Author Topic: Ancient Kush  (Read 9641 times)

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Ancient Kush
« on: July 05, 2016, 08:27:02 PM »
Here is the thread on Ancient Kush.

Military
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Culture

Resources
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 10:31:17 AM by ahowl11 »
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Gabrielkouda

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Ancient Kush
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 03:48:39 PM »
Hello, I am Gabrielkouda aka Swagganaut aka LinusLinothorax and I will take care of Kush in this mod.
Here the roster:

- Kushitic Slingers (Low end unit with slings)
- Kushitic Infantry (Solid light infantry with large hide shields, spears and short swords, eventually also helmets)
- Kushitic Archers (Unit equipped with recurved bows, armdaggers and eventually round shields)
- Kushitic Longbowmen (Elite unit equipped longbows and short swords)
- Kushitic Horsemen (Lightly armed cavalry with spears, small round shields and swords)
- Kushitic Guard Cavalry (Elite cavalry with spears, shields, swords and helmets)
- "Tribal" (?) (Stone age unit equipped either with bows, maces or spears. Still have to decide that)

Here a map of Nubian sites:

I marked Meroe aswell as the cities which should be represented as forts. The line in the top of the pic depicts the northern border in 272 BC.
This map also gives a good idea about the diverse arms of the Nile. Concerning the climate: Everything below the Atbara, so the river which sandwiches Meroe between the Nile, is arid savannah. Would look roughly like this, just with more trees:

The further south you go the more humid the savannah becomes, especially south of Khartoum.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 04:52:19 PM »
Cool, good work. What does Kushitic mean? So far our main cities are Meroe and Axum. I see Meroe, but not Axum. Any ideas or suggestions for it?
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 05:06:15 PM »
Pahaha, I can explain that one.

The word he actually wrote is k u s h i t i c

But the middle part of that, on account of it forming a swear word, is being hit with the forum's word filter which changes it to the word "armadillo". I'll see if I can get that fixed somehow.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 05:20:39 PM »
Haha wow and here I was thinking it was some cool cultural term!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 05:26:59 PM »
Fixed, anyway :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Gabrielkouda

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 11:45:17 AM »
So far our main cities are Meroe and Axum. I see Meroe, but not Axum. Any ideas or suggestions for it?
My honest suggestion would be to delete Aksum and replace it with Napata (Nuri in the map). Aksum is first tangible only in the first century AD, while in the Hellenistic period there was probably only a settlement on the Bety Giyorgis, one of the mountains flanking later Aksum. Meanwhile, Napata was the religious capital of the Kushitic kingdom.
If you do so I would make what is modern Ethiopia "Eremos", if you have such a thing. If not I would still replace Aksum with Yeha, which was very likely the capital of the kingdom of D'mt (First half of the first millenium BC). In the third century it was in a sharp decline, but alteast we know that it existed at all at this point.

PS: Do you have Ptolemais Theron as a city?

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 04:44:52 PM »
Yeha seems interesting, was that kingdom also Kushititc? We could do Napata but I'm interested in Yeha. Where is it on the map?
If you're talking about the port then no we don't, I'm definitely adding it as a fort though as forts will be minor settlements in our mod.

Gabrielkouda

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 01:53:19 AM »
Yeha seems interesting, was that kingdom also Kushititc?
No, it was Ethio-Semitic. It was probably founded either by Sabaen migrants or by Sabaenized Ethiopians.

We could do Napata but I'm interested in Yeha. Where is it on the map?
Very close to Aksum: https://www.google.de/maps/place/Yeha,+%C3%84thiopien/@12.7241215,36.8353817,6z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x166c7362c503d3ef:0x8148571bf0757f23!8m2!3d14.2861727!4d39.0163556

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 05:38:51 AM »
Wonderful, once you get a hold of the mod and can see the map, you can give us the coordinates of where it should be. Also would this sub faction have any unique units? And it'd be called D'mt?

Gabrielkouda

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 02:21:56 PM »
Also would this sub faction have any unique units? And it'd be called D'mt?
We know absolutly nothing about the political situation of Hellenistic Ethiopia, just that there probably wasn't any bigger kingdom. Pretty much the main reason why I suggested to shift the region to Napata instead and make Ethiopia itself Eremos, if there is such a thing in RTR.

Edit:
PS: Do you have Ptolemais Theron as a city?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 03:07:58 PM by Gabrielkouda »

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 06:24:02 PM »
We don't have it as a city, but plan to add it as a permanent fort. Alright if Napata is better, then we will have to do that.

Gabrielkouda

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 11:35:50 PM »
Alright if Napata is better, then we will have to do that.
And what will happen to Ethiopia? Will it be integrated into an other province or will it become "Eremos"?

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 11:44:05 PM »
We can either add it on to the region that meroe is in or the desert Sahara region which is where Garama is.

Gabrielkouda

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 01:09:50 AM »
Better make it part of the Sahara then, because Kush owning Ethiopia would be pretty ahistorical.