Author Topic: Workshop Booze Up VII - New Year, Same Plague, Same Booze Up, Deja Vu  (Read 150670 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Workshop Booze Up VII - New Year, Same Plague, Same Booze Up, Deja Vu
« Reply #600 on: June 15, 2022, 09:39:39 AM »
Yes - the Lib Dems have always had a Georgist streak, so it's a philosophy I'm moderately familiar with.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #601 on: July 01, 2022, 11:01:38 AM »
The newsletter may be a few days delayed - am in the UK in advance of a big medieval conference, so I'm stressing about conference prep and also covid and it's all quite a lot right now.

Hope everyone is doing well!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #602 on: July 04, 2022, 05:30:02 PM »
O deer. Do you have the covid or just stressing about the possibility of having the covid?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #603 on: July 05, 2022, 10:28:14 AM »
I am just stressing about the possibility - tested negative again this morning so I'm OK so far. It's just that it's spreading super super fast, and I don't want to have to rework all my travel plans and other such stressful things which would obviously have to happen if I did get it, so it's sort of the secondary anxieties of "don't want to let people down" and "don't want to deal with travel stress" as much as the more direct "don't want to get ill" (though that's still a thing too!). It's made more complex when I'm in the UK because I don't really have an obvious base to isolate in here any more, I couldn't stay with parents while having Covid given the risk to my Pa.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #604 on: July 05, 2022, 11:39:33 AM »
Sorry to hear that James, had a similar situation here.
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #605 on: July 08, 2022, 06:31:13 PM »
Eye sea eye sea, it definitely does add to travel stress. Hope it all goes smoothly. How are your folks doing?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #606 on: July 10, 2022, 09:11:54 AM »
Parents are okay, thanks :) I stayed with them for a bit before the conference and we went to listen to nightjars (which are cool and very weird) and had a day at the seaside with some nice birbs and suchlike. My sister just had Covid recently which was pretty rough, but she seems to be better now.

I'm now back in Vienna after a reasonably successful conference - I did a talk, a storytelling performance of the medieval Georgian epic The Knight In Panther Skin, helped run the Medieval Caucasus Network reception, and ran the conference storytelling circle. Also saw some people for the first time in ages/met some people I've only known online (incl. Eadgifu the Fair, of this parish, and a couple of the folks who come to Coding Medieval Worlds events).

Unfortunately some of those people now have Covid so I'm curled up at home nervously waiting to see if I'm going to get symptoms developing...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #607 on: September 01, 2022, 11:13:54 PM »
Well, I didn't get Covid after that conference. A lot of the intervening time has been quite high stress though, I'm currently in the joys of the Austrian unemployment system and firmly concluding that I should just have taken the financial hit of not having the unemployment money pittance paid to me, given that the amount of time they're mandating me to spend jumping through hoops vs what they're paying me is an absurd ratio and the stress is really messing me up.

There are some hopeful signals re me finding a job, but I probably can't post more on that until it's been properly signed off, not wanting to count chickens etc...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #608 on: September 02, 2022, 01:20:23 PM »
Fingers crossed.
On the topic of chicken counting, my mother has finally admitted that having an adult non-neutered cockerel with her handful of hens may be a bad idea now we have 22 new chicks (plus 2 dead ones and 5 young chickens from an earlier hatching). 

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #609 on: September 02, 2022, 05:24:56 PM »
That is a delightfully Norfolk problem to have :)

How're folks doing generally?

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #610 on: September 03, 2022, 12:04:24 PM »
Folks are generally ok. Dog is very curious about the one chick we have had to bring inside a couple of times to warm up and look after in the mornings.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #611 on: September 04, 2022, 09:13:13 PM »
Awh. :)

I think I'm going to email in sick for tomorrow's AMS-course session. My throat's swollen from the constant muscle tension so a three hour speaking class feels like it might be even more hell than usual.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #612 on: October 01, 2022, 11:50:32 PM »
I went to comicon today. An error, in retrospect, I'm shattered and it was too noisy and I got little from the experience, though it was nice to see the people I went with.

Things otherwise are smoothing out: new job starting in two weeks, plans for finishing PhD are going okay, and so on. I'm still pretty wiped out (ended up off ill for a fortnight after making the above post) but I'm glad of the increased stability.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #613 on: December 25, 2022, 09:30:19 PM »
And a happy Christmas to those who celebrate! :)

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #614 on: January 23, 2023, 12:27:29 PM »
Hello! How's everyone doing? :D

Things have been hectic here for the past year.
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."