Author Topic: Dangerous plant pathogen hits olive trees  (Read 1299 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Dangerous plant pathogen hits olive trees
« on: November 16, 2015, 07:26:58 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34809894

The European Commission says it will provide seven million euros (£5m) to fund research into a disease that poses a "very serious threat" to olive trees.

The announcement was made at a scientific workshop in Brussels that focused on the most effective ways to tackle Xylella fastidiosa.

First recorded in southern Italy in 2013, the disease has since been detected in southern France.

Experts describe it as one of the "most dangerous plant pathogens worldwide".

The funding, which comes from the EU's Horizon 2020 programme, is part of the effort to tackle the agent before it spreads more widely to other key olive-producing regions within Europe.

Globally, the EU is the largest producer and consumer of olive oil. According to the European Commission, the 28-nation bloc produces 73% and consumes 66% of the the world's olive oil.

I have to admit I hadn't realised that Olive Oil was such a European thing, though I guess it makes sense. Major plant and animal epidemics are a massive issue that I think often slips under the radar though - a  major pandemic could in some cases wipe out or endanger multiple species pretty fast and not even make the main news bulletins...
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Dangerous plant pathogen hits olive trees
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 01:35:52 PM »
Well that's worrying.