Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 11528 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Overwatch
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 11:18:42 PM »
Ah, nice :)

But yes, these are nice character backstory things. I wonder if things like this would actually be effective as ways to pre-promote backstory for lower-graphics games, or if the high quality animation is actually necessary.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 01:03:39 AM »
I wonder if things like this would actually be effective as ways to pre-promote backstory for lower-graphics games, or if the high quality animation is actually necessary.

EDIT: I'll do a TL:DR.

Well, one important thing to remember when asking if this will work for someone else is that Blizzard has an excellent reputation and a gigantic fanbase, like 20 million fans. At the start of the clip there is the Blizzard logo and I think that inspires confidence and hype in the viewer before the clip even really begins. Blizzard does pretty much everything they do to a really high standard, lately their stories have been armadillo but I digress; their animation is great but also they create memorable characters, setting and styles (although you could argue they create that one). To answer your question though: I think it would depend. If one were to make, say, an 8-bit version of that animated short I think it would work absolutely fine as long as it didn't have the Blizzard logo on.

TL:DR - Yeah.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 03:31:47 AM »
Well...This is weird but....Awesome? Maybe?

In a promo event for Overwatch on May 25th world class footballers and 4 youtubers play against Rufus Hound, Jamal Edwards, 2 members of the yogscast a gaming newsperson and a playstation community manager... Ummm. Okay.

They doing the same thing in Holland on the 30th.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 05:08:43 PM by Clockwork »
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 09:59:52 AM »
There is that, though outside the fanbase that matters less, I barely registered the logo and company when watching the shorts but still found them engaging (and would have been an incentive to get the game if it was something more towards my playstyle).

I'm not sure if that's great or just odd, it's certainly an interesting stunt. I guess for me I have relatively little engagement with those people so I wouldn't be massively hyped for it.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 05:07:37 PM »
Yeah it's an odd mix of people. Don't think I'll watch it anyway tbh.

Gmd

• The one and only
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Quack
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2016, 04:17:44 PM »
Played it pretty much all last week during the free beta. Really fun game espeically playing with my friends. Characters are all fun and very different. I would definitely buy it, but the price of £35 for a online only game with ONE gamemode is a cazy price to ask. Max i'd pay for it is about £20 so im hoping they change the pricing in the future so i can get it.
Bunneh and I Rule this land in the name of Supreme Lord Krishna.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") 

Give me my green name back!!! I am always Logothetes

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2016, 04:34:00 PM »
I hadn't realised there wasn't an offline mode. Is there no storyline campaign? Seems a bit of a waste not to create one after all the effort backstorying the characters...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 11:10:32 PM »
I find that an odd way of thinking Gmd, you get like 99% of the hours out of an FPS from the multiplayer compared with SP. Not having a single player just loses 1% of content.

There's also 3 game modes, payload, capture and king of the hill. Aside from that there's custom games and there's the challenge mode which changes weekly.

Aand, blizz don't really change prices £30 is what it'll cost for the forseeable future.

@Jub, Creating characters people want to play means that you have to create backstory. It's generally regarded as to why Battleborn and the like haven't done as well as Overwatch, the lore is paper thin. Also I feel like singleplayer story might come out as separate DLC somewhere along the line.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:16:41 PM by Clockwork »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2016, 11:33:08 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure it's necessary to have nice backstory regardless - just for me as a gamer I then want to be part of or get more of a viewpoint on that story I guess. But then I'm not exactly a natural FPS player. :P

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 12:02:55 AM »
And here we have what is sadly apparently the last short we're going to get (at least for now!)

"Hero", featuring Soldier: 76...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 01:02:48 AM »
I like that they play Lucio's music from their truck :D

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2016, 10:14:45 PM »
I've not really heard what people are saying about this now it's out... I did see an actual real-world flier for it lying in the street recently!

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2016, 11:58:12 PM »
Everyone loves it pretty much. The people leaving negative reviews on RT and Metacritic are salty about having to pay for a game and that it isn't TF2. Otherwise it gets almost universal praise. Average critic reviews are 92%. Not that I like review scores but there it is. Easy, fast and superficial metric.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2016, 06:33:05 PM »
Don't have the game still. But look, more pretty animations! :)