Author Topic: What Remains: Chapter 1  (Read 2203 times)

zig_113

• View Profile
    • Awards
What Remains: Chapter 1
« on: March 27, 2015, 05:01:53 AM »
Hello friends, Just sharing some info on a survival horror game i am currently working on over on Indiegogo.
What Remains: Chapter 1 is a multiplayer survival horror pc game that is set in an abandoned metropolitan city that was affected by an airborne virus that has mutated some of inhabitants into blood thirsty maniacs. The game will feature a player class system, large open world, scavenging/crafting system, and pvp combat among some of the features. Would appreciate any feedback and if you like the idea please support the project by spreading the word.

http://igg.me/at/wrgame/x/10243718

whatremainsgame.com

Thanks for your time,

-Zig

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: What Remains: Chapter 1
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 03:11:31 PM »
Welcome :D

So how are you planning on doing the scavenging/crafting side of things? Will it be fairly set crafting "recipes" for things, or something that allows more variation?  :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: What Remains: Chapter 1
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 04:31:09 PM »
Tough to get noticed with a game like that, loads of them about at the moment. Best of luck bud.

EDIT:You can't go two minutes on steam without seeing the words 'multiplayer survival horror'. What is it that makes your game unique and what makes it better than DayZ or L4D? Every one of these seemingly copy/pasted games has large open worlds and scavenging and crafting like it's something fun to grind instead of used as an actual means to survive.

And you've literally carbon copied L4D's super zombies.

How are people incentivised to play as either zombies or survivors? Survivors drop all their stuff when they die, correct? Why would an average player want to run the risk of spending time acquiring loot and materials only to get ganked?

How does this game handle pacing? It's a large open world and yet is a class based multiplayer experience? It seems to take the worst thing from Battlefield (taking ages to find any action) and then mash it with L4D zombies and borderlands classes.

EDIT2: Also your website for the game could do with the artwork only being visible at the sides of the page and not all the way through. Hope this feedback helps.

EDIT3: Half the features listed on your indiegogo page aren't features.

Open world: yes that's a feature.
Classes: barely a feature. Game wouldn't work without it.
Weapons: Not a feature, essential to the game.
Class tree system: Not a feature, without that there would be no difference in the classes and they'd be irrelevant.
1st and 3rd person switchable camera: barely a feature.
Cover based combat: Questionable how much use over is against zombies anyway but whatever.
Location based damage: just say: was made after 1990, it's all the same.
Inventory system: without that you wouldn't have scavenging. Not a feature.
Real time of day and weather systems: This is a brilliant feature.
Running on unreal 4 engine: Not a feature.

Other things you might call features which aren't: grass, buildings, rubble, zombies.

Edit4: It may seem like I'm being harsh but I'm not. My criticisms aren't unfair and without any kind of USP your game won't make it. Why does Project Zomboid work? It's nearly free. You're asking for a full retail price if I'm not mistaken?

Truly Unique classes that would work in a zombie horror survival game: Motivator, combats negative sanity/fear/whatever (mechanic to cause the survivors to get weaker the longer they go without rest/eating to get them to stay still to allow fun zombie ambushes) with jokes/cooking skills/magic tricks/whatever something fun ONLY on other team mates, gets his/her own sanity/courage as a percentage from their targets.

Analyst: Learns from the zombie types as the game progresses allowing allies to cause more damage/see them from further/whatever some group wide buff, this creates a shift in dynamic from zombies being more powerful than humans to a more level playing field over time. This person will want to stand over a zombie body examining it, good time for zombies to attack therefore creating a shift in dynamic.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:46:46 PM by Colossus »
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.