Author Topic: Son of a Witch: Devlog and general discussion  (Read 218163 times)

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
Re: My Mom's a Witch: Castle Crashers meets Isaac
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2016, 09:20:40 AM »
There will be shops on each level, where you can buy various items like potions, bombs, scrolls, weapons, etc.

I plan to have a special potion shop that only sells potions and a pet shop that sells... well, pets.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2016, 06:47:32 PM »
Nice :) Though if that's the goblin shop, the pedestals do look a bit oddly neat compared to everything else the goblins make!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2016, 08:01:29 PM »
Nice :) Though if that's the goblin shop, the pedestals do look a bit oddly neat compared to everything else the goblins make!

Actually, it won't be a goblin shop, I just haven't got around to animate the shop keeper yet  :)

I got so many new elements, I guess it's time to build some variety of levels. Currently there are 15 different level layouts for the forest, but I plan to have at least 60 for the first alpha version:

I plan to have a playable demo by the end of May.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2016, 11:23:47 PM »
Ahh, right :)

And goodness, 60 sounds a fair number - how many rooms do you play through in the forest levels?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2016, 10:38:00 PM »
And goodness, 60 sounds a fair number - how many rooms do you play through in the forest levels?

Forest levels have 10-15 rooms, depending on the number of players and procedural generator. Four of those are fixed: Starting room, Boss room, Treasure room and Shop. Well, not completely: there will be about 20 types of treasure rooms (some with enemies, some with traps) and 3 types of Shops (potions shop, pet shop, weapon shop). This leaves us with about 6-11 "regular" rooms per level. Regular rooms will be selected from that pool of 60.

Pyromancies

It's time to play with fire. One of the playable characters will be a fire mage, so I decided to play with various fire effects. Wands can shoot fireballs which explode and enemies can players can be set on fire and lose a lot of health while burning:

Here's some animated action. The mage is still using the Snake Staff to fire fireballs, but there will be a special Fire Staff in the final game:

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2016, 11:11:38 PM »
Yay, the first rule of adventuring in action! :D

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2016, 02:42:02 PM »
Here's a cool combo. If you get both the Snake Staff (poison) and the Fireball Staff (fire), you can buff the Fireball Staff with poison to shoot poisonous fireballs:

Enemies that get hit will be set on fire and poisoned at the same time. Somehow the burning animation is missing here, I need to fix that.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2016, 06:30:50 PM »
Could you make that have a green fire anim? That would be doubly cool.

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2016, 07:34:30 PM »
Could you make that have a green fire anim? That would be doubly cool.

I think so. I'm already coloring the fireballs green, so it shouldn't be much trouble. Will try and see what it looks like.

In the meantime, I found another use for the fire animation:

Campfires are the first hazard in the game. If you step on it, you are set on fire for a couple of seconds, which is enough to deplete 80% of fully healed hero. At least, until you buff your hit points. The fire does not kill you ever, but it can lower your HP to just one point and then a single enemy hit will bring you down.

Enemies try to stay away from it, but with some skill you might be able to push them into fire by a well placed sweeping attack.

P.S. unlike this .gif, the animation doesn't skip frames in the real game ;)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2016, 11:58:51 PM »
That's neat :) looks the part too!

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2016, 09:53:12 PM »
Bombs

Bombs have three different purposes in the game: 1. blast the rocks to find some items hidden underneath and to open some blocked passages. 2. blast doors to escape tough battles or locked doors when you don't have a key. 3. blast your enemies. This 3rd use is hard to do because the enemies are constantly on the move, but it's great for bosses because most of them will be stunned for a couple of seconds if the bomb hits them.

Yeah, those exploding barrels are really in the game, but they have a special role. It's secret you will have to discover while playing.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2016, 10:02:38 PM »
Yay bombs :)

I feel like the explosions may have too sharply defined a shape, they seem to work by forming a specific shape and then vanishing from the inside to the same sharp edge rather than dissipating or being more smoky... I can't help feeling it makes them look a little bit clip-art-ish. The huge barrels look good though!

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2016, 10:19:53 PM »
Teleport spell

So many ways to escape when things go south: blast a door with a bomb, use a scroll to open doors, use a key if some of the doors is locked... but now there's one more. A magic scroll that teleports you to a random location somewhere else in the forest:

It never teleports you into a boss fight, but anything else is possible.You might even get into a locked treasure area without a key.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2016, 11:28:58 PM »
I implemented random teleport as a spell in my game Adventures of Soros, it's a lovely one to have :D

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2016, 05:46:16 PM »
During the adventure, you will be able to upgrade your weapons as well. The upgrade material are the runestones, magic stones of unknown origin that can be used to improve damage and range of your weapons. There are different runestones for melee, magic and ranged weapons.

The upgrade animation is still work in progress, but I'm getting there: