Author Topic: Son of a Witch: Devlog and general discussion  (Read 218204 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: My Mom's a Witch: Castle Crashers meets Isaac
« Reply #210 on: April 10, 2017, 04:54:48 PM »
Occasionally I can do it - for example, if there's an item like a relevant scroll it's often just possible to shoot an arrow then run down, grab the scroll and use it just before the bushido gets to you. But it's difficult!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: April 12, 2017, 08:09:53 AM »
Occasionally I can do it - for example, if there's an item like a relevant scroll it's often just possible to shoot an arrow then run down, grab the scroll and use it just before the bushido gets to you. But it's difficult!

My favorite tactics in such cases is to fill up the rage and grab a sword that has a dashing attack. Then I stand to the left of the shop keeper and do the dash attack to the right. As the shop keeper is hit, Bushido comes out to his right and gets hit by sweeping attack that knocks him down. Plenty of time to pick up and use the scroll before he gets up. This is especially easy if the scroll is on the right-most pedestal.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: April 13, 2017, 01:41:44 AM »
Bug report - I shot the King with a petrifying arrow recently and he didn't respond/the fight didn't start, might want to check that out.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 10:28:23 AM by bigosaur »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #213 on: April 13, 2017, 10:29:52 AM »
Bug confirmed. I have no idea why it happens as I have an explicit check to trigger if he gets petrified. Need to do some debugging. The fix will be in the next version.

BTW, I also found a bug that the game would sometimes generate a maze with backdoor into the king's room, so you can skip the boss fight on 3rd level. I'll fix that one as well.

P.S. I accidentally hit "modify" instead of "quote" and at first edited your post :( instead of creating a new reply. Sorry about that. Is there some way to revert it to the original?

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #214 on: April 13, 2017, 12:56:29 PM »
P.S. I accidentally hit "modify" instead of "quote" and at first edited your post :( instead of creating a new reply. Sorry about that. Is there some way to revert it to the original?
Not that I'm aware of, unfortunately - I don't think the forum software maintains an editing history for posts. If you find you've accidentally gone into "modify" in future, use your browser's Back button to exit without making changes.

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: April 13, 2017, 02:47:36 PM »
If you find you've accidentally gone into "modify" in future, use your browser's Back button to exit without making changes.

Of course. The problem was that I didn't realize that right away and thought it was some glitch that the "quote" markup wasn't there, so I added it around Jubal's text and replied ;) Only after I submitted and have seen his profile picture alongside "my" message did I figure out what happened.

I guess the missing "quote" markup will be a red flag the next time this happens to me.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: April 13, 2017, 03:02:22 PM »
I had an excellent gamble recently - gambled a pair of viole(n)t knights into an ogre mama and an ice dragon, which was good fun and complete mayhem :P

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: April 13, 2017, 04:50:35 PM »
I had an excellent gamble recently - gambled a pair of viole(n)t knights into an ogre mama and an ice dragon, which was good fun and complete mayhem :P

ROFL  ;D

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #218 on: April 13, 2017, 09:44:05 PM »

The Crystal Wizard is a new 3rd level boss. He starts showing up randomly in the castle after you have defeated the Executioner. He's similar to regular small enemies (i.e. you can stun him, freeze him, etc.) but he has a magic staff which he can use to shoot at you, the same way the playable magic characters shoot. He has +2 orbs and a mana canteen with practically unlimited mana, which allows him to use the staff's special ability at will.

His weapon is a Teleport Staff, which can be used to teleport to the opposite side of the screen. You can pick it up and use it yourself. Teleporting to the opposite side costs 2 mana, and you can also press the regular attack button to return to the position from which you teleported. This other action is free, but can only be done once. After that you would need to spend mana to teleport again. Some levels have hard to reach locations like walled off areas or parts across the chasm. These levels have a special preset teleport location, which is revealed if one of the players picks up the teleport staff at any point of the game. You can use the teleport staff to reach those places and return. That also includes the areas behind the shops in the forest, so now you can go there and break the barrel without needing two pets (bear+dog) to get the items. The teleport return point remains active even if you leave the room, but you have to be inside the room to teleport back to it.

The teleport staff can also be found in gold chests, shops and pedestals in the locked treasure rooms or blocked challenge rooms.

Beside the new boss and the new staff, there are other changes. I added a couple different texts for the signs in the forest shops. I fixed the bug when the guards wouldn't attack you if you petrified the king and sometimes the level generator would create a shop adjacent to the king's room, allowing you to skip the boss fight in the castle.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #219 on: April 14, 2017, 11:36:31 PM »
Looking forward to meeting the new boss & equipment, good stuff :D

And yes, I don't think I've *ever* had a bear and a dog on the forest level simultaneously: I may be grabbing more of those barrels in future!

EDIT: And then of course today's daily challenge *did* have a bear and dog on the forest, and I met my first crystal wizard! He didn't seem too tough a boss - though the fact I was a fast moving wizard & using a decent staff with spread-shot orbs helped, the lack of ability to deal real hard hits makes the CW a bit less vicious than most of the other bosses. It was an enjoyable fight though, I guess it felt like a good duel more than a big gribbly boss but I actually really liked that. I was surprised I got that far - I accidentally let a bomb off in the forest whilst fighting so I didn't get the main gold chest or get through the rock-door, plus I ended up getting 2 health-down potions early on. Fortunately, I found a replicator scroll and used it on a speed amulet, and got some magic splits on second level, so I wasn't at all tough but was dealing some good spread-shots and regularly using poison and just about managed to fight my way through third level (which was a tougher one than usual, there were like 4 or 5 rooms with just castle guards, I used bombs between rooms a couple of times to make my magic last longer and I probably had a bit of luck with some of the super high speed guards running into traps that I just missed). It was a good run though :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:52:45 AM by Jubal »

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #220 on: April 15, 2017, 10:46:12 AM »
the lack of ability to deal real hard hits makes the CW a bit less vicious than most of the other bosses.

Idk, he's the hardest 3rd level boss to me. I can beat him maybe 70% of the time, while I beat the others 90% of the time. If you're slow or lack some decent damage from the distance (arrows, magic, thrown weapons) he can be really hard as you need to dodge his orbs, guards and also try to hit him. But he's definitely different and requires different tactics, which I'm sure the players will appreciate.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #221 on: April 15, 2017, 10:41:22 PM »
Yeah, I may well change my mind when I try and tackle him with a melee fighter!

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #222 on: April 19, 2017, 03:34:35 PM »
Hey, I watched a recording of your Twitch stream. It was pretty cool.  :D

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #223 on: April 20, 2017, 12:54:21 AM »
Thankyou! I was annoyed that it ended with me getting piled on rather than getting to a third level boss, but learning to talk whilst playing the faster battles is really really hard...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #224 on: April 24, 2017, 10:44:11 PM »
I see you had over 34000 points in yesterday's daily challenge. Was it something special?