Author Topic: Bug report thread  (Read 11013 times)

DCLXVIMRTRVEBLAKKOKKVLTDCLXVI

• View Profile
    • Awards
Bug report thread
« on: October 15, 2016, 03:27:35 PM »
Hi guys,

I noticed a few bugs and I noticed there isn't a bug thread yet so I made one.
The following bugs happened to me recently:
-Armoured hoplites have bugged shields (there's probably something wrong with the texture)
-Getae steppe archers have bugged textures
-Random CTD's that happen sometimes when loading both custom battles and campaign battles
-Loading CTD's that happen when certain units are present, including: mardian archers and persian archer-spearmen

If you notice any bugs/glitches/ctd's/etc. post them here

xeofox

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Bug report thread
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 03:41:22 PM »
I can`t start saka compaign

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 05:17:07 PM »
Thanks for reporting the error you get :)

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 05:25:14 PM »
I get this error sometimes when I start a custom battle: edit: I'm getting it every time :(
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 05:32:28 PM by ThatOldSchoolEmoDude »

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 08:25:35 PM »
Found another bug: the auto-management option in the campaign menu does exactly the opposite: if you check it, you'll able to manage all your settlements, if you uncheck it then auto-management is turned on

xeofox

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 10:03:28 PM »
Found another bug: the auto-management option in the campaign menu does exactly the opposite: if you check it, you'll able to manage all your settlements, if you uncheck it then auto-management is turned on
I think it`s my bug! I`ll try to fix it.

Gigantus

• Sure the voices aren't real, but them has ideas!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 02:48:27 AM »
I get this error sometimes when I start a custom battle: edit: I'm getting it every time
My bad - I messed around with the text string files, somehow the other two 'settlement name' files are linked although they shouldn't be. I suspect it's by way of outdated look up files.
Ahowl re-instated the files and it should work again.

I can't read the region name in the screenshot properly, what does it say? Area104A? If so then it doesn't make sense because it's present in the alexandria settlement name file (Umbria). It is however also present in the Battlefield settlement name file which I deleted together with the imperial name file (where it isn't present). I am going to run some tests which is the actually used name file - having three of them doesn't exactly help.

Found another bug: the auto-management option in the campaign menu does exactly the opposite:
Change the text to the original 'Manage all Settlements'

Gigantus

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 03:36:09 AM »
It appears there is indeed a maps\campaign\battlefield folder which necessitates the presence of a like wise named settlement name file. That folder only contains a descr_strat file and in my eyes is a leftover from previous modding attempts. This folder is inaccessible during game play: the 'Prologue' option leads nowhere as the required folder (sons_of_mars?) doesn't exists. Likewise a 'custom campaign' (provincial campaign) option is not available either - making the battlefield folder and it's connected settlement name file obsolete.
The maps\campaign\imperial_campaign folder doesn't exist at all - making the likewise named settlement name file redundant.

Incomplete removal of redundant\replaced files and folders will lead to a mess like this where no-one knows how stuff actually ties together or why it is present in the first place. 'Good housekeeping' is essential for team work like this.

The "campaign_map_reset" batch file works as intended: deleting the current map.rwm file (and two other, non existing ones) to force the game to generate a new map after changes were done in the maps\base folder. There is no need to have the map.rwm file versioned, same as the logs and entries in the preferences folder.

Renaming Rome {Town101T} to Tokyo in the alexander settlement name file and deleting map.rwm resulted in the anticipated change in settlement name and the generating of a new map.rwm file without any error messages.
Running the launcher apps resulted in these modified files as expected:
  • launcher.log
  • launcher.user.cfg
  • rome.log
It would seem that entries in .gitignore are unreliable\outdated - map.rwm is listed twice and yet gets flagged every time it's changed

My recommendations:
  • delete the campaign\battlefield folder and it's connected settlement name file
  • delete the obsolete imperial settlement name file
  • unversion the map.rwm file
  • unversion the above launcher files
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 06:18:21 AM by Gigantus »

godbefa

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 06:39:10 AM »
hi guys, i have a problem when i try to fight the illiryans  ;D :'(

sube imagenes

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 08:38:56 AM »
Here you go, place the file into your MM/data folder and overwrite the file. Thanks for the bug find!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xqyfu178x3mcc2u/descr_model_battle.txt
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

xeofox

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 12:16:05 PM »
after last pull custome batle don`t work without error (back to prev. menu)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 04:56:26 PM by xeofox »

Gigantus

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 12:57:03 PM »
This is getting ridiculous - I restored the battlefields folder and it's settlement name folder and the custom battle started to load. Only to crash with a missing texture message.

I have a suspicion that it's not the file in the folder but the presence of the folder as such that causes the return to the previous menu. I will test this by adding a dummy file to the folder.

Edit: I give up - the dummy doesn't work. It has to be the descr_strat file. Which does not make any sense at all. Unless all the custom battles are somehow linked to that folder.
I am going to restore the folder and the files.

Edit2: as sure as rain SEGA had to pull a really genius stroke here. It obviously means that there is no direct connection between the battles and the battlefield folder other then some sloppy coding. And here I am still wondering why I am usually not modding RTW. Thankfully they fixed that in M2TW.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 01:19:37 PM by Gigantus »

xeofox

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 01:15:47 PM »

this eror was before also (if i use in custome buttle random units for carthage -some units with bug)

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 04:04:56 PM »
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Gigantus

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2016, 05:05:40 PM »
I know, paragraph 8 - still doesn't make any sense. Pretty much everything else is fairly logical in that long list - just not this.