Author Topic: Hello from a traveling Polish Game and Web Dev :)  (Read 4812 times)

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
Hello from a traveling Polish Game and Web Dev :)
« on: September 03, 2015, 02:34:13 AM »
Hello folks!

Someone recommended this forums as a nice bunch of chaps so I figured I'd check it out. I see the forums are quite bustling :)

I am a Polish-American, freelance Video Game and Web Developer, occasionally working as a Cinematographer as well. I love traveling, having spent the past decade living all across the US, Poland, Japan, North Ireland, Scotland, India, Costa Rica, among others. Also, I really like biking.

So that's my little spiel! I have released my first indie game 2 years back and getting close to releasing the second, so I might post it in the indie dev forum at another time. Wanna get my bearings around here first.

Koob out!
Check out my upcoming Indie Game Karaski:What Goes Up... - You're one of five suspects of a sabotage onboard a 1920s Slavic Airship. Find the culprit or confess your crime in an open-ended, detective adventure game.

comrade_general

Re: Hello from a traveling Polish Game and Web Dev :)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 03:31:08 AM »
Hello there! How have you managed to live in so many places?? Isn't that hell with visas etc.?
I'm dating a Polish girl and we were just in Poland visiting her family last month.
Welcome to the E! :)

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 09:00:26 AM »
Welcome to Exilian! I think you'll find plenty of interesting things here - please feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 09:41:23 AM »
Welcome, lovely to meet you and I hope you stick around :) Do ask if you have any questions at any point about the site and how it works and so on!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 07:39:42 AM »
Thanks for the welcome :) This looks like a cool bunch but I am looking through the forums and seems like many are pretty quiet these days :/ Did I miss the haydays ?

Hello there! How have you managed to live in so many places?? Isn't that hell with visas etc.?

Honestly, most of it wasn't really on purpose. I came to US from Poland and moved to a few states because of my parent's work situation. Then my college made me do study abroad, and towards the end I got a scholarship for a school in North Ireland. Then my friend in India invited me to come and stay with him until I get bored and, hey, it was on the way back anyway so why not?

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 07:50:30 AM by Koobazaur »
Check out my upcoming Indie Game Karaski:What Goes Up... - You're one of five suspects of a sabotage onboard a 1920s Slavic Airship. Find the culprit or confess your crime in an open-ended, detective adventure game.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 10:10:13 AM »
We've definitely been through high and low patches - which always happens in a community that exists as long as we have, we're seven and a half years old or thereabouts now - and we're far from a high at the moment. I guess we used to rely on game modding for a great deal of our activity, and so we're going through something of a recession as those sections are drying up but we haven't built up so much of a community around our newer focusses on indie games, mythology, boardgames etc. So I'd say we're kinda in a transitional phase at the moment which is making life quite difficult for us; on the other hand the community is in many ways better equipped than it used to be when we were just a modding forum, given we now have our own financial resources and do a yearly convention and suchlike. Basically yes we're in a lull, but it's a transitional lull rather than a permanent slump (and you can help kick us out of it again!) :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 12:00:45 AM »
Jubal - ah that makes sense, the ebbs and flows! I've been part of some other online communities for a good 10 years now as well, so know what you mean. A lot of people also moved to Facebook, Twitter or reddit in lieu of traditional bulletin forums as their primary source of online community interaction I guess.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 12:11:37 AM by Koobazaur »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 12:06:25 AM »
Yeah; we've lasted a lot longer than some other much larger sites somehow, I think partly because we have a fairly solid core based around the site being democratically run and with quite a range of interests represented, so the old hands all have more investment in the place than is the case with some of the big old fan sites.

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 12:11:54 AM »
I would like to make a suggestion to help boost your community. Frankly, as a newcomer, I feel it's extremely fructured. There already are a lot of different boards, an then some have 5-10 sub-boards! But the real problem is that vast majority of them haven't seen any posts in months, if not longer.

I understand it might have made sense back in the day with a bustling community all across, but as it stands, it's just an extra communication barrier that is intimidating to new members. I'd highly suggest archiving all your sub-boards and just keeping the top-level boards. Heck, even merge those - out of the 6 top-level forums in "The Street of the Clerisy" there's only like 2 threads with any posts in the past week. I feel a single "Arts, History and Philosophy" forum would be sufficient for all the needs at the current participation level.

I know it's a huge thing to propose, especially from someone who doesn't know this community, but just thought I'd share my observation.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 12:17:30 AM »
Yeah, we've been slowly working on condensing a few bits over the last few months, and I think that's set to continue.

The idea of archiving more of the sub-boards is one I hadn't thought of, that's probably very much worth a look, thanks. I guess it depends on the area too - like in the old modding areas the sub-boards are quite necessary because each one holds a different mod, whereas I guess in, say, Total War discussion we should just archive them.