Author Topic: Son of a Witch: Devlog and general discussion  (Read 218283 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: My Mom's a Witch: Castle Crashers meets Isaac
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2016, 11:54:53 PM »
Lovely stuff, and a nice animation!

Will all the runestones be purely positive, or will you get "decrease damage increase range" type ones too?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2016, 10:14:47 AM »
Lovely stuff, and a nice animation!

Will all the runestones be purely positive, or will you get "decrease damage increase range" type ones too?

All runestones are positive and effect is the same every time you play (there is no randomness). Runestones won't be easy to obtain. You can only get them from bosses or gold chests. Which brings me to the latest addition to the game:

On every level there will be some areas that are behind locked doors or simply blocked paths. If you manage to find keys or blast your way through (or teleport across, or ...) you can get inside and loot all the chests. Well, maybe not all. Some chests are locked and you need a key to open those.

Here's the animation:

You might discover rings that give you special powers of the second sight. For example, the blue one allows you to see inside locked chests.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 06:52:31 PM by bigosaur »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2016, 12:39:59 AM »
Yay, magic rings! Those never go wrong in fantasy settings :P

Also, to let you know, decided to do a cross-side newspost for this month which featured this thread: http://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4517 :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2016, 09:18:44 PM »
Also, to let you know, decided to do a cross-side newspost for this month which featured this thread: http://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4517 :)

I just read it. That's great. Thanks.

I created a death animation for the player character. It does seem a little bit odd, but I kind of like it. What do you think, does this look cute, silly, or ...?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2016, 11:18:21 PM »
Two things look odd to me. Firstly the dust should maybe settle downwards rather than in a band. Secondly the eyes look odd somehow, I'd probably have them closed. Or maybe making the cartoon xs bigger might work? Not sure.

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2016, 09:51:48 PM »
Two things look odd to me. Firstly the dust should maybe settle downwards rather than in a band. Secondly the eyes look odd somehow, I'd probably have them closed. Or maybe making the cartoon xs bigger might work? Not sure.

I'll experiment more later. I guess when I add more stuff to the game I would see how it actually feels.

In the meantime, here's another environmental hazard:

I call them SpikeBalls. Does anyone know the real name?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2016, 12:17:14 AM »
Is it just a non explosive spiky hazard if you tread on it? If so it maybe counts as a sort of caltrop? Not sure.

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2016, 01:38:35 PM »
Is it just a non explosive spiky hazard if you tread on it? If so it maybe counts as a sort of caltrop? Not sure.

Yup, Caltrop. That's it.

Moving on, the character selection screen has some basic stats like Archery, Melee and Magic proficiency:

Those numbers are percentages. For example, if a Sword does 12 damage, a hero with 100 Melee will deal 12 damage when he hits, while a Hero with 50 Melee will only deal 6 damage. Those skill numbers can increase and decrease during game with various potions and artifacts.

The character on this screenshot has both Magic and Melee at 100 for testing purposes, but there won't be any such character in the game... Actually, one class (Paladin) will be close, but it will have something like 100/70/30 for Melee/Magic/Archery.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2016, 11:16:30 PM »
Looks good :D

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2016, 09:42:14 PM »
The goblin shaman's main weapon is the Meteor Staff. I'm testing how the meteors work:

Looks like I forgot to limit the meteor count ;)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2016, 11:15:57 PM »
Reminds me of when Comrade_General and I finally worked out how to hack meteor strikes into the Rome: Total War engine. We got quite trigger-happy with the things :P

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2016, 05:07:50 PM »
If you attack a shop keeper, you can snatch any item for free. However, he has a bodyguard:

There are various ways you can defeat him though, but it's often very risky:

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2016, 11:34:43 PM »
Hah, nice :) I've played other games with similarish systems - can you sell items to the merchants, assuming they're alive/friendly?

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2016, 10:51:42 AM »
Hah, nice :) I've played other games with similarish systems - can you sell items to the merchants, assuming they're alive/friendly?

Currently there are no plans for that. There are many items to pick up in the maze and inventory space is (deliberately) scarce, so being able to sell stuff would mean a lot of boring back-tracking.

I plan to have altars where you can sacrifice some specific items to get help from the gods. And shop keepers might sometimes give you quests. If you complete those, the shop will be upgraded on the next game level.

DeepCandle Games

• RPG author and big nerd
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2016, 01:34:51 PM »
graphics remind me of little fighter 2 + CC
I write many projects focused around RPGs and rules expansions!

If you'd like to support me you can buy (or download for free) my finished work from https://ko-fi.com/nanoteq_rpg or play-test them with me on my discord!