Author Topic: Sand Won't Save You This Time  (Read 3043 times)

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Sand Won't Save You This Time
« on: July 25, 2015, 09:14:38 PM »
We don't seem to get much posted about chemistry here, so I thought that, as a former chemist (at least up to degree level), I should do something about this. Fortunately, I've found someone who's already done the hard work, i.e. writing intelligently and wittily about things chemical, and all I have to do is provide the links :)

So, there's a chemist named Derek Lowe who publishes a blog, aptly named In The Pipeline. Chemistry as a subject is known for producing bangs and smells; the blog has an occasional series of articles under the heading of Things I Won't Work With, looking at a variety of highly explosive, smelly or otherwise noxious chemicals.

These are some of my favourite posts:
- Sand Won't Save You This Time (hence the title of this post) about chlorine trifluoride (ClF3), which reacts so vigorously that it will burn sand. There's a follow-up post with a YouTube video showing some reactions.
- dioxygen difluoride, another extremely vigorous reactant, memorably described in the post as "Satan's kimchi".

Edit: I've updated all the links - "In The Pipeline" switched hosts. The old host stayed up for while, but is now intermittently off-line.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:43:12 AM by Glaurung »