Author Topic: Blinxed - 2D Action Platformer  (Read 10691 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: 2D Platformer (Still needs a name)
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 12:17:41 PM »
The grass definitely improves the look, nicely done :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

ndnninja15

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 04:19:24 AM »
^ Hey thanks!

Finally got my renderer updated to Open GL ES 2 and I'm lovin it. The matrix operations seem simpler though it was a bit of a hurdle to understand at first. I'm curious about writing some of my own shader programs.

Now that I've updated the render I can finally get back to adding more content to the game.

I added to the HUD showing bullets and coins picked up, see below.

I've also been brainstorming for some name ideas and hopefully I'll come up with something soon.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2016, 12:18:30 PM »
Featured this thread in September's "Updates from the Forge":

http://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4759

:)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

ndnninja15

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 04:05:57 AM »
Hey hey that is cool thanks!

After rewriting the game renderer I got a little burned out from code, I did mess around with some rotation and got the fireballs to spin so I'll probably draw up something new that looks cooler spinning. Though I've been spending my time drawing in order to recover from the code-a-thon. I'll probably get back to it within the next few days. Also came up with this level select mockup.

ndnninja15

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2016, 04:44:56 AM »
Been a little while since my last post since I went on a little art/drawing hiatus and haven't done too much with the code. I got around to upgrading my camera today to have a better view in the direction the player moves. Though it's still a little rusty and needs a little more work.

I also changed up the enemy "pathfinding" and it's not entirely working either, so they are floating right now. Before, I had them finding a path before the level would start and with bigger maps the loading time was taking too long for my tastes. My plan is to polish up both the camera and the enemy paths tomorrow.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2016, 11:44:18 AM »
Good luck! Finished organising Exilian's annual convention now so should hopefully be able to offer a bit more feedback/be around a bit more :)

ndnninja15

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2016, 04:49:42 AM »
I did a thing!

Been drawing my balls off to bring my art work up to par and have been getting into some Rick and Morty characters.

- Redrew my tiles and have decided to stick with pixel art. I'll more than likely be touching up the artwork further but I like the new colors better.

- Got the gun back in there though I have plans to make it lag a bit behind the player when moving and some other minor subtleties

- Added new buttons

- Added a armadillo little animation for finishing the level but it's a placeholder for now

- Watched a yt talk given by John Romero where he says the guys at id would polish as they went and would fix a bug the moment it was discovered. I decided to take on this approach instead of trying to get a rough cut of the entire game and then polishing later. So far so good. I've fixed a few minor things that aren't noticeable unless I bring it up so...

Here it is

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2016, 01:16:31 PM »
Looks a lot neater, great stuff - look forward to testing a newer version :)

ndnninja15

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Blinxed - 2D Action Platformer
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2016, 01:54:12 AM »
Thank you sir!

Today I worked on getting the game to run on my PC but am having a little ghosting issue. I think I have an idea of what's wrong and will test out a solution tomorrow. Will probably start working on some new levels after that.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 05:27:03 PM »
Blinxed - the Clone Wars edition? :P

ndnninja15

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2016, 02:06:17 AM »
Yes  ;D

So I fixed that issue days ago but have switched focus to my artwork. I get sick of working on code and switch, then when I get sick of drawing I'll switch back. But who knows when that'll be  ::)

Here's some stuff I've been drawing

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2016, 11:29:18 AM »
Nice stuff! Are you doing this freehand on a computer, or if not what art method are you using? :)

ndnninja15

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2016, 04:54:01 AM »
Thanks! Yeah I'm using a computer but I have a Wacom drawing tablet. I'll usually start with a sketch and shrink it down really small then draw with individual pixels. It's possible to do pixel art with a mouse but I don't recommend it. I started that way and the ball near my wrist started to ache so the tablet has been awesome.

Made another thing and think I'm startin to get the hang of this shading stuff

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2016, 10:41:51 AM »
Yeah, I've done freehand pixel art for a card game I'm designing, but that's designed very much to be blocky and low-grade. Then for the game I'm working on I've done "pixel art" by making photomontages on the computer, messing with the colours a bit, then crunching them down to a couple hundred pixels across and indexing the colours to reduce the palette. Which works surprisingly well - not very well, but it's alright.