Author Topic: Affiliation consultation  (Read 3492 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Affiliation consultation
« on: July 14, 2015, 05:45:36 PM »
We urgently need to re-vamp and expand our affiliation system to help us give more support outside PC devs who the system was designed for. The con I think has shown that we have a lot of other people who we could support, and I think we need to get talking to people and get working on and improving that system rapidly, it's probably too designed for game devs and we need better ongoing support for tabletop related companies, writers, etc.

I'm starting two threads on this - one here and one in the plaza - so we can consult non-citizens as well as the citizens discussing exactly how any new bills on it will be worded.

Anyone with opinions, here are a few questions we need to think about:
  • Should there be any limits to who can affiliate?
  • What do people want out of affiliation that we can provide? How can we improve upon the current offerings?
  • What should we be putting down as affiliation requirements? Is the old "have a forum, post once a month in it" system workable?

Any help much appreciated :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 06:00:05 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Lizard

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Affiliation consultation
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 06:41:23 PM »
So I feel I should have something to say about this, being an affiliate and all, but I don't really know how to improve the current system D: I guess we could try and drive more people to it, so that anyone with some kind of creative merit/product can become an affiliate? And some kind of shout-out system, so that any major developments are announced to drive people towards the affiliates' work? If that's possible?

I don't know, I'll think about it :P
A coder, a hoodie, a coffee pot, a robot.

"A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »
I'm still thinking about this, not least because I haven't managed to look the current affiliation arrangements. I think the same system ought to apply well to a lot of creative activities.

Flamekebab

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 01:10:35 AM »
As is often my way I'm going to put myself out there and ask the silly question:

What is affiliation?

I've been in the community for quite some time and I haven't the first clue what half of this stuff is even now. I feel like we need an idiot's guide to these things so that I'm not left behind completely.

In the meantime I'm going to sit in the corner and lick audio cables.

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 01:11:28 PM »
What is affiliation?
It's our system for supporting commercial creative projects, initially intended for independent game developers. Affiliated organisations each get a subforum of their own for announcements and discussion; we promote them, and hopefully they promote us. The bill that set up the system hopefully explains more about how it's supposed to work.

In the meantime I'm going to sit in the corner and lick audio cables.
Um, OK. Do they taste better than video cables?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 09:42:29 PM »
What Glaurung said :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...