Author Topic: Climates & season movement restrictions  (Read 3315 times)

DCLXVIMRTRVEBLAKKOKKVLTDCLXVI

• View Profile
    • Awards
Climates & season movement restrictions
« on: October 08, 2016, 01:38:53 PM »
Hi,

I'm currently working on a system which uses the climate 'buildings' to trigger 'traits' depending on climate, season and culture. Each culture would also need a trait description for all 6 seasons: early spring, spring, summer, late summer, autumn and winter. @xeofox could you give me some info for the nomad season mechanics and descriptions?

xeofox

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Climates & season movement restrictions
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 02:12:45 PM »
It`s need time. I will try to find info for this region.

Gigantus

• Sure the voices aren't real, but them has ideas!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 02:47:33 AM »
Hi,

I'm currently working on a system which uses the climate 'buildings' to trigger 'traits' depending on climate, season and culture. Each culture would also need a trait description for all 6 seasons: early spring, spring, summer, late summer, autumn and winter. @xeofox could you give me some info for the nomad season mechanics and descriptions?

There is no condition to directly test for climate in a region. What buildings are you referring to?
You could use the IsRegionOneOf condition and list the region ID's (not the names) of all regions that have a certain climate. Determining region Id's is a major time consuming undertaking (via in-game console command show cursorstat), so please consider if it is worth it. And if you do please copy a list with the region name - region ID here.
Did I mention that changes in regional borders will very likely change regionIDs? That's why this condition is used as sparingly as possible in traits and ancillaries (script can use region names) and only after the final map corrections.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 08:03:28 AM »
I understand your concern Gigantus, but so far, it seems like our climate system is doing alright. Try testing a campaign out and looking at all the different climates we have integrated into the game.
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 10:06:16 AM »
Well I found a way to indirectly determine the climate of a region via those climate buildings, it works great. I will soon commit my progress (but I'll rename those files).

Gigantus

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 12:47:27 PM »
Well I found a way to indirectly determine the climate of a region via those climate buildings, it works great. I will soon commit my progress (but I'll rename those files).

Having indestructible buildings to reference a group of regions is a much better way then regionIDs - I fully agree, I just wasn't aware the system was used in RTR, hence my question about 'what climate building'.
Using a building in a trigger requires for the character to be in the settlement - will that be enough?

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 10:17:47 PM »
What exactly should the trait descriptions say then?
''I found a city of bricks and left a city of marble''

Augustus

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 05:11:30 PM »
Something similar like EB, but for 6 seasons instead of 4

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 09:12:31 PM »
I have no idea what they are saying on EB haha Can you provide a sample?
''I found a city of bricks and left a city of marble''

Augustus

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 05:34:03 PM »
for example:

¬--------------------

{Steppe_Spring}   Spring

{Steppe_Spring_desc}
Spring is a time for fattening of horses, of (relatively) good weather. Campaigns are possible, but must be fast, unless the army is stuck in the middle of the steppe in summer.

{Steppe_Spring_effects_desc}
\n

¬--------------------

{Steppe_Summer}   Summer

{Steppe_Summer_desc}
No true nomad would ever campaign in the summer. The grass is dry, and cannot support enough horses to carry out a campaign. The steppe is hot, uncomfortable. It is a good time to move your herd on for greener pastures, and pray that the rain will come soon.

{Steppe_Summer_effects_desc}
Movement restrictions in arid regions are possible this season.

¬--------------------

{Steppe_Fall}   Autumn

{Steppe_Fall_desc}
It is time to saddle your horses, and ready for war. The horses have had time to fatten up, it is cooler, and the settled peoples are less likely to be ready for an attack. This is the traditional time for war.

{Steppe_Fall_effects_desc}
\n

¬--------------------

{Steppe_Winter}   Winter

{Steppe_Winter_desc}
Winter in the steppe is a blessing and a curse. Will you keep your herds together, seeking protection from the harsh winter? Or will you campaign? The rivers are frozen, allowing better crossing. The settled enemies will be hiding in their towns, not expecting attack.

{Steppe_Winter_effects_desc}
\n

Gigantus

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 04:11:36 AM »
I think your Steppe_Summer effect will have to be precise in word and effect, either the movement is restricted or not. Else have two summer traits, depending on the region the character is in.