Author Topic: Ancient Kush  (Read 9634 times)

Gabrielkouda

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Ancient Kush
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 07:38:04 PM »
Here a collection of Meroitic swords (Open in new tab because very high resolution):
http://i.imgur.com/T6AESHx.jpg

Meroitic quivers, made of rawhide:

http://i.imgur.com/gQ9UN45.jpg

Fragmentary archers braces:

Reconstruction of such an archers brace:

Leather shield:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 11:25:08 AM by Jubal »

Gabrielkouda

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 10:42:40 AM »
Meroites would also use helmets. In particular we know about the so-called "Glockenhelm", which was a variation of the Boeotian helmet and probably appeared first during the late 3rd century BC:

Pliny reports how the "Aethiopians" would decorate their helmets with ostrich feathers. I would suggest to make two versions: One with and one without feather. The one with feather can be used for the Kushitic Guard Cavalry, while the undecorated one can be used for the Kushitc Infantry.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2016, 08:26:19 AM »
Thanks for all of the information, I updated the OP. What other major centers south of Thebes could we add as minor settlements? Also in the OP there are a few more bold headings. Could you help us out with those as well?
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2016, 11:26:01 AM »
To help keep the forum looking OK, I've shrunk a couple of the images and provided direct clickable links to the larger originals in the post above - JB
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Gabrielkouda

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 06:01:12 PM »
Thanks for all of the information, I updated the OP. What other major centers south of Thebes could we add as minor settlements? Also in the OP there are a few more bold headings. Could you help us out with those as well?
Minor settlements (Check the map in post #2): Assuan, Pselchis (Modern Dakka) and Faras.

Concerning the climate I already wrote something in post #2. Its really mostly desert until the Atbara river, from there it gets more an more fertile the further South you move. Around Meroe it's semi-arid steppe with elephants, lions etc.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 08:27:55 AM »
Where would Ptolemaic Theron go? Was there a big ivory trade in the area? Also, do you know anything about the blemmyes tribes?
Also a few mods depict Ethiopian hoplites as if some peoples were hellenized. Any truth to that?
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Gabrielkouda

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 07:18:01 PM »
Where would Ptolemaic Theron go?
Somewhere on the coast in the South of modern Sudan / North of modern Eritrea.

Was there a big ivory trade in the area?
Meroe was responsible for exporting ivory from the Butana and further South. In Ptolemais Theron there might have been some ivory trade aswell, but in that area they needed the elephants to stay alive. Only source for ivory would have been rhino horns.

Also, do you know anything about the blemmyes tribes?
Blemmyes were not really relevant during this timeframe. Why? Do you want a Blemmye unit?

Also a few mods depict Ethiopian hoplites as if some peoples were hellenized. Any truth to that?
Very likely fantasy. Ptolemais Theorn for example would have consisted of Greeks and Egyptians. The local Africans were mostly nomads and its highly unlikely that they were Hellenized in such a degree that they would start to fight as hoplites. I would suggest ordinary Greek units instead.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2016, 08:29:59 AM »
Thank you for the answers, yes if the Blemmyes were at all relevant, a unit couldn't hurt but if they weren't best to save room for something more important.

Gabrielkouda

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2016, 05:49:46 PM »
I have made a graphic with all types of shields occuring in Meroe:

The dominant material for shields was tanned hide. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 11:40:37 PM by Jubal »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 11:52:43 PM »
Shrunk the image to fit the forum better, with a link to the original added. - JB
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2016, 07:54:40 AM »
That's great research! We're you able to get the mod installed?

Gabrielkouda

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2016, 05:39:25 PM »
No sorry, I barely play Rome anymore.

Made a new sketch

Orientate on this for the Kushitic Infantry. Of course there can also be variations, like giving him a helmet or atleast a headband made of bronze. Or a long-sleeved tunic.

Edit: Can I resize images myself?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 07:33:16 PM by Gabrielkouda »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2016, 06:49:51 PM »
You can if you're using the BBcode-based post editor (there's a toggle button on the posts, and you can also change it permanently in your user settings somewhere.

The images have a width attribute, the code goes like this:
Code: [Select]
[img width=900]URL goes here[/img]
The width is in pixels; 800-900 is usually fine.

Gabrielkouda

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2016, 07:33:41 PM »
Thanks, done.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2016, 10:31:58 AM »
Updated OP