Author Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road  (Read 7544 times)

Flamekebab

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Mad Max: Fury Road
« on: September 23, 2015, 09:49:57 PM »
Perhaps this is the right place?

I would have thought I'd have liked the first three films in this series more but frankly they're only okay. I can't say I enjoyed the first one all that much but it might be worth revisiting. This latest one though. Wow.

I'd been looking forward to it but at best I thought it'd be a fun action film. Instead I found myself paying to see it in the cinema twice and then watching it repeatedly at home. I'm still utterly flabbergasted that such a film can exist in 2015.

Not since Waterworld have I seen a film commit so fully to attempting to realise a post apocalyptic world. Most people don't particularly like Waterworld, I know, but the sets and vehicles in that film were extremely impressive and the reason for its enormous budget (at least as far as I understand things).

The thing that might have been advertised but didn't reach me until after watching was the fact that the vast majority of the effects were practical. There was plenty of compositing to put it all together, certainly, and some things were indeed primarily computer generated, but it wasn't The Hobbit:

Instead it was this sort of thing.

For me the star of the film is the world it takes place in. My interest in the two protagonists is fairly minimal. Instead the amount we learn about the world and the society that exists through being shown and the occasional brief snippet of dialogue is remarkable. I've become so used to films hammering me over the head with exposition (which these days immediately brings this to mind) so to find a film that had a great deal of world building there to anyone interested in looking for it was remarkably refreshing.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Mad Max: Fury Road
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 10:03:13 PM »
Shifted to Music, Arts, and Drama

I should really see this film, I've heard it's great.

And yeah, the Hobbit really overdid the CGI, the Orcs in particular ended up looking far too smooth compared to their gritty LOTR counterparts.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 10:16:48 PM »
Hobbit sucked. Mad Max fookin rocked.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 10:29:01 PM »
I'm very impressed by the stunt stuff on Mad Max, from what I've seen of it. The actual tanker explosion must have been ridiculously impressive to film.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Flamekebab

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 01:55:32 AM »
And yeah, the Hobbit really overdid the CGI, the Orcs in particular ended up looking far too smooth compared to their gritty LOTR counterparts.
The Hobbit was just the most recent example that popped into my head. Sin City would be another example of "digital backlot" but I would expect the majority of stunts in many recent action films would rely extremely heavily on CGI.

I should really see this film, I've heard it's great.
It is great but I'm told that there's plenty of people that found it extremely dull. I would worry that it would miss the mark for you.

Shifted to Music, Arts, and Drama
I thought this subforum was for things being created  ???

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 10:56:08 AM »
Given how much I like post-apocalypse, cults, vehicular combat and Tom Hardy I was pretty surprised that Mad Max was bad.

A) The story was dumb as hell.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
B) There was barely any Tom Hardy.
C)Too much actual driving and not enough action.
D) The characters were so underdeveloped it's ridiculous. There's almost no backstory for anyone. Which is probably 90% of why I didn't like the movie.

The Hobbit movies were still worse though.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

comrade_general

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 01:32:30 PM »
I think you're being too hard on it. We don't want to know their name, we just want bang, bang, bang. ;)

Flamekebab

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 02:04:25 PM »
It really depends on whether you prefer backstory spelled out or implied.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 09:39:25 PM »
FK: I suspect there's another factor you haven't considered: I almost never watch films. As such, when I do I often get quite excited. Dredd for example really shouldn't be my kind of film, and if I was used to action movies it would've bored me stiff, but I watch so few action films that my rare doses of high-action and lots of explosions I actually get quite into :)

Also, M/A/D has traditionally been for both Exilian's own Music/Art/Drama and for discussion of that of others, it's a bit of a catch-all (and may become more so if we merge it with crafts!).

I'm mostly impressed with MM that it's been given endorsements by several people in my "I like explosions" friendship group and a lot of my social justice type friends, which practically never happens and is quite remarkable just for that.

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 12:05:28 PM »
Probably cg. I was excited for it and it turned out to be meh so I'm like to be overly critical.

@FK,
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 12:03:49 PM »
I liked it.

I don't care about plot holes.

Boom!

Bang!

Woosh!

It was/is a really awesome movie.

*runs away*
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Flamekebab

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 01:01:06 AM »
For anyone interested there's a really excellent set of videos covering the making of the film. There's about an hour and a half split over five videos: