Author Topic: Skyships "Full Power To Engines!"  (Read 1931 times)

stormwell

• View Profile
    • Utherwald Press
    • Awards
Skyships "Full Power To Engines!"
« on: April 13, 2016, 08:41:20 PM »
A follow-on from last week's post, prompted by a comment made by Perry Chalmers (thanks for the idea). Effectively settled upon an engine design and means of propulsion, one that ties into the Weird Science angle of the setting and makes use of the so-called 'glimmer rock'. At the same time it also rather beautifully ties into the method to make the skyships actually fly through the air.

But before we delve into all that I just wish to announce that on the Patreon page I'll be making a Patrons-only post within the next couple of weeks. The link to the Patreon page can be found in the links on the right hand side of the blog and just $1 will grant access to the Patron only posts made there.

Below (or via link below) is the meat of this week's post.

http://www.utherwaldpress.com/2016/04/skyships-full-power-to-engines.html

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Skyships "Full Power To Engines!"
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 11:59:56 PM »
Ooh nice - the idea of flight rocks (even if of a very different sort mechanically) brings back fond memories of the Edge Chronicles :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

stormwell

• View Profile
    • Utherwald Press
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 10:38:28 AM »
Only recently heard of the Edge Chronicles and even then only in passing, so I don't really know anything about it.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 02:41:32 PM »
It's a fun if rather bizarre fantasy setting, basically set on a sort of peninsula that juts out into empty space, with a large city near the tip, then a really big old swamp, and then deep forests that make up most of it. In the older parts of the setting, (the "first age of flight"), there are lighter-than-air "flight rocks" (IIRC they get heated to make them light enough to make the ship buoyant) which then have what are basically old fashioned sailing ships built around them, carrying knights or pirates or traders out to the Deepwoods to get various raw materials etc.

This sort of thing (with the flight rock taking up most of the central globe):

So totally different in theme and in how the rocks work to what you're doing, but the importance/centrality of flight rocks was what reminded me :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...