Author Topic: Rings of Power  (Read 5684 times)

Tar-Palantir

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Rings of Power
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2022, 03:00:29 PM »
I generally agree. The show ended up being solidly OK, which is realistically the best it was ever likely to be. Celebrimbor was a bit dim, though, and the forging of the Three felt rather too rushed, I thought. I did enjoy the last episode considerably more than most of its predecessors, however.
Definitely not Ar-PharazĂ´n.

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2022, 09:02:05 PM »
I don't think I mentioned it before, but something that really bugged me was the repeated dialogue references to PJs films. I think it bothered me because it basically just kept drawing attention to an adaptation that was a) much more entertaining, and b) closer to the actual lore.
I mean Galadriel is kind of annoying but overall fine as long as you forget she's meant to be Galadriel, if you remember then her turning down the offer to rule alongside Suaron kind of mocks her turning down the ring in the Fellowship (admittedly ruling "alongside" is different to ruling with the power of the ring).

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2022, 04:34:37 PM »
Yeah, I think it could've veered away more from the Jackson stuff. Though I didn't honestly mind the turning down Sauron's offer scene, it worked for me as a Galadriel moment rather better than a lot of the stuff she was trying to pull in Numenor earlier in the season.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2022, 05:01:46 PM »
Bret Deveraux has done a pretty brutal (though not altogether unfair) takedown of some of the world building problems:

https://acoup.blog/2022/12/16/collections-why-rings-of-powers-middle-earth-feels-flat/
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2023, 08:57:19 PM »
Haven't managed to read the whole post yet but yes, yes indeed.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2023, 11:51:41 PM »
I tend to find BD's takes mostly good. Sometimes pedantic but that is kind of his whole thing and very much literally in the title.