Author Topic: quote or edit - the button conundrum  (Read 4567 times)

Gigantus

• Sure the voices aren't real, but them has ideas!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
quote or edit - the button conundrum
« on: October 09, 2016, 06:28:21 AM »
I recently quoted myself a few times instead of editing because I didn't pay proper attention, resulting in some embarrassing double posting - and then had a closer look at the circumstances.

Looking at the two buttons closely together at the top right one notices the absence of a really distinctive difference, eg color and\or shape. Changing one of the icons would be helpful. Or removing the top edit icon altogether seeing that there is another one below the message field on the right.

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: quote or edit - the button conundrum
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 11:14:38 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what the forum software will allow us to do with this, but it's on the list for attention. I'm also wondering why there are two "modify" buttons.

If you'd like duplicate posts removed, please let us know. I thought anyone could delete their own posts, but it might be available only for moderators and admins.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 12:06:09 PM »
The software certainly allows us to change/edit the icons in question.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Gigantus

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 02:10:44 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what the forum software will allow us to do with this, but it's on the list for attention. I'm also wondering why there are two "modify" buttons.

If you'd like duplicate posts removed, please let us know. I thought anyone could delete their own posts, but it might be available only for moderators and admins.

I didn't notice any option to delete my post, so I reported the posts as soon as I realized I double posted. Being an admin myself I know how annoying it is having those floating around

While I am here: how do I get a quick access to my subscriptions - I am a bit spoiled by TWC where I simply have a link that gives me a list with my subscribed threads that have new posts.
And am I supposed to have a 'Lock this topic' tick box in my 'attachments and other options' drop down?

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 04:57:48 PM »
I didn't notice any option to delete my post, so I reported the posts as soon as I realized I double posted. Being an admin myself I know how annoying it is having those floating around
Meanwhile, I've now deleted the posts that you reported as duplicates. Hopefully everything now looks the way you want it.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 06:47:32 PM »
If I recall rightly we just have the two buttons for "all unread posts" and "see new replies to your posts" up at the top rather than a dedicated "topic subscribe" system, we could look for mods that did that if it's important for people though.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Gigantus

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 04:51:01 AM »
Missed the 'new replies' link - that will do just fine, thanks.

More bugging - the 'Karma' is linked to [applaud] and [smite] I presume? A 'reputation' or 'like' feature?

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 07:42:43 AM »
More bugging - the 'Karma' is linked to [applaud] and [smite] I presume? A 'reputation' or 'like' feature?
Yes, exactly. "Applaud" increases someone's karma number; "smite" reduces it. Unfortunately the system doesn't tell us who has awarded (or removed) karma points, or when it's happened, and there's no means of saying why you're giving someone karma.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 10:32:55 AM »
We tried installing a proper reputation system like TWC has a while ago, but it broke everything so we gave up. (Indeed you'll probably notice that a lot of how Exilian functions feels a bit like a branch-off of TWC, unsurprisingly as TWC was really my first experience of a web community!)

Gigantus

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 11:23:44 AM »
Thanks for all the responses