Author Topic: Making yogurt  (Read 3150 times)

Flamekebab

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Making yogurt
« on: April 17, 2015, 01:48:41 PM »
'allo all!

I've probably mentioned this before but it's been a while - does anyone else make their own yogurt?

During the colder months I don't bother as the missus prefers porridge or similar but now that it's at last relaxed a little (I can feel my toes!) it's time again. I must admit that we cheat somewhat - we use an EasiYo maker to do the job:

That is to say we use the pots and water bath. Sometimes the missus picks out a particularly novel starter pack but the rest of the time I culture it from a teaspoon of the last batch.

This took me a while to get right and for the moment I can actually recall how I did it. While I remember I might as well write it down!

1. I use about a litre of semi-skimmed milk (although I've succeeded using soy milk from UHT-style packs before) and put it in a plastic bowl of some description. It doesn't need to be in a bowl but it does help it cool and prevents it bubbling over (always a plus...).

2. Next step - into the microwave for, oh, say ten minutes? I generally feel it's done when it's been hot enough to form a little skin.

3. Onwards! Let it cool down to a reasonable temperature (I wish I had a thermometer but alas I do not). Luke warm should be fine - not hot.

4. A spoonful of a previous batch (or store bought) goes in. More doesn't seem to actually help, oddly, if anything it slows it down. Strange.
Into the water bath for the next, say, eight hours? It varies. Sometimes it needs longer, other times less.

5. The result should be a lump of curds floating in whey. Looks kinda gross. If not add some more hot water to the bath and leave it in a while longer.

Just a little bit longer:

If upon opening it smells fermented and horrible then I'm afraid something went wrong - perhaps the container wasn't clean enough, for example.

6. Strain off most of the whey. It can be handy for all sorts of things - look it up! I like to use it to cook rice in.

7. Give the rest a bit of a stir (or whisk) and you're good to go. Fruit, jam, or whatever else can be added at this stage.

With that lot written I'm going to see whether this first batch has gone well!

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Making yogurt
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 03:43:29 PM »
So many potential euphemisms