Author Topic: Hello, I'm DukeCanada, a former team member.  (Read 3454 times)

dukecanada

• View Profile
    • Awards
Hello, I'm DukeCanada, a former team member.
« on: December 01, 2016, 05:35:44 PM »
Hello RTR8 team!

I'm DukeCanada, a former team member that joined back during the RTRVII:TIC days primarily as a bug tester and I did some PR stuff. When RTRVII:FOE launched there was very real concerns about burnout amongst the team (many of whom had commitments outside of the TW modding scene), and partway through RTRVII grand campaign development we were hit with the Tony scandal - it was around this time that my academic career began to get busier and I lost touch with the team.

I was recently contacted by the illustrious Vrosivs Avgvstvs Rakvs (or as I often refer to him, V) and asked if I had any old RTR files - unfortunately I do not and I apologize for that. I was nonetheless encouraged to come say hello, so here I am.

About Me

As my name implies, I'm Canadian living near Toronto. I'm 23, currently a graduate student studying health policy and I do research for some local companies on a part-time basis.

Much to my dismay I've not done a great job of staying in contact with the RTR crowd unless we chose to add each other on Facebook at some point. I think former & current RTR members might be delighted to hear that having an in-depth knowledge of Graeco-Roman history has, at times, actually helped in the dating departments (I honestly never saw that coming) and with my GPA during the undergrad years (although I'm in a completely unrelated field). Gaming, as a hobby, has unfortunately dropped off in favour of travel, drinking, sport, and everything else that only serves to infuriate us - but I never really lost my passion for looking for historical accuracy in video games/movies (when I get the chance) and I think I can attribute that to my time with RTR.

Reflection on my time with RTR

I joined at an interesting time because RTR was somewhat hot on the heels of RTR7 burning out, there was a legacy with RTR6 that was still immensely popular and difficult to live up to, Empire Total War was just being launched to abysmal acclaim, and the modding community seemed like an excellent way to advance what we loved about the TW series. At that time you could see Tony, Macedon, and other names of the time throughout the TWC forums and it was quite exciting to be involved. I stuck around for 2 years and the project became something I looked forward to working on everyday - and the awesome TWC community made it fun to stick around. I think modding communities have become the heart & soul of gaming in many ways - it's what builds a fan base and keeps them coming back, especially for TW, and I'm glad that I was able to be part of that for a while. It's sad that a scandal and burnout got to us in the end but I don't regret any of it.

That's it! I wish you all continued success in your modding endeavours!

So that's the long and short of who I am

Vrosivs Avgvstvs Rakvs

• A Bustle in Your Hedgerow
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Hello, I'm DukeCanada, a former team member.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 05:54:04 PM »
Hi Duke!!!
So stoked to see you dropping by to say hi! Man I waited for this reunion for so long haha :D
Hang in there with the studies, wish you all the best and fingers crossed you make a great career :D
Also, thank you a ton for your wishes, and I hope to see you around here from time to time, you are always more than welcome here, this is especially true for all of the old gang!
Rome Total Realism Project Dev Team Member and  Head of Public Relations
RTR VII Beta Tester/Dev Team Member
-----------------------------------------
"Coasting through the intermission that separates day from day, I find myself feeling oddly at peace with reality. Despite everything, I think life will workout in the end. The world, as as I see it is a remarkable place." - DukeCanada, the interstellar wanderer.
-----------------------------------------
Proud patron of Aule_the_creator

Puki194

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 06:05:34 PM »
Warm welcome to you :D
"Towards the rich archaic heavens; towards the black diorama
you are the artist and the texture
that plays with the mantle of the Earth" - In Flames

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 05:44:14 AM »
Wow good to hear from you Duke, just in time for our third beta release :)
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

dukecanada

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 06:48:26 AM »
Thanks everyone! You have a very cool thing going on here.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 10:03:30 PM »
Welcome to Exilian! Let me know if you ever need anything from an admin POV :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 09:10:29 PM »
Oh, nice to see you are alive! I still remember your great campaign reports back then on TWC fondly, especially when we compared our most epic battles  ;D  I did continue with RTR these past few years for the same reason to stay in touch with the community (I still talk to Maurits and CaligulaCaesar occasionaly, and yes, JaM is still working on R2TR), so it's brilliant to see another face from the old team returning  :)
''I found a city of bricks and left a city of marble''

Augustus