally or irrationally. People our age don't really give a damn what they did 70 years ago. Along that mentality, 200 years afterwards, nobody will care. It'll be demonised in history books and kids in school will be bored by it.

Why do they want to kill us is an easy question to answer. The Quran tells them to. How do we reduce the threat? Neutralise the threat with lethal force. And how do we neutralise the threat? I'd argue torture is a useful if distasteful part of it. You argue that it isn't...Useful, not distasteful. I don't believe they're mindless, or that you can kill them without consequence, but I do believe that the consequence is less.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2014, 06:20:31 PM »
Why do they want to kill us is an easy question to answer. The Quran tells them to.
This is explicitly bullarmadillo. The Quran permits warfare (unsurprising for a book written when it was), but if you wish to ban the Quran for promoting warfare you should also be banning the Bible, Torah, etc, which can be used in an equally aggressive manner. I think it's relatively clear historically that the relationship between the religion of states and their or their populaces' levels of aggression is minimal; this is an absurdly simplistic answer. Indeed as you point out, there are alternative interpretations of the Quran, so you yourself clearly understand there's a lot more depth to this problem.

As to survivors, you're simply not thinking in realistic terms. People have this awkward tendency to move around and have links over relatively long distances, even in the wilderness of Waziristan. It's not a question of blasting a direct area into a crater - the person likely to be radicalised isn't necessarily the guy in the next house, it's the man two villages down, or living in a different city, whose childhood friend or uncle or grandmother you just blew up because they happened to live a hundred metres from a gun-armed nutter. For most given areas (short of carpet bombing on a scale that the entire world doesn't have the munitions to support) there will be more survivors than casualties and there's not much you can do about that. The fact is that we don't have the manpower or money to adopt a scorched earth strategy of this type over an area as large as "the Islamic world". The whole of the US and UK armed forces might be able to occupy one country effectively at a time, perhaps two, but not fifty. Strategically speaking, you're just vastly overestimating our capabilities.

I'm arguing that torture isn't useful, I should add, not because I don't also think it's extremely distasteful - I just feel like the fact it's useless might be a better way to approach it when arguing with you specifically.