Author Topic: MAGFest Indie Showcase game "Vidar" is now live on Kickstarter!  (Read 6605 times)

razavidn

• View Profile
    • Awards
MAGFest Indie Showcase game "Vidar" is now live on Kickstarter!
« on: January 27, 2015, 02:02:31 AM »
Hi friends!

My game Vidar is currently live on Kickstarter, and we need your support! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1478407710/vidar-an-rpg-puzzler-where-everyone-dies

Here's the trailer vid =D

Overview and Summary

Vidar is focused on random but still cohesive narrative. It takes place in a town of 24 different people, and every night, a random one of them is killed by a beast. These 24 NPCs have their own stories, quests to give the player, and relationships with each other. When one person dies, every living NPC's story reacts to that, and the town is impacted. But because the order of death's is random, the story that's told is different every time.

To stop the beast, you need to find it at the bottom of its lair. The lair is an environmental puzzle-dungeon, and you'll have limited time to race to the beast before everyone in town is dead. The puzzles in the dungeon are also all random, so that if you want to come back to Vidar to see a new story, you'll still find a new challenge in the game.

I'd love to hear what you think, and please share with your friends!!

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: MAGFest Indie Showcase game "Vidar" is now live on Kickstarter!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 09:40:01 AM »
Hey raz :)

I'll say it up front: I'm not into puzzlers, I'm a simple guy with simple tastes: shooing things. :P

However; damn this game looks amazing. It looks like it will be great for streamers depending on how long it takes for one playthrough. I can definitely see Dodger playing something like this.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

razavidn

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 01:03:40 PM »
Thanks, Colossus! One playthrough is going to take about 4-5 hours, depending on whether you're the kind of person that talks to every single NPC and checks all the lore. I can really see streamers getting into it to see some different story lines!

If you're interested at all, the demo's available on the Kickstarter page. Might just change your mind about puzzlers ;)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 02:46:11 PM »
I, on the other hand, do like puzzlers a lot. :)

The theme looks good, and I like the semi-random elements. Will the attributes etc of the "beast" be the same in all playthroughs, or is it just the order of other elements that's generated?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

razavidn

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 11:01:29 PM »
Hey Jubal! One of the stretch goals is to make the MacGuffin in each game change - and it's something I may do anyways even if we don't hit it. That being said, there will always be a consistent, loose frame story holding the game together. It's the journey in the middle that's randomized each time. Just to clarify, because the order of death's changes, a *lot* of things follow. Different NPCs have different needs depending on who dies when (and assuming they don't predecease everyone themselves).

So an example is the blacksmith. She's got a quest where she wants you to grab ore from the beast's cave and bring it back to her. When you do, the blacksmith will:

• Have the idea to reinforce some of the doors in town. People behind those doors will be saved from the Beast until everyone not in reinforced houses is dead.
  • Reinforce the doors at double the speed if her assistant is alive
  • Be able to spend more time outside at night if the alchemist replaced the oil in the street lights recently (and, of course, was alive long enough to do so). If she's able to dedicate more time to her task, *and* her apprentice is alive, the assistant will suggest that they expend the new resources to build you a tunnel deep into the cave instead, essentially functioning as a shortcut.

This is one of several hundred quests in the game, and you're only going to see one outcome based on what the status of the game is at the time you turn in the quest. That way it's not just the same X number of things "shuffled" for the playthrough, it really is different when you play.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 11:42:59 PM »
That's extremely neat, I like the idea a lot :)

I'll play through the demo and maybe write up a review of it if that'd be helpful? Might have to wait until the weekend when I'm less swamped in Romans though.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

razavidn

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 02:55:24 AM »
A review would be awesome! Really anything to signal boost would be tremendous.

SaidaiSloth

• King of the sloths
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 03:21:39 AM »
Almost $8,000 in what, about 15 days, is very impressive. I think we'd all like if you remain active on this forum, especially if not just for updates, but joining in the community - we love new people to chat to! :)
ADORABLENESS WARNING
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

chndvivek

• View Profile
    • fielice survey bypass trick
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 01:29:24 PM »
just ana amazing blog thats great

razavidn

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 03:33:50 AM »
Thanks Armadillo! We're up to just shy of 12k now, but have less than 20 days to go so need the signal boost. And yes, I definitely want to explore these forums more - seems like an awesome group of people!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 01:18:40 PM »
Downloading the demo now :)

If you want some concentrated help on signal boosting, you might want to take a look at what we rather over-grandly call our "affiliates programme". Basically the way it works is that you (non-bindingly) agree to turn up and post at least once a month, we link-swap, and then we're obliged/able to put your KS on the front page and plug it regularly on the twitter and so on.
Details are here: http://www.exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3208.0

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 06:16:20 PM »
This has been funded, which I'm pretty happy about :)