Author Topic: Player formations  (Read 2627 times)

DCLXVIMRTRVEBLAKKOKKVLTDCLXVI

• View Profile
    • Awards
Player formations
« on: November 02, 2016, 11:02:17 AM »
Hi guys,

I don't think most player formations in rtw are that useful so I'm thinking of replacing them with more useful ones.
I already had these in mind:
-Single Line
-Right Echelon (useful to perform the Oblique order tactic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go3SY7jGG7c )
-Left Echelon (idem dito)
-phalanx with intervals - more flexible units are placed in the intervals (especially useful when playing as the seleucid empire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfFNNLyAWGE&feature=youtu.be&list=LLgwiRfyr4DDLo1lv3_5hkYA&t=107 )
-Column

There are 3 more slots for player so tell me what you think would be useful
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:10:10 AM by ThatOldSchoolEmoDude »

Vrosivs Avgvstvs Rakvs

• A Bustle in Your Hedgerow
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Player formations
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 07:42:40 PM »
I can't remember what the default Roman one from RTRPE is called, the checkerboard one, but that one should deffo be present too :)
Rome Total Realism Project Dev Team Member and  Head of Public Relations
RTR VII Beta Tester/Dev Team Member
-----------------------------------------
"Coasting through the intermission that separates day from day, I find myself feeling oddly at peace with reality. Despite everything, I think life will workout in the end. The world, as as I see it is a remarkable place." - DukeCanada, the interstellar wanderer.
Proud patron of Aule_the_creator

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 12:53:23 PM »
The question is: is it useful to the player? I want to add more basic formations that are directly usefull to the player, like an echelon formation which is very useful to perform the obilque order tactic. Any formation slot should be used for a formation that offers a tactical advantage to the player, otherwise the player (at least me) won't use it and as a result it's a wasted formation slot.

Vrosivs Avgvstvs Rakvs

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 07:15:35 PM »
The question is: is it useful to the player? I want to add more basic formations that are directly usefull to the player, like an echelon formation which is very useful to perform the obilque order tactic. Any formation slot should be used for a formation that offers a tactical advantage to the player, otherwise the player (at least me) won't use it and as a result it's a wasted formation slot.

I consider it a must when I play Romans or other factions with skirmisher melees. It really is effective when you have such a roster.
"Coasting through the intermission that separates day from day, I find myself feeling oddly at peace with reality. Despite everything, I think life will workout in the end. The world, as as I see it is a remarkable place." - DukeCanada, the interstellar wanderer.

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 07:27:06 PM »
Okay we'll use that formation then. I might remove the phalanx with intervals from the list since this formation can be achieved by selecting units in the right order and then forming a single line, but I think this formation might be useful to the AI, but it would require testing to see if it handles it well.

Vrosivs Avgvstvs Rakvs

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 07:36:10 PM »
Well since there's 2 more slots free, why not keep it just in case, until or if we find another one?