Author Topic: "Uncleftish Beholding"  (Read 2109 times)

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
"Uncleftish Beholding"
« on: January 26, 2016, 11:34:20 PM »
I think this is fun (other with less of an interest in languages might disagree). It's a short essay on atomic theory, written by science fiction author Poul Anderson - the fun bit is that he has chosen a variant of English that reflects the word formation processes used by Old English, a thousand years ago. It's as if the Norman Conquest hadn't happened, and English had been allowed to evolve without the impact of French. In particular, words for new concepts are not borrowed from other languages, as we do, but instead are translated and rendered using compounds of existing words. So, for example, "atom", from Greek meaning "undivided" or "indivisible", is replaced with "uncleft", and the related adjective "atomic" becomes "uncleftish". As you might guess, almost every scientific word has to be translated in this way, as do quite a lot of others.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: "Uncleftish Beholding"
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 04:01:17 PM »
I'm not sure about "stuff" as the suffix for all the elements. Was a fun read though :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 04:36:06 PM »
I suspect that's influenced by German, which uses "stoff" as a suffix for a few of the elements discovered in the early days of modern chemistry - e.g. Wasserstoff = hydrogen, Kolhenstoff = carbon, Sauerstoff = oxygen. But where German mostly uses the -ium ending in the same way as modern English, Anderson presumably rejected it as borrowed (from Latin?) and substituted his own regular ending.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 01:03:57 PM »
Yes, I suppose it's that "stuff" in English conveys a strong sense of vagueness or variability about what the stuff is, which is the opposite of what's wanted here in many ways.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...