Author Topic: Forgotten Trail: A Video Game That Makes You Smarter by 7 Generation Games  (Read 6845 times)

7GenGames

• View Profile
    • 7 Generation Games
    • Awards
We just launched our second Kickstarter project and would LOVE your feedback! Check us out here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/7generationgames/forgotten-trail-a-video-game-that-makes-you-smarte/

Check out a short video of the gameplay here: https://youtu.be/5lZj1WGntH0

A little bit about 7 Generation Games:
We make video games that make you smarter. Forgotten Trail is an adventure game where your avatar re-traces the Ojibwe migration, when the tribe walked half-way across the continent. If you survive your journey through our virtual worlds, you will have learned social studies, science and real-life math, along with encountering some interesting characters.

After learning how their Ojibwe ancestors walked half-way across the continent, Angie and Sam decide it would be an adventure to follow in their footsteps. No one believes a couple of ordinary teenagers can make it a thousand miles. At each level, there is a new game – canoeing down river to meet an uncle who can help them, scavenging in the woods and avoiding the rabid skunks, making it through a maze set up by yet another crazy relative who has a map.

We fit in the cultural part through flashbacks. If they come across an artifact in the woods, say, a half-buried tomahawk, then a video will play telling the story of a famous chief who owned this tomahawk and what his life was like when he dropped it there.

Stretch goals will fund numerous side quests and Easter eggs (hidden jokes, mini games, videos, and more).

This is the third video game created by 7 Generation Games. Currently, we have users playing our games in 37 states and 7 countries. With the expansion of making this games available on PC, Mac, iPhone, and iPad, the possibilities are endless on how far this game will reach across the globe.

More info at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/7generationgames/forgotten-trail-a-video-game-that-makes-you-smarte/
We create games that make you smarter.

comrade_general

This is awesome! It's like Oregon Trail only a little closer to home for me, and I love Native American stuff. :)

7GenGames

• View Profile
    • 7 Generation Games
    • Awards
Thanks! The idea actually came from Oregon Trail, except for this game will be focused on the Ojibwe tribe and the trail they took with their migration across the great plains. We are releasing the first playable sneak peak of the game later today. We'll post a link to it on this thread as soon as it's available.

comrade_general

Cool I will definitely check it out! Will be neat to learn about the Ojibwe. I'm in Ohio so wrong side of the lake, but still looking forward to it. :)

Welcome to Exilian btw, feel free to take a look around. :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
As a Brit, the idea of rabid skunks is weirdly hilarious.  :P

And as CG said, welcome to the site!  :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

7GenGames

• View Profile
    • 7 Generation Games
    • Awards
Here is a sneak peak of the game with our first playable level: http://www.7generationgames.com/forgotten_trail_preview/

Check it out and let us what you think!

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Sounds pretty cool, being also british I know pretty much nothing about native american history. Or any american history actually. Sounds interesting though.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I've done some American history, but only really up to the War of Independence, so my knowledge of native Americans is very confined to the west coast - Iroquois, Catawba, etc etc. :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

Was a good playthrough, I tried hardest level until I gave up and went easy. :)
Is there going to be different music in the final version?

@Joob, you mean east coast. ;)

7GenGames

• View Profile
    • 7 Generation Games
    • Awards
We haven't decided yet on the music, which is one of the reasons we're trying to get as much feedback as possible. What do you think would be best for the music?

comrade_general

Well, definitely something inspired by the natives, but perhaps updated to be more modern. For me the soundtrack can play an important part in games like these and in this case I think it should be reminding my subconscious about what this quest is all about.

This is pretty much that:

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Yes, yes I do.

It's all west from here.  :P

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Hang on, does your Dr De Mars happen to be the same Dr De Mars who was the first american woman to win gold at the world judo championships?

7GenGames

• View Profile
    • 7 Generation Games
    • Awards
You go it! You can find out more about our CEO Dr. AnnMaria De Mars on wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AnnMaria_De_Mars or on our website at http://www.7generationgames.com/about/our-team/annmaria-de-mars/.

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Huh, thats pretty cool.
I found the canoe thing pretty hard, although thats pJubalably not helped by the fact I've only got one working eye at the moment.

@ Whoever did this, how many words have been changed to Jubal in the swear filter for april fools?