Author Topic: Yet another tedious gaming post by me. Thematic Mechanical Abstraction.  (Read 3798 times)

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Thematic mechanical abstraction!

I believe youtuber John 'TB' Bain coined the phrase. What it refers to is taking a set of mechanics and slapping a different theme over the top. For example take the assassins creed mechanics and slap LotR over the top and you get Shadows of Mordor.

If anyone has a great idea to slap different skins over existing game mechanics I'd love to hear it :D

I like the idea of Jedi Knight themed Arkham City, detective work, fluid combat more in line with the prequals than the originals.

Also DnD themed XCOM for obvious reasons. The Mordheim PC game still isn't good unfortunately.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
So basically "professional modding"? :p
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards

Yeeeah kinda :D

But having a studio and source code means you can do all kinds of crazy things modders can only dream of :P

Underworld themed Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun. Or Underworld themed Arkham City. Arkham city is such a great base to make these from.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I want a doctor who game with literally any decent mechanics in it whatsoever, because the mechanics in the adventure games are awful!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Dr Who themed Assassins Creed :D

RUNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!

comrade_general

WWII environment on the GTA V platform?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Dr Who themed Assassins Creed :D
Genuinely would be tempted to play :P

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Ha, I think actually Dr Who might suit the new style of narrative games like Firewatch or that horror one people love but isn't on PC....Until Dawn, that one.

Like a 3rd person ww2 game cg or like looting dudes while the war is going on?...Either could work probably.

comrade_general

Like city and countryside during the war. You're a soldier who can go freestyle or get missions like gta style.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Actually that sounds better than what I was thinking, especially if you take the point of view of a resistance Polish guy or something!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Yet another tedious gaming post by me. Thematic Mechanical Abstraction.
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 11:36:16 PM »
I'd even like to see Doctor Who done well on the Space Quest 1 engine. That would be lovely. The actual games just had one mechanic (a "sneak" type setting) and a couple minigames and that was it. Minimal interesting inventory stuff or puzzles. :/

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Fallout 4 in a firefly-esque spaceship doing space cowboy things.