Author Topic: Blinxed - 2D Action Platformer  (Read 10690 times)

ndnninja15

• View Profile
    • Awards
Blinxed - 2D Action Platformer
« on: September 15, 2016, 12:28:19 AM »
Hey guys I'm working on a 2D platformer and am targeting Android though I'm sure I'll release it to PC as well. Though for now I've been developing with Android in mind and have been testing the game on my phone as opposed to my laptop.

Here's a snapshot of the game and a little video of me just testing it out.

I have the current build hosted on my site if you want to download it to your phone but I tested it on someone elses phone and have noticed an issue with the sizing. I have yet to get around to it since I'm still working on the mechanics however it still should run and be somewhat playable.

Would love any and all comments/criticisms. Say anything you like, my feelings won't be hurt.

I'll be sure to keep posting updates as I make them.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 01:52:19 AM by ndnninja15 »

DeepCandle Games

• RPG author and big nerd
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
Re: 2D Platformer (Still needs a name)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 09:21:18 AM »
Is there a basic plot/setting? So far all I have for names is Block-buster  :P
I write many projects focused around RPGs and rules expansions!

If you'd like to support me you can buy (or download for free) my finished work from https://ko-fi.com/nanoteq_rpg or play-test them with me on my discord!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 11:42:09 AM »
I've got a couple train journeys over the weekend, I'll try and download it and have a playthrough then :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

ndnninja15

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 02:49:30 PM »
Is there a basic plot/setting? So far all I have for names is Block-buster  :P

Haha, reminds me of the old video rental shop, Blockbuster.

I do have some ideas in mind about a plot though this early in development I'm still focused on the gameplay/structure. I think within the next week or so I'll start fleshing out the character storyline.

^ Awesome, would love any feedback

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 04:44:24 PM »
I don't see what's wrong with using 2D Platformer as a name. At least you know what you're getting.

ndnninja15

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 05:03:15 AM »
Haha this is true.

I made a little totem thing to shoot fireballs. There's also a specific tile type that will block the fireballs from continuing movement left/right thru the map.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 05:10:04 AM by ndnninja15 »

ndnninja15

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 08:30:16 PM »
Workin on some levels

- Made buttons bigger
- Created a game over screen and a way to restart the level

This is a screen capture from my phone with the camera zoomed out

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 08:56:08 PM »
Some of the textures/tiling will need work, they cut off a bit oddly at the edges, but it looks fine for this stage certainly, good stuff. :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

ndnninja15

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 12:52:57 AM »
Yeah I agree, looks like some of the rocks just end and it's way too sharp. I will for sure go back through and make adjacent tiles to make it look better.

- Added platforms that can be jumped up through
- Added spikes which kill the player instantly, though will probably need to change up the colors a bit so it stands out more
- Added a horizontal lazers that knock the player around when colliding with them
- Added an end zone that brings the player back out to a level selector (will need to add some sort of animation or something and maybe a BONUS screen)

-Fire totems shoot both left and right and have tiles that block the fireballs to keep them from flying through the entire level
- Added a treasure chest (player must be next to the chest and to open, the player taps the chest itself though I can't show this from recording from a screen capture)
     Right now it dumps out like 10 coins but have yet to implement collision checks with them

ndnninja15

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 02:28:01 AM »
Did a bit of polishing today.

- Made the player slow down and speed up when moving instead of an abrupt halt.
- Stored level objects after initial loading so that reloading is faster after dying (got sick of waiting 10 secs to respawn, ha!)
- Have a little loading symbol pop up while a level loads from the "World 1" menu
- Collision checks for coins are now implemented though I need a way to convey that a treasure chest has been opened
- Moved player draw commands to the center of the screen so it's easier to see stuff on the left AND right side
- Made a new level

- Working on adding a grenade with two different types, a sticky type and a bouncy type
- Working on getting some numbers in the HUD to show number of coins
- Also cooking up some new tiles so things like the lava and the rock edges aren't so sharp

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 06:29:24 PM »
Had a bit of a playthrough - it all works well so far, everything's smooth, as I said above it probably wants some graphic polishing at some point.

Thoughts:
  • I wouldn't keep the "you died bitch" unless it really makes sense with whatever theming you're doing. Having a game that insults the player is often good but it needs to be witty if it does so :P
  • I ended up really wanting a button that let me switch my facing without moving in order to shoot the other way, especially on the tight ladder at the end of level 1. The crouch button could double up for this purpose.
  • Are the enemies meant to be snakes? It's not quite clear from the sprite at present.

ndnninja15

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 10:28:05 PM »
- I agree, I put that in there just for armadillo's but I've gotten rid of the bitch stuffs
- What do you mean by doubling up with the crouch button? Like holding the crouch button and pressing left or right to turn? I think I'm going to try and avoid single tile tight spots so this wouldn't be necessary. Either that or make the player a bit smaller than the tile sizes.
- I'm not exactly sure what they are. They kind of just appeared from some random sketch I made, but yeah they do seem like snakes.

What kind of phone were you playing it on, out of curiosity? My brother-in-law has a phone where the rendering doesn't look so good, so I'm trying to fix my OpenGL calls ATM.

DeepCandle Games

• RPG author and big nerd
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 07:19:10 AM »
Coming along nicely.

Worried about the scale of the controls in proportion to screen size, but I'm not sure what the true scale is so who knows.
I write many projects focused around RPGs and rules expansions!

If you'd like to support me you can buy (or download for free) my finished work from https://ko-fi.com/nanoteq_rpg or play-test them with me on my discord!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 06:29:30 PM »
I'm using a Nexus tablet, which is what I always use for android games - I find phones far too small to play on comfortably.

What I was thinking is that the first tap of the crouch button could switch the player's facing, so if you're not moving and you just tap it once you switch facing at the same time. I don't think that would affect any of its other functions (you could still have it so if you held it down and then pressed left or right the player moved in the right directions, for example, it would just be that if you were sitting still and crouching tapping it would change your facing). That might not be optimal, and you could just do it by avoiding tight ladders, but that restricts your level design more.

ndnninja15

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 04:34:08 AM »
^ I'm thinking of either reducing the player size or increasing the tile size that way the tight spots are avoided altogether.

I've been working on improving the tilesets and upgrading Open GL from version 1 to 2. It renders smoother with 2 but I'm not quite finished writing the new renderer yet.

Here's my WIP of the new tileset though.