Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 11529 times)

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Overwatch
« on: November 07, 2015, 01:29:25 PM »

Even if you have no interest in fps I'd say watch the trailer, it's literally pixar quality animation.

It's a new multi-player FPS from Blizzard. Anyone who watches any gamer on youtube will probably know what it is.

If you don't, simply put it's a multiplayer fps with extra mechanics in the form of character abilities which can range from teleport and revert time to landmines and rocket salvos. It's still a really easy to learn game due to the easy shooting mechanics and the clearly defined roles of which there are 4. Offensive characters are great at getting close and doing damage, defense are good at holding choke points, creating area of denial and long range attacks, the tanks are good at soaking damage in one way or another and the support focus on healing, shielding or armouring. Actually that was a longer explanation than I wanted.

A lot of people were expecting this game to be f2p with skins being the only paid for item. I was always a little skeptical of this, the game's been in development since 2011 I believe? I know it uses some of the things from the cancelled MMORPG Titan anyway. Anyway at Blizzcon they revealed it'd cost £45 or your region equivalent. Guild Wars 2 did the same and it's done well, originally TF2 was paid for (which the game is being compared with relentlessly). I don't have any fear that it'll kill Overwatch at all.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Overwatch
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 04:40:49 PM »

Monkey scientist creates gadget with the help of an AI. OMG baby monkey is portugaling adorable!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 04:50:37 PM by Clockwork »
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 11:17:35 PM »
Just watched both trailers. I did enjoy them, especially "recall" - the small kid in the first one got a bit vexing, as did the slightly cheesy catchphrase-spouting - but despite them being fun animations I felt they didn't hit me with any good unique selling points for the setting beyond being a pretty and well animated superhero-ish thing. Is there a lot more depth that I'm missing?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 01:57:33 PM »
It's a cheese-fest, though I think that's partly on purpose and partly because it's ingrained in Blizzard. The setting is that robots rose up and nearly destroyed humanity in omnic crisis. The Overwatch initiative was formed to combat this, which they succeded in doing. Afterwards the initiative was disbanded and the agents forbidden from forming another group, primarily if I understand it right, because they housed the best combatants, scientists and doctors on earth and secondly because they didn't have anyone to answer to.

The evil guy with two shotguns in both vids is hunting the former members of Overwatch for as of yet unknown reasons, the doomhammer doomfist (doomhammer is a weapon from warcraft, created by the same Chris Metzen) in the first one is a weapon that Overwatch members are trying to keep out of everyones hands (why it's in a museum in a glass case is anyones guess though) and the 2 trying to steal it are assassins working for an organisation called Talon I think.

There's a ton of lore that's placed all around the levels and through what the different characters say to each other during games. As well as on the website I mean. http://eu.battle.net/overwatch/en/

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 11:12:49 PM »
Read up the lore - yeah, seems pretty standard cheesefest stuff, not bad but not enough to get me to play an FPS!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 11:45:46 PM »
haha fair enough. If you change your mind though, this will be the one to start with I'd say ;)

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 07:14:34 PM »

People are weird. The characters in Overwatch are so damn diverse, they have old people, young people, thin, fat, bald, hirsute, psychopath, scientist, sexy, ugly, chinese, english, australian, german and people complain about a single pose. Once again, portugal gamers, they're ruining gaming.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 10:33:01 PM »
Eh, humanity is ruined by humans a lot of the time, it's a more general problem.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 11:04:54 PM »
Yeah but priorities mate ;)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 11:19:02 PM »
Hah, I guess. Sorry, having A Very Bad Day Indeed.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 09:27:21 PM »
Mooooar

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 06:03:51 PM »
Aw, she killed robo-Jesus (idk who that is but Robo-Jesus seems like the right approximation. Or at least like Robo-JFK, or at worst Robo-Nick Clegg :P )

I hope we get some of the other characters in the shorts, we've only had like four appear so far.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 09:50:37 PM »
Yeah I'd like to see more D.Va, Reinhardt and Lúcio.

More like robot Buddha I think, that particular political faction is all about harmony and oneness.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 10:35:51 AM »

New animated short! :)

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 05:21:28 PM »
Yeah I really liked this one :D

The Japanese shouted before unleashing the dragons means 'Dragon will consume you' from Hanzo and 'I have sacrificed my body, I will not sacrifice my soul' from Genji.