Author Topic: What video games are you playing?  (Read 25948 times)

comrade_general

Re: What video games are you playing?
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2016, 03:02:47 AM »
Once I get my free time back in order I'll continue playing through some classic Nintendo (primarily snes) games because fortunately I was born in the 80's. ;)

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2016, 09:21:56 PM »
Been playing Insurgency lately. It's my go to game whenever I can't figure out what I want to play. I now have 450+ hours I think.
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2016, 01:05:19 AM »
Gross. That and CSGO are like my nightmare games :P
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Splashy

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2016, 04:27:29 AM »
I play Garry's Mod far, far, far, far, far too much

I am staff on a roleplay server

Insurgency & CS:GO are pretty good too, although I'm absolutely armadillo at both of them.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2016, 10:58:03 AM »
I mostly just know Garry's Mod from weird YouTube videos. What's it like as an actual game?

I'm mostly playtesting my own stuff at the moment, and playing endless runs of My Mom's a Witch and Hexxagon as procrastination on sorting my life out.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Splashy

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2016, 07:26:03 AM »
I mostly just know Garry's Mod from weird YouTube videos. What's it like as an actual game?
It's very dependent on modders to have a replayable experience. The basic mechanics used in sandbox, with no modification are basic FPS movement, very basic gunplay, entity ("props) creation, ragdoll manipulation, and basic NPCs.
Modifications are the main idea of the game, and they're relatively easy to create as the scripting language used is gLua, a very slightly modified version of Lua. There's a ridiculous variety of gamemodes, but the most popular are;
Various types of roleplay - Dark (basically cops and robbers with the occasional homeless person), military, star wars... harambe
Trouble in Terroist Town - Very similiar to mafia, albeit with more action based gameplay.
Murder - Simplified version of mafia, albeit again with more action based gameplay.
Prop Hunt - Hide and Seek where you disguise yourself as an object before hiding

Unfortunately the commnity is generally awful tweens and teens, but the few good people have kept me coming back for so far about 700 hours.

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2016, 03:14:24 PM »
At the moment? Nothing. I wish I had the time to play games at the moment.

The last thing I really played was Divide and Conquer, a very good submod for Third Age TW.

And holy crap is it good. :p

A pity it is incompatible with hotseat mode. I'd love to try and do one. Yes, I know I killed the last one. I'm sorry. :(
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2016, 11:18:44 PM »
What sort of RP server do you staff? :)

And yes, PG, we should get a new hotseat going of some game or other. And we should do more twitch-streaming multiplayer stuff too.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2016, 04:06:48 AM »

Picked up LEGEND OF HEROES: TRAILS IN THE SKY from GOG and so far, disappointed.

I'm some ~5 hours in and finding the game really boring. There is no arch or story as of yet, the protagonists are new Guild recruits just running around completing quests to earn higher rank. And even those are just mediocre RPG fair - rescue kids lost in a tower, exterminate monsters on a farm, deliver  a package from a mine (which invariably gets swarmed with monsters). There's hints of something looming on horizon and character past, but nothing to drive the story forward.

The writing/dialogue also falls into the overly long and cutesy JRPG fare, so I see myself quickly skipping through chunks of it.

Shame, since the art is really nice and Orb/Quarts character customization and battle mechanics seem to have potential later on. Although right now the battles are tedious, fighting similar generic monsters that are just tad too difficult (having to use rest stops or healing items after nearly every battle).

Lastly, the game is buggy - sometimes the item descriptions will not show up, and the game launches with no audio at random times until you restart.

I will give it a bit more time (I am completing the last guild quest now so hopefully SOMETHING happens after), but so far not too impressed.
Check out my upcoming Indie Game Karaski:What Goes Up... - You're one of five suspects of a sabotage onboard a 1920s Slavic Airship. Find the culprit or confess your crime in an open-ended, detective adventure game.

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2016, 05:39:31 AM »

And now, jumping back into this after getting full version in the sales:

Episode 2 now. Still don't care for the emo teenage drama but enjoying the game as a whole. Very well crafted and directed, with great attention to detail.
Check out my upcoming Indie Game Karaski:What Goes Up... - You're one of five suspects of a sabotage onboard a 1920s Slavic Airship. Find the culprit or confess your crime in an open-ended, detective adventure game.

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2016, 08:57:11 PM »
Whoa, just wrapped Episdoe 2 of Life is Strange and it genuinely made me feel... guilty.

Earlier in the day I was hanging out with a friend and got a call from another I chose to ignore. Later on something really, really badâ„¢ happened to the one I ignored and I just couldn't shake off the feeling that... armadillo, I shouldn't have ignored the call. I kept double guessing myself, wondering if I could have prevented it. Or at least could have been there for the friend.

I was flabbergasted I felt as bad as I would in real life if I let my friend down. It stayed on my mind for a while too. Few games manage to do that. Big applause for LiS...

For those who played:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But one thing that kind of spoiled it was the end-of-chapter stats that show you your choices compared to others. As it turns out,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This kind of cheapened the effect - the ambiguity was gone. It would've remained a stronger impact had I been left wondering.

EDIT: I fixed the spoiler tags - I assumed they were meant to be real ones (tag text 'spoiler', not 'spoil'). If that's not what you wanted, I'm sorry - let me know and I'll put it back the way it was.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 09:18:23 PM by Glaurung »

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2016, 01:55:33 PM »
KotOR and KotOR2 have to be two of the best RPGs of all time, easily the best two star wars games of all time.

Started them both again, simultaneously for some reason, with the restored content mods for both.

As well as that I'm playing through the Heroes of Might and Magic series starting with III and for whatever reason I'm finding it a much harder and at times unfair (or at least unforgiving) game than I remember. Still hugely enjoyable though.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

comrade_general

« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2016, 02:52:37 PM »
Meatbag.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2016, 10:25:04 PM »
Very little playing, but some playtesting going on at the moment - work on LIFE is continuing :)

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2016, 03:12:33 AM »

Just got to Episode 4 of Life is Strange and god, this game can REALLY hit up some emotions. I was reluctant after Ep1 teenage emo stuff, but it manages to far excel it. Definitely gonna be one of my favorites, and probably the best narrative game I've played (next to Walking Dead 1). The whole exploration of house in alt-Chloe was just so perfectly depressing... it reminded me of my own bike accident a year ago and all throughout made me think "portugal... this could've been me." It kind of brought that thought home how lucky I really got.

Not to mention just how beautiful the whole game is. Cinematography is top nothch.