Author Topic: Ancient Nabataea  (Read 7158 times)

Quinn_Inuit

• Not a real eskimo
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Ancient Nabataea
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 01:57:29 AM »
I can't figure out how.  I just did some in-game testing (with the help of the move_character command) and the only terrain that seemed to have a movement effect was "swamp."
--
My writing-related Twitter feed.

The Extended Realism Mod  for Rome-Total War:  come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions.  Or vice versa.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 08:02:36 AM »
Hmm I wonder if its hard coded.. I think it's worth looking into though for sure, because I'd like to make factions and cultures as unique as the game allows us to.
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

DCLXVIMRTRVEBLAKKOKKVLTDCLXVI

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 03:07:53 PM »
You can limit or boost some factions movement in certain regions using traits, I'm currently working on a movement system that depends on climate, enemy/friendly territory, supplies/logistics and seasons, I could add culture/faction type (to give some factions penalties or bonuses in some or all seasons in some climates) as a 5th factor :) Well actually EB1 has such a (basic) system for steppe factions, but I can make a more dynamic and complex one.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 03:10:27 PM »
That sounds perfect :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 04:08:28 PM »
Yeah that's great! Desert, Steppe, Mountains, Swamp, Forest, and Winter seem like the main areas for strengths and weaknesses
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2016, 08:24:28 AM »
I will try to get back into contact with Aretas to see if he can provide more info!

Aretas

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 10:05:10 PM »
I am back from a speaking trip to New Zealand and Australia.  As I don't know the game you are working on, I am unsure what information you are looking for.  The Nabataean uniqueness was what helped them against the established powers of their day.  Their empire was different. Check out nabataea.net for some ideas of city names etc.  They also had a presence on the seas, but I don't know if your game includes sea units.  One of my sons who has had some experience with balancing games mentioned to me that it was purely a military game.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2016, 11:55:11 PM »
Welcome back :)

RTW is not purely a military game - to explain the "engine", essentially the game is formed of two parts - a strategic map on which the player can move armies around (on both land and sea, navies are included) and manage cities and provinces (with one set city in each province). It's this part that makes the Nabateans perhaps more difficult to represent accurately, as the provincial borders are static and each province *has* to have one main settlement which is set at the start of the game. Gameplay on the strategic map is done in turns. There is also a zoomed-in mode for fighting battles which are done in real time. Hope that helps a little!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2016, 06:12:21 PM »
Also, Aretas in the campaign there are buildings that can give happiness and trade bonuses as well as population growth bonuses. Also, there are characters - Generals/Family Members which are part of a family tree, and then Spies, Diplomats, assassins, and admirals.
Any characters can have traits, and ancillaries. So there are many unique things that we can do to represent the nabataeans, outside of the battlefield! :)