Game Design and Project Resources: The Workshops Quarter > Tabletop Design - The Senet House

Mr Pickles of Botolph Lane - the Card Game

(1/3) > >>

Jubal:
MR PICKLES: THE CARD GAME

Backstory
Mr Pickles of Botolph Lane is a kindly old wizard who lives with his cat, Snoozleby, and a number of other companions and occasional guests.

For more details on how on earth this was created:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)The full story behind this starts with a time when someone knocked on my door and asked if I was Mr Pickles. I sadly had to inform the delivery guy that I was not, whereupon two things happened. Firstly, the guy went to try the next house. Secondly, I realised that there was, or had been, a Mr Pickles of Botolph Lane. I informed a friend of this, whereupon it was swiftly decided that he was a wizard with a cat called Snoozleby. Added to the family was soon the pre-existing character of Harold the Buntopus, and then it sort of spiralled out of control...
The Game
In the Mr Pickles game, the secrets of one of the artefacts of Botolph Lane must be uncovered. The artefacts will often not make this easy, however, and so it's a race against time to work through the house's various challenges and gain "curiosities" and items that can be used to unravel the mystery. The game consists of drawing and playing cards and using items to attempt quests, which allow the win conditions to be met. It is played collaboratively.

There is a deck of ARTEFACT cards; each artefact has

Also selected at the start of the game, there are CHARACTER cards. Each character card has a number of stats - MAGIC, DREAMS, VIGOUR, and FRIENDLINESS - which may be tested throughout the game. A stat test is usually done by attempting to roll less than or equal to the number on 2d6. Each character also has a bonus special ability.

Each player starts with one ITEM card and can gain more from quests. Usually only one item card can be played each turn - playing a card can have significant benefits, though item cards may also be needed in order to be used to complete quests or fulfil win conditions. There is a large range of items in the deck.

To gain items or curiosities, the QUEST cards are needed. These will give a set of conditions to be met, which a player can attempt. All conditions are effectively attempted simultaneously. If the quest conditions are met, certain gains will be made.

~To Be Completed~

Glaurung:
I think the Spoons of McCoy should be somewhere in the game (if they're not already), though I don't know whether they are an item or an artefact.

Jubal:
They're an item card that allows you to automatically complete one quest, regardless of the requirements :)

(The exception being the quest "Why?"which cannot be completed under any circumstances)

Pentagathus:
Sounds bitching.

Glaurung:

--- Quote from: Jubal on December 20, 2014, 12:05:54 PM ---They're an item card that allows you to automatically complete one quest, regardless of the requirements :)

--- End quote ---
Glad to hear it.

--- Quote from: Jubal on December 20, 2014, 12:05:54 PM ---(The exception being the quest "Why?"which cannot be completed under any circumstances)

--- End quote ---
Something in me says that there should be an item "Because" that is the only thing allowing the completion of "Why?", but I don't know how this would work with the game dynamics.

In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing this in action, and I can probably be persuaded to do some game testing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version